Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

After a night of PVP Mercenary with the 1.4 Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
After a night of PVP Mercenary with the 1.4 Changes

Krozis
09.27.2012 , 07:44 AM | #1
Last night I was looking forward to playing many of my 50's in pvp that got buffed, especially my Merc. I've tried not to be too critical about some of the changes to merc until I could really dig my teeth into them.

After playing most of my 50's yesterday and comparing the buffs (for PVP specifically) I quite honestly think Mercs got the cruddiest deal of all the 'buffed' classes for this patch.

I PVP'd extrensively last night with most of my 50's (saving the jugg for last!) I wanted to spend most of the evening on my Sorc but had to divert to the Merc because I'm so attached to him.

================================================== ==========
Root in PVP:

I have to agree with the majority on this one, the root is quite simply asinine. I can't count the amount of times I would root a warrior/jedi and just get rooted right back. That was really frustrating. Absolutely just being honest here, but it is completely idiotic to tie a root (without a knockback) to our EXTREMELY immobile, ranged class. Even Sorc's with true slows and roots, have knocbacks tied to them (even though they actually have a mechanic that allows them to create a gap!).

That root is just idiotic and proves to me that they can't possibly PVP at a competitive level with their (merc) characters.

================================================== ====

Heal in PVP:

The heal? I tried to reserve judgment on this but it is also asinine. My initial complaint was the ridiculous notion of tying yet ANOTHER ability to -tracer missile-. The sorcs just got an independent heal.... why can't we?

So in PVP I found it nearly useless. As I had feared, my insta-heal is better anyway, and doesn't cause me to lose DPS. It gets to a point where you think during your rotation...

" Do I fire a rail shot with Tracer Lock stacks and finish this guy? Or do I 'bank' it because I think 2 Shadows are about to open up on my immobile, buttockular region?"

This heal is -nearly- as bad a buff as the Rocket Punch.

================================================== ===========

Conclusion:
I never had a chance to flip back to Pyrotech. In Arsenal I was unable hit 500k last night. I think my highest match was a 425000 Huttball where everyone was just death-matching anyway.

Most of the night I was hunted by Shadows ('sins) and Scounds (Ops) testing out their new toys.

Bioware I'd say out of all the class 'buffs' you gave out, Merc lost again. The REAL SCARY part of this is in public you may say this is part of a 'process' but we know you have other classes to move on to and I wouldn't be surprised if with your (admittedly limited) resources you feel you've washed your hands of the Mercenary issues. You'd be wrong in that belief.

And just so anyone reading this knows, I have no vested interest in this class anymore. I have several 50's, and most of them are geared enough to do whatever I want to in game. It just so happens I used to enjoy my Merc the most.

That being said the reality is my Shadow improved markedly. Thank you for that. My Operative is thankful for the burst run (although this has a hidden stealth nerf in it), and I thank you for that. My Juggernaut is looking very promising, and my Sorc (most surprisingly of all) is really loving that Stun Bubble, and to a lesser degree the nice little insta heal that doesn't cost me a stack of Tracer Locks.

You screwed up on this class yet again BW.

AdmiralParmesan
09.27.2012 , 08:02 AM | #2
Well while I play a dps sorc I can say I agree with what is said here from my understanding of how the Merc class works. The instant heal stack being tied to tracer missile just furthers Merc dependence on tracer missile which any smart player interrupts in the first place (madness sorcs have a similar problem with their reliance on force lightning)

If it makes you feel any better the Sorc heal for dps only heals for about 2.5k (up to 5k crit) out of combat without the trama healing debuff or mara/sniper healing debuff. So its not that great either. Even though I do not play a Merc, I was sincerely hoping that Merc Dps would be more viable for pvp.

Still it is a fundamental problem in pvp design to have a casting based class have it's filler creating most of the damage and being the singular method of obtaining valuable procs.

Krozis
09.27.2012 , 08:09 AM | #3
Honestly after last night I felt more inclined to play my Sorc than my Merc. That's 100% honest.

And by saying this, no, I do not feel Sorcs are 'awesome' but at this point if I had to choose between the two, I actually found the Sorc more survivable. Not survivable as in 'I can take more damage than you', but more survivable through utility.

I did use the sorc heal extensively (had to remind myself sometimes to use it). I played pure Lightning for fun, and the Stun Bubble is actually a pleasant surprise. I didn't think it would make any real, or tangible difference but it did. It -delayed- a lot of Sentinel ambushes. At least this gave me breathing room. It wasn't overpowered, but at least I wasn't so helpless at that point.

The merc on the other hand? I logged out at the end of the night feeling fairly defeated by those class 'buffs'. Really if you're being honest, and play ranked PVP (as I do) I don't know how you could feel good about the merc changes in any way, especially since I suspect Bioware probably considers them 'fixed' now.

Ionna
09.27.2012 , 08:18 AM | #4
definitely in a worse spot pvpwise post 1.4...made for an unfun noght of pvping

bahdasz
09.27.2012 , 01:19 PM | #5
I HATE that everyone always says "Arsenal is sooo bad". I'm sure it is, but let's not forget that it's still 5x better than Pyrotech. Some of us like Pyrotech and it has NEVER been worth a crap in PVP. I shouldn't have to play Arsenal to PVP.

FIX ALL OF THE MERCENARY CLASSES, THEY ALL NEED IT!

umamma
09.27.2012 , 05:01 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by bahdasz View Post
I HATE that everyone always says "Arsenal is sooo bad". I'm sure it is, but let's not forget that it's still 5x better than Pyrotech. Some of us like Pyrotech and it has NEVER been worth a crap in PVP. I shouldn't have to play Arsenal to PVP.

FIX ALL OF THE MERCENARY CLASSES, THEY ALL NEED IT!
Pyro Merc is better off then Arsenal in PvP. Arsenal IMHO is completely broken(in PvP). They need a significant overhaul to that tree.

That being said Pyro merc still desperately needs some survival skills. Any melee that can snare, root us and do good damage will destroy us(good players). 'Sweltering Heat' nerf to 30% is well below what melee classes have. So our counters become Jet Boost (25 sec), Electrocute (1min), and 'Energy Shield' (2min).

Wraiven
09.27.2012 , 10:06 PM | #7
Glad you made this post...it just adds to the one I started. But to listen to others tell it, they love the changes. With the people who love the changes, defending Biowares move here, it's going to be very difficult to get anything fixed. What's sad, is people saying in different ways, "Learn to adapt". I am a pretty darn good Merc, I adapted not even 5 minutes after trying it out. Just because I am good with my Merc and adapted, does not mean I have to like the change. Meh...
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kn (Guardian) Krll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xin (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

Henu
09.28.2012 , 12:08 AM | #8
my sig says it all.
Kript - SNX - Harby, Yes its a PVE server but honestly there isn't a lot of open world PVP on the other servers anyway.

Serroturkio
09.28.2012 , 06:48 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Krozis View Post
Bioware I'd say out of all the class 'buffs' you gave out, Merc lost again.
You screwed up on this class yet again BW.
Simply this is it... Sadly...
I do have other Chars... But I like my BH MERC.... And I do not want to play other CHARS... I want my MERC to be decent enough for this GAME... Thats should not be very difficult to do BW?

Ycoga
09.28.2012 , 06:57 AM | #10
So... less people playing Pyro then?
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasnt fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny