Sound effect changes since 1.4. Please give us your reason, Devs.

Aerilas

Hi there,

I'm a scoundrel healer who read the patch notes of 1.4 VERY thoroughly since I also raid as a tank and have cleared everything (starting on TFB) and want to be updated on every change.

Now when I got back online after the patch i was eager to farm comms for EWH pieces.

Not long did it take for me to realize something was off, and by not long i mean up until i got my first few stacks of Upper hand and used Emergency Medpack.

Yet, did I use Emergency Medpack? Idk. I was surrounded by enemies and flames so I temporarily didn't have my visual aid of the snake coming out of my scoundrel to instaheal my teammates.

And with this, at first i heard no sound at all. This threw me off of my game by a lot.

I wasn't sure if I healed, so I totally lost track of the number of stacks of Upper Hand I had left since I usually just look once and listen from then on to the +1 and -1.

Later on I started noticing there actually IS a sound now for Emergency Medpack, yet its very, VERY muffled.

I played an operative healer to lv 28 to have realized this sound is the same sound as the main cast heal from an operative, but, a lot softer.

I don't know about you other scoundrel healers but this kind of ticked me off, I'm missing heals now and performing a lot less proficiently than I used to.

Apart from all this, I saw topics on the fact that the sound of Charged Burst for gunslingers and scoundrels, as well as Grav Round for Commando's has been changed.

Devs could you please post an explanation for this in this topic? I would really like to know why these decisions have been made, or rather, if they are just bugs that will be resolved soon.

Edited by Aerilas

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on my pve only arsenal merc the sound for tracer missile is rubbish now and is barely able to be heard while casting, and when tracer missile hits the target the sound effect has been changed to a much quieter sound and makes tracer missile seem like it' has very little impact, whereas prior to 1.4 it had a good bassy thump to it which was a ******** better than the **** sounds it has now

There's a thread about this in the Smuggler forum: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=536773 but I don't think it's very visited by the QA team or the developers.

Basically the sound for Charged Burst is replaced with the sound of Flurry of Bolts (Flurry of Bolts sounds like a water gun shooting), and it really put you off as you mention above.

Edited by Darbon

Playing my scoundrel I indeed noticed the Charged Burst sound changed to Flurry of Bolts which has the same sound.

Not only this, but Quick Shot ALSO changed to this Flurry of Bolts sound. 3 different attacks now all have the same sound instead of 3 different sounds...

Hi there,

I'm a scoundrel healer who read the patch notes of 1.4 VERY thoroughly since I also raid as a tank and have cleared everything (starting on TFB) and want to be updated on every change.

Now when I got back online after the patch i was eager to farm comms for EWH pieces.

Not long did it take for me to realize something was off, and by not long i mean up until i got my first few stacks of Upper hand and used Emergency Medpack.

Yet, did I use Emergency Medpack? Idk. I was surrounded by enemies and flames so I temporarily didn't have my visual aid of the snake coming out of my scoundrel to instaheal my teammates.

And with this, at first i heard no sound at all. This threw me off of my game by a lot.

I wasn't sure if I healed, so I totally lost track of the number of stacks of Upper Hand I had left since I usually just look once and listen from then on to the +1 and -1.

Later on I started noticing there actually IS a sound now for Emergency Medpack, yet its very, VERY muffled.

I played an operative healer to lv 28 to have realized this sound is the same sound as the main cast heal from an operative, but, a lot softer.

I don't know about you other scoundrel healers but this kind of ticked me off, I'm missing heals now and performing a lot less proficiently than I used to.

Apart from all this, I saw topics on the fact that the sound of Charged Burst for gunslingers and scoundrels, as well as Grav Round for Commando's has been changed.

Devs could you please post an explanation for this in this topic? I would really like to know why these decisions have been made, or rather, if they are just bugs that will be resolved soon.

I have noticed the same thing on my scoundrel. The sounds that I have become accustomed too are replaced by subpar effects. I have to ask it, why? I love my scoundrel and the effects helped in that admiration. Plus, the sound effect on the healing spells has changed too. Please, change the sound effects back to what they were...please!

Something has definately changed for lightsabre sounds as well. My Jedi Sentinel now sounds like a steamrolling space ship with huge engines humming and pulsing when lightsabers are drawn. The humming sound is awfully loud and kicks in whenever i run around with weapons drawn. It abruptly stops when the character stops moving. Sometimes, however, it wont go away even during quest conversations -so then we are all standing and talking inside an engine or a generator of some sort...

It isnt too bad if i equip just one sabre - then the sound fades out after a few seconds while running, but is always there with two sabres - and, oh my, LOUD it is. And clearly broken. And no, it isn't the sound settings and it's not outdated sound drivers either. Ive checked and tried everything I could trying to fix this. Nothing has worked so far.

Something has definately changed for lightsabre sounds as well. My Jedi Sentinel now sounds like a steamrolling space ship with huge engines humming and pulsing when lightsabers are drawn. The humming sound is awfully loud and kicks in whenever i run around with weapons drawn. It abruptly stops when the character stops moving. Sometimes, however, it wont go away even during quest conversations -so then we are all standing and talking inside an engine or a generator of some sort...

It isnt too bad if i equip just one sabre - then the sound fades out after a few seconds while running, but is always there with two sabres - and, oh my, LOUD it is. And clearly broken. And no, it isn't the sound settings and it's not outdated sound drivers either. Ive checked and tried everything I could trying to fix this. Nothing has worked so far.

Its probably not a bug either...

It was intentional I just went and listened for it on my Guardian, it's the sound of the blade passing through the air which is why it's gone when standing still. I LOVE this change, it always bugged the hell out of me normal movement didn't make the well...blade movement sounds.

This may not seem like a big thing, but making 'small' changes has a large impact. Players become conditioned to the sights and sounds of the game. We build an unspoken training routine that includes aural cues. All of those cues help us develop a sense of what is going on and helps us reinforce things are going as they should. At this juncture in the game's life the last thing you want to do is unsettle the players.

Build new content, don't tinker with things that are working fine. If you are using the low hanging fruit philosophy you can stray into dangerous ground.

YMMV

This may not seem like a big thing, but making 'small' changes has a large impact. Players become conditioned to the sights and sounds of the game. We build an unspoken training routine that includes aural cues. All of those cues help us develop a sense of what is going on and helps us reinforce things are going as they should. At this juncture in the game's life the last thing you want to do is unsettle the players.

Build new content, don't tinker with things that are working fine. If you are using the low hanging fruit philosophy you can stray into dangerous ground.

YMMV

This exactly! Everything is off kilter since the update.

this may not seem like a big thing, but making 'small' changes has a large impact. Players become conditioned to the sights and sounds of the game. We build an unspoken training routine that includes aural cues. All of those cues help us develop a sense of what is going on and helps us reinforce things are going as they should. At this juncture in the game's life the last thing you want to do is unsettle the players.

Ymmv

this.

I just got a chance to try my merc. Oh my god that's awful. Why do my missiles whisper at my enemies. Firing my guns is significantly louder. My missiles should sound and feel visceral, because...they're missiles. I feel like I'm firing water balloons at my enemies.

I like the BH gun change, but some of the other sound changes are a bit not so good.