Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crashes and Freeze of game since 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Crashes and Freeze of game since 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

airessius
04.17.2013 , 05:05 AM | #81
Hi,

I want to share some information that I've found so far which fixed my problem.

First of all, a freezing system may have one or many problems. The following info may or may not work for your system.
My case was as follows and it seems I've fixed my problem for now:

My laptop configuration was as follows:
DELL Studio XPS 1645
4GB RAM (2x2GB 1333mhz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1

I was encountering random system freeze's during game play. I had to force the laptop to shutdown by holding the powerbutton 10seconds in order to restart my system. And even after restart sometimes the computer was not working. The computer's heat was at normal levels. I dissassembled' the laptop and cleaned the fan's. I placed a better cooler under my laptop, but nothing changes.

I run advanced Memory test and diagnose tool which is available on my BIOS. And The computer freeze during memory test. I re-executed the Memory test just to be sure, and the computer freeze again. So I thought that my RAM's are defective.
I replaced my RAM's with 2x4GB 1333Mhz Kinston SODIMM. How ever I've encountered same freeze problem with same frequency. I was almost going crazy.

Out of nowhere I had the idea that, may be if I disable Intel SpeedStep feature from BIOS menu , my laptop can run more stable.
So I disabled Intel SpeedStep feature from BIOS menu, and since then (for 3 days) I did not encounter any freezing issue.
May be during gameplay Operating System is unable to manipulate CPU frequency and voltage correctly and this is causing the CPU to overheat and eventually freeze. Disabling SpeedStep (or the AMD equivalent PowerNow!) causes the CPU to work always at same frequency and voltage (which may consume more battery on laptops).
May be the main problem is related with explorer crash too, but I don't know whether SpeedStep is related with explorer.exe process of windows.

For More information about SpeedStep please read (and take a peek at "Problems when using SpeedStep" section):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

Warning: I'm a computer engineer. Although I'm not a hardware expert type, I know most of the things that I'm messing with. (like re-configuring BIOS settings, disassembling laptop, replacing RAM's etc.) . Kindly please, do not try anything awkward and damage your PC, if you need help, ask an expert to do it for you.