Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crashes and Freeze of game since 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Crashes and Freeze of game since 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tiggy
10.12.2012 , 10:02 AM | #41
I'm already on 64 bit Windows 7 Thanks anyway
The Nac'mac'feegle Legacy
Healosaurusrex - Afk'sammich - Ohaithar

ArcTrooperElite
10.12.2012 , 10:06 AM | #42
Since 1.4 i've been crashing 6 to 8 times per day. most crashes occur either in wz, during load screens, or on fleet. It's really quite sad because the patches since 1.3 have all be moving things in the right direction performance wise and now the game performs worse than ever (with the exception that my graphics seem prettier now and yes the setting are the same). lag spikes in WZ's are terrible and i feel bad that i keep crashing in WZ's which no doubt screws my team over.

Cyberberus
10.12.2012 , 10:07 AM | #43
I had rare IE: normal to be expected issues pre 1.3.

When 1.3 came out I no longer have the ability to run SWTOR more than once without re-booting my system (unable to load application configuration) and CTD only happened occasionally on my days off when I would play for several hours.

With 1.4 I still can't restart the game without a reboot and CTD happens repeatedly.

Assassin Pandas scared the execs into forcing 1.4 out before it was ready, ok fine, now its time to admit there is a problem and fix the fracking thing

HuaRya
10.12.2012 , 10:23 AM | #44
Hey guys I think I found a rudimentary work around for when the fever meter seems to freeze at 25%. In fact it's worked every time for me.

Simply, hit the 'Windows Logo' key between the control and the alt thus downsizing the program. For some reason that does something to kick that fever meter three quarters of the way to 75% and then your character will load. You will see this when you click SWTOR in your task menu.

Something about that startup screen fever meter hang time that is inaccurate. This is why if you quit out and log back into SWTOR it tells you that you currently have another toon logged in.

Neoforcer
10.12.2012 , 10:27 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by thasensei View Post
Just to add some data to this issue which may help others (or BW)...

I was having this crash-to-desktop problem consistently for a couple months - starting in 1.3 and becoming more frequent after 1.4. By consistent, I mean roughly once every couple hours of play, sometimes more frequently.

Previously, I was on Windows 7 x86. A few days ago I bit the bullet and reformatted my system and installed Windows 7 x64. Since I've been running a 64bit OS, I haven't had one single crash.

If I had to guess, I would say it's related to memory constraints placed on 32bit Windows. I have 6GB RAM in my system, but 32bit Win7 only makes 4GB available. 64bit Win7 makes all 6GB available, and I haven't had one single crash yet.

Tested my dual boot gaming rig with a fresh install of windows 7 64 bit and still get the same crashes. I normally play on vista as i never set up windows 7 with Teamspeak. So windows 7 64bit is a clean boot with just windows patches and current drivers and software to run swtor.

Caldorn
10.12.2012 , 10:30 AM | #46
Its so much fun to get booted from the game, or have it freeze up every couple hours. And even haveing to reboot my putter some times because it totaly locks up, ever since the 1.4 patch. And lets not forget the 5X longer loading scree times. And yet all the devs post here is "its your putter, try this or that, and it has nothing to do with the game". They have had the OP jumping thru hoops with the same resalts, they should probly pay him for helping them relize what we all knew already, Its something to do with the 1.4 patch.

And yet it still does not show up in the list of known problums with the latest patch notes (atlest I dont see it there).

I have to agree with the op, if this doesnt get fixed before I have to renew my sub I probly wont be . Its just to hard to injoy the game when you crash all the time.
Spelling is over rated... Specaily when your drunk most of the time anyways...

wizardaeon
10.12.2012 , 10:35 AM | #47
Update: Ive been having the problem since 1.4.
I think the issue stems from memory. Not really sure what the technical problem is, but how the game handles memory seems to be the problem.
Every patch, the game has longer load screens. Ive waited for a que to pop, get teleported to a flashpoint, only to get booted by the group for taking so long to load.
Lets face it. You design a game you tell people what the technical recquirements are. That tells them whether they should buy the game or not. But you dont change the recquirements a few weeks or months later after people have already bought the game and are playing.
I could understand if the game was out for a couple of years and this was an expansion, but come on- its only been, what, 10 months since release and 1 patch makes it nearly impossible to play the game?
Some features of 1.4 need to be rolled back. The overall game engine needs to be seriously looked at and how it handles memory. If you want to keep your current customers and get new customers, you have to consider that not everybody has the money to upgrade just to play one game. And some people are already running at RECOMMENDED settings.
I really love this game but I spend most of my time trying to "fix" problems so my game doesnt crash and I would like shorter load times. I think these issues need to be hammered out before more content is released. Quality is important.
METAKRON-lv50-Marauder-Jedi Covenant
ELDAAR-lv50-Guardian-Jedi Covenant

GinoZito
10.12.2012 , 12:56 PM | #48
At least you all are able to get into the game and play. I can't get past the character selection screen before it hangs and I have to kill it. I can't even finish changing the graphics properties before it hangs.

TerragShugo
10.12.2012 , 01:09 PM | #49
I've NEVER crashed, no bs, not once since game day launch..(did crash a few times durring beta test though)....until now. Since 1.4 I've crashed 12 times now. There is obviously a very serious problem...and they've gone and broken something that NEEDS to be fixed asap.

12 times since 1.4.......before that...NEVER!

True Story.

TerragShugo
10.12.2012 , 01:11 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by ArcTrooperElite View Post
Since 1.4 i've been crashing 6 to 8 times per day. most crashes occur either in wz, during load screens, or on fleet. It's really quite sad because the patches since 1.3 have all be moving things in the right direction performance wise and now the game performs worse than ever (with the exception that my graphics seem prettier now and yes the setting are the same). lag spikes in WZ's are terrible and i feel bad that i keep crashing in WZ's which no doubt screws my team over.
yes, this /\ exactly.