Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

no more black hole comms in story EC?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

homeyj
09.28.2012 , 12:28 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
This doesn't explain why they were removed from Karaga's Nightmare Mode.
Clearly their goal is to slow the gearing curve. NM KP (and NM EV for that matter even though it never had the comms) are simply too easy in their mind to complete and they would cause extra BH comms floating around.

Honestly, under their new (current) vision, I think it is time that they just have the lockouts share between SM and HM/NM as people are clearly not being incentived to do SM.

Lostpenguins
09.28.2012 , 12:28 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
Unfortunately, tailoring your only new content to only cater to hardcore raiders is not a very sound business strategy. Hardcore raiders make up such a small percentage of the playerbase.

Hardmode EV and Karraga's are a lot easier than even normal mode EC. You can basically get all your rakata gear there. And once you have Rakata gear, what point is there to run normal mode EC and Terror from Beyond? Sure, once for the story. But that's it. There's no incentive to keep running these on normal mode.
The new content isn't only catered to the hardcore raiders. HM TFB is, but TFB, in it's entirety is not. You can still run SM TFB to experience the content. There is some incentive to keep running the normal modes of TFB and EC for the weekly to get BH comms if gear is really what you want, but effort is not something you want to put in. It sounds to me like you want the best gear, but you are complaining that you can't rise up to the challenge or are not willing to. Why does BW have to change that for you?

homeyj
09.28.2012 , 12:30 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
The new content isn't only catered to the hardcore raiders.
I dont think there is currently any content in this game geared toward 'hardcore raiders'.

Coldin
09.28.2012 , 12:31 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I asked Ahmad Zabarah (a Senior Designer) to share some more details about this change. The reason we removed the Commendations from Story Mode is that it is our goal to separate Story Mode Operations from Operation progression going forwards. In the previous setup, Story Mode was the best way to farm Black Hole Commendations, which wasn't our intent for the different difficultly modes. Going forward, Hard Mode and Nightmare mode will be the source of progression in Operations. We did, however, add Black Hole Commendations to the weekly Explosive Conflict mission, so you can also obtain the Commendations that way.
Still not getting it.

Why do you want to remove Story Mode from progression? There was a much simpler way to solve the problem of Story Mode being an easier way to get Black Hole commendations. You add more Black Hole commendations to Hard Mode.

Part of the appeal of Black Hole gear, is that it lets you get equivalent gear to the hardmode. It's slightly worse because it doesn't get the set bonuses, or might have the wrong set of stats, but otherwise it's equal. The downside is that it could take longer to get that tier of gear.

Monoth
09.28.2012 , 12:32 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by moonshoter View Post
And why ? or is that asking to much and plz no comments form others who really dont know . ... if it is to stop gearing up in end game gear then stop reing modes etc for the schamatic we can stil gear up in end game gear and not raid ... some one on my server is allready selling level 27 s . sorry about the venting but what re Dev thinking about if when F2p goes in the only way to raid and ware that gear is to sub why should it matter were BH conns drops .... if Subing maybe the only way to get alot of them .... I won't be runin SM EC any more no reason to even the mats are not worth the waste of time and nor will I run NIM KP any more no point in it any more other then maybe the mount or hat im told the hat drops in hm to so why run NIM ... and why even have the weekly SMs give BHs sigh ...
Probably because they made Story Mode much easier to do.... just guessing tho..
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Monoth
09.28.2012 , 12:35 PM | #96
Still not getting it.

Why do you want to remove Story Mode from progression? There was a much simpler way to solve the problem of Story Mode being an easier way to get Black Hole commendations. You add more Black Hole commendations to Hard Mode.

Part of the appeal of Black Hole gear, is that it lets you get equivalent gear to the hardmode. It's slightly worse because it doesn't get the set bonuses, or might have the wrong set of stats, but otherwise it's equal. The downside is that it could take longer to get that tier of gear.
Well first you can just remove the mods from Black Hole gear and put it in your Columi/Rakata gear and keep the set bonuses.... second they made Story mode a lot easier now so it does kind of make sense they remove the ability to easily farm black hole comms from SM operations.

Also SM operations are just suppose to train new people the basic mechanics of the boss fights for when they do the HM's. Not allow geared up people to easily farm Commendations..
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Coldin
09.28.2012 , 12:35 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
The new content isn't only catered to the hardcore raiders. HM TFB is, but TFB, in it's entirety is not. You can still run SM TFB to experience the content. There is some incentive to keep running the normal modes of TFB and EC for the weekly to get BH comms if gear is really what you want, but effort is not something you want to put in. It sounds to me like you want the best gear, but you are complaining that you can't rise up to the challenge or are not willing to. Why does BW have to change that for you?
*shrug* I've beat Hard Mode EC, and have a few pieces of campaign gear and blackhole gear.

It's not about rising up to the challenge. It's about making the game reward time and effort.

To be honest, the devs will never truly "challenge" the hardcore raiders. Not without making the operation impossible, or at least crazy difficult for everyone else. The challenge in most of the operations is fine (enrage timers are really annoying though). But the gear progression just makes no sense to me. And with this change, makes even less sense.

Lostpenguins
09.28.2012 , 12:35 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by homeyj View Post
Clearly their goal is to slow the gearing curve. NM KP (and NM EV for that matter even though it never had the comms) are simply too easy in their mind to complete and they would cause extra BH comms floating around.

Honestly, under their new (current) vision, I think it is time that they just have the lockouts share between SM and HM/NM as people are clearly not being incentived to do SM.
You're missing the point and not understanding the reasoning they keep saying as to why they are separating SM from HM/NiM.

Back in the old days of raiding there wasn't an easy and a hard mode. There was just one mode, and it was challenging. In fact, in Vanilla WoW before it's first expansion there was a raid called Naxxramus. There was a large % of the population very upset that they couldn't complete the raid (we'll call them The Casuals). So those who did complete it or were trying to and accepted the way things were (we'll call them The Hardcore) told The Casuals that they had to work at it. "If you wanted to see the ending to the game you had to master the levels to it."

The common response from The Casuals was, "I pay the same amount of money as The Hardcore. It's not fair I don't get to see all the content! I'm not after the loot, but I deserve to see all of this work that Blizzard employees are putting into stuff that I pay for."

And that's where we are today. Now The Casuals can experience all of that wonderful content. If you're still complaining, then it's about the loot. If you want the loot, then rise to the challenge and/or put the work in.

Basil_Evenstar
09.28.2012 , 12:36 PM | #99
Still not getting it.
Wow, terrible idea.

Lostpenguins
09.28.2012 , 12:38 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by homeyj View Post
I dont think there is currently any content in this game geared toward 'hardcore raiders'.
Well, to "real hardcore raiders", no, there isn't. But that's being subjective and it applies to what it is relative too. Real hardcore raiders predate WoW back in EQ where there was no instances and every time you died you lost experience.

But in this game, those who do the Hardmodes are what I would call the hardcore raiders. Sure, the guy who makes $200,000k a year isn't considered rich in Simi Valley, but he lives like a king in a 3rd world country. Gotta go with the context...