Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sound effect changes since 1.4. Please give us your reason, Devs.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Sound effect changes since 1.4. Please give us your reason, Devs.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DashaAdair
09.27.2012 , 04:15 PM | #21
This may not seem like a big thing, but making 'small' changes has a large impact. Players become conditioned to the sights and sounds of the game. We build an unspoken training routine that includes aural cues. All of those cues help us develop a sense of what is going on and helps us reinforce things are going as they should. At this juncture in the game's life the last thing you want to do is unsettle the players.

Build new content, don't tinker with things that are working fine. If you are using the low hanging fruit philosophy you can stray into dangerous ground.

YMMV

zenseed
09.27.2012 , 04:40 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DashaAdair View Post
This may not seem like a big thing, but making 'small' changes has a large impact. Players become conditioned to the sights and sounds of the game. We build an unspoken training routine that includes aural cues. All of those cues help us develop a sense of what is going on and helps us reinforce things are going as they should. At this juncture in the game's life the last thing you want to do is unsettle the players.

Build new content, don't tinker with things that are working fine. If you are using the low hanging fruit philosophy you can stray into dangerous ground.

YMMV

This exactly! Everything is off kilter since the update.

~Ra'oz Ati~
Valcyn - SPA, Bloodfin - MEOW, IMP
SWTOR - ?

MillionsKNives
09.27.2012 , 06:48 PM | #23
I just got a chance to try my merc. Oh my god that's awful. Why do my missiles whisper at my enemies. Firing my guns is significantly louder. My missiles should sound and feel visceral, because...they're missiles. I feel like I'm firing water balloons at my enemies.

Aerilas
09.28.2012 , 04:39 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by dashaadair View Post
this may not seem like a big thing, but making 'small' changes has a large impact. Players become conditioned to the sights and sounds of the game. We build an unspoken training routine that includes aural cues. All of those cues help us develop a sense of what is going on and helps us reinforce things are going as they should. At this juncture in the game's life the last thing you want to do is unsettle the players.

Ymmv
this.

Goretzu
09.28.2012 , 05:15 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
I just got a chance to try my merc. Oh my god that's awful. Why do my missiles whisper at my enemies. Firing my guns is significantly louder. My missiles should sound and feel visceral, because...they're missiles. I feel like I'm firing water balloons at my enemies.
I like the BH gun change, but some of the other sound changes are a bit not so good.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

MillionsKNives
09.28.2012 , 07:41 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
To clarify, I'm pretty sure that the gun sounds haven't changed. But my missiles should not be exploding at a quieter level than my guns.

warultima
09.28.2012 , 08:01 AM | #27
New to Cartel Shop.

Smuggler pre-1.4 sound effect pack. 499 CC.
Trooper pre-1.4 sound effect pack. 499 CC.
Scoundrel & Operative UH/TA proc giggle sound pack. 199 CC.
and so on.
| Lv50 Madness Sorc | Lv50 Annihilation Marauder |
| Lv50 Pyrotech Power Tech | Lv50 Medicine Operative |
| Lv50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Lv 26 Darkness Assassin |

Aerilas
09.28.2012 , 04:15 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by warultima View Post
New to Cartel Shop.

Smuggler pre-1.4 sound effect pack. 499 CC.
Trooper pre-1.4 sound effect pack. 499 CC.
Scoundrel & Operative UH/TA proc giggle sound pack. 199 CC.
and so on.
i so see this happening

FINNT
09.29.2012 , 05:28 AM | #29
Has anyone else got Bowdaars (smuggler companion) voice completely garbled? Its so bad, it can't be designed.
:laser:

MrLeee
09.30.2012 , 01:10 AM | #30
Any update on this? Is it a bug or intended? Was it in the patch notes, I don't remember seeing anything about it.

Why change this BioWare?
It's a small change, but a very unneeded change!!!
Prefers blasters over hokey religions and ancient weapons.