Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please Completely REMOVE PvP from SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Please Completely REMOVE PvP from SWTOR

Anzel
09.27.2012 , 02:24 PM | #1
I watched in horror for over two years while the team over at SOE and LucasArts tried to "balance" and "re-balance" and "re-balance the entire game just to satisfy the so-called "PvP Community". This "balance" was never achieved and the "community" was never satisfied. Ever. Ultimately we ended up with the NGE which was almost as popular as New Coke and the rest is history.

One of my greatest fears for SWTOR was that EA/BioWare would fall into the same trap and suffer this never ending cycle of balance and re-balance. Early on during beta we had Georg Zoeller and others that kept the community in line. They didn't cave into every little cry of, "Nerf this" and "Nerf that". For the most part things went smoothly.

However, during the last three game updates we have seen changes that were dramatic enough where a complete and total refund of skill points were necessary.

Game Update 1.2 - Legacy (4/12/2012)

Game Update 1.3 - Allies (6/26/2012)

Game Update 1.4 Terror From Beyond (9/26/2012)

Additionally... and possibly even more disturbing is that we have seen new features being held back to just to satisfy the "PvP Community". During Game Update 1.2 - Legacy there were legacy skills actually listed in the game named "Celerity I and Celerity II". These legacy skills were intended to give all of your characters in the legacy an increase to their sprint modifier. However when Game Update 1.3 - Allies hit PTS these abilities were mysteriously gone from the game. When asked why we were told the following by William Wallace:

Quote:
Will Wallace (Senior Designer): There were both internal and external balance concerns about allowing players to purchase upgrades to Sprint speed, especially as it related to advantages in Warzones. We don't want someone to feel like they have to have an optional purchase to be competitive in PvP. The Priority Transport perks were created as a replacement since they are beneficial for all players without upsetting the balance of the game.

Let's all be honest with each other for a moment here. PvP has no real place in this game. It's not part of the story. It almost seems to be an afterthought as it is. There are only 4 maps (yes you reading that right... FOUR whole maps. Not even good ones) where the same 16 people are killing each other over and over again. So basically this game and its entire community is meant to suffer because the same tiny group of people complain over and over and over again and will never... and I mean NEVER be satisfied.

EA/BioWare: Stick to what you are good at which is... Interactive, Cinematic, Story Telling and Role Playing. Let these folks go kill each other over and over again in MW3 or COD3 or Halo4 or whatever pleases them. They represent such a minute portion of your subscriber base yet you are KILLING YOUR GAME trying to please them. They will never be satisfied and you will ultimately be left with nothing but an empty, twisted shell of what you set out to create.

Find the courage to develop the game that 99% of players want to really play. More story. More cooperative play. More customization. More role play. More progression.

Please completely remove PvP from SWTOR.
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

ZORG
09.27.2012 , 02:30 PM | #2
Ide be happy if PVP was only on PVP servers. If you want warzones go onto a pvp server.
Have 2 builds of the game one where all is balanced and one thats for PVE..

BTW prepare to be flamed OP
Fear leads to Anger
Anger leads to hate
HATE leads to suffering

maxilo
09.27.2012 , 02:33 PM | #3
no flame, no flame. I will vote for you mr Prime minister. Pvp for pvp'ers wow that's a concept i can get on board with

Sarfux
09.27.2012 , 02:33 PM | #4
agreed. PvP is not this game. This game is rp/pve game.

Screw pvp. It is def not this game
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

MOPSFounder
09.27.2012 , 02:34 PM | #5
This thread looks kinda similar to this thread, honestly (I mean in terms of "doom").

Anywho... WHAT?! If SWTOR's PvP was removed altogether, a lot of players would be unhappy like I would and would be out of this game faster than a heartbeat.

This game would be killed before F2P would hit!

maxilo
09.27.2012 , 02:35 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MOPSFounder View Post
This thread looks kinda similar to this thread, honestly.

Anywho... WHAT?! If SWTOR's PvP was removed altogether, a lot of players would be unhappy like I would and would be out of this game faster than a heartbeat.

This game would be killed before F2P would hit!
no sir, you mis understand let pvp go to pvp servers ?

and leave the rest of us (that enjoy the game's pve) alone

TUXs
09.27.2012 , 02:37 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by maxilo View Post
no sir, you mis understand let pvp go to pvp servers ?

and leave the rest of us (that enjoy the game's pve) alone
The game included PvP, even during development. You have no argument.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

cloudwalkerrr
09.27.2012 , 02:37 PM | #8
i enjoy pve/rp/pvp on the server that im on.. I have no issues with this game but id be upset if i had to leave my guild to go play warzones on a pvp server.

Sivlar
09.27.2012 , 02:42 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
If anyone were to suggest removing RP, they'd face a ban I bet...
I suggest removing RP. All those folks that do nothing but emote crap back and forth to each other on the fleet and in the various planetary cantinas are causing extra server lag

GnatB
09.27.2012 , 02:42 PM | #10
Competitive PvP is all about the players skills/reflexes/etc. determining whether (s)he wins or loses.
Good RPG is all about the characters skills/stats/etc. determining whether the character wins or loses.

This is an RPG. Competitive PvP in this game makes no sense and will simply never be satisfying. The core mechanics of the two concepts are 100% at odds with each other. It Just Doesn't Work.