Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

Gryphandor
10.05.2012 , 12:48 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by tiennen View Post
It already kicks WoW's butt. At least for me it does.

I'm sure it does for others. I know for a FACT that the reason a lot of my friends dont play this game is because they haven't given it a chance--they are afraid that theyll like it too much, and then all their years of WoW would have been wasted.
This, this, so much this. I have said the same thing in so many other threads. I was addicted to WoW. Made the idea of any other MMO silly to me. After they dumbed WoW down to this pre-school game. I started to find myself breaking away. No longer being challenged or having fun. Once the 5.0 changes went live I tried very hard to remain interested but WoW was lost to me. So I said goodbye to people I have played with for years. People I consider friends.

That in and of itself is the hardest thing. Letting go of not only your characters but the people you know. Do I wish they would all come to play SWToR. Yes I do and they tried back in the day. WoW pulled them back for good. It lost its grip on me. Now SWToR is fun to play. For me it is everything I am looking for in a game and I know with support it can be much more.

We all just have to stop the QQ and start showing some damn support for a change. I know that isn't easy because most of the people who come to forums only have issues to vent but I come here to read when I can't play. Not to QQ!
Gryphandor Legacy
Maldarius Juggernaut, Daríous Mercenary, Godríc Marauder

Soldaric Commando, Leoríc Smuggler, Lexiann Shadow

MOPSFounder
10.29.2012 , 12:12 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by LibertySol View Post
If you honestly think SWTOR didn't fail it's community I really don't know what to say to that. That's fine. There will always be die hard fans who will vehemently defend their chosen product and I understand that. I also understand there are a lot of people who tear through a games endgame and then claim it's bad. Those people suck no question about it.

But SWTOR failed the playerbase. It's the biggest failure in gaming history (maybe entertainment history). SWTOR just doesn't have enough content. It is extremely similar to WoW and the hot key based MMOs before it. It's incredibly static and doesn't feel alive at all. EA/BioWare/I don't care whoever is in charge absolutely sucks at communicating with their fanbase. The game was released before it was ready. They push updates incredibly slowly. The Hero Engine is absolutely terrible, incredibly prone to bugs, and can't handle large numbers of people (which for an MMO is sort of important). Even the story when compared to other single player games (some in BioWare's own catalogue!) like Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, and KOTOR isn't that great.

The worst part is the game is fun. If it launched with patch 1.2, kept up consistent updates, didn't spend so much on VO, and actually communicated with their fans, and didn't use the hero engine it'd be in a lot better shape.

If you think SWTOR didn't fail the playerbase I think you are blind to it's problems. None of the things I just brought have to do with rabid fanboys tearing the game down. No one likes rabid fanboys but to blame them for the condition SWTOR is is absolutely ridiculous and is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who's quit this game or plans to quit this game.
A bit too much hyperbole, but I agree.

Beltane
10.29.2012 , 04:27 PM | #53
SWTOR has problems. Every single MMO in history has problems, particularly in its first year (or two). There are a *lot* of things about TOR that absolutely drive me up the wall. But the sheer level of ridiculous hatred and negativity it has generated by the vocal minority is pretty, well... ridiculous.

If you don't like the game, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm willing to bet the majority of people who quit were just like "meh, not the game for me." I can think of about 10 MMOs I tried and just couldn't get into and unsubscribed without a fuss.

With TOR, there seems to be this entire culture based around vehemently and violently hating it. TORtanic wasn't cute back in December and it's sure not cute now. Calling it the biggest failure in MMO or entertainment history is utterly laughable.

If you don't like it then unsubscribe. If you like it enough to stay subscribed but think it has things wrong with it that need improving, how about trying some positivity for a change? Honestly, if I was thinking about trying out this game I would be scared off by the level of hatred on the forums.

So, the same people who complain about the game being "dead" with "no players" are probably the ones that drive a certain percentage of those players away to begin with.
--=[ Wrath of Korriban
Ebon Hawk | Heavy Sith RP
IG: Beltane

Comstrike
10.29.2012 , 05:58 PM | #54
The most telling thing right now, is that this forum. The passion, pro or con, is dead.

Most are just burning time in other games and waiting for F2P. Darth Hater is still going, I listen, yet even it sounds like a group of people resigned to a doomed cause. Some episodes have sounded like I did in our guild chat at times, half resentful of the game having flopped as it is seen as having done.
Comstrike
Founder, Leader, Sons Of Numenor & Scions of Koribban| LOTRO - SWTOR - GW2 - STO - World of Tanks | GalacticHolonetNews

Darth-Malice
10.30.2012 , 03:10 AM | #55
Doesn't surprise me at all. You can lie and dupe your fan base for only so long before they realize its not the game it was claimed to be.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

AshlaBoga
10.30.2012 , 03:45 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by LibertySol View Post
I've been trying to find an up to date calculator for a while and I couldn't so I did a little digging. What I found wasn't pretty: TOR is no longer supported by any major website.

http://www.torhead.com/ Doesn't have up to date calculators and hasn't had them since June. Most items are still from beta. Most items don't have any comments. And the forums are pretty much a ghost town. They haven't even mentioned 1.4 support. Not to mention this site is still in Beta and it's been like 9 months.They updated their skill calculators when 1.4 hit.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/ The top 2 pieces of news on swtor spy are "Why SWTOR failed" and "SWTOR - The End" the latter basically saying the site runners are going into maintenance mode and only because they invested a lot into the site. Not a big loss, swtor-spy was unreliable outside of datacrons, their titles page... ugh, can you spell missing achievements?

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/ They haven't had an update since late April going by the change logs. I guess that says it all. Updated this week.

http://www.swtorface.com/ This site is really awesome and it's still being updated. But the content is almost non existent. It's a great site for companion related content but otherwise it's just news and aggregates information from other sites. There's almost no comments on many of their posts and the ones that do have any feedback are less than 4 comments each.

http://db.darthhater.com/ This is the only site I think that is pushing out content seriously. And imo it's the best website out there for TOR. The content they are pushing shows they still care about the game. Unfortunately they like swtorface have almost no community. But that could change if one day BioWare somehow brings this game back from the brink. db.darthhater [datamines and then never organizes their items based on how the gear goes live (Denova gear = Dread Guard and shouldn't still be in their database).

However if anyone knows a great website that is still active post it here. I'm done with TOR anyway but for those that read this it'd be cool for them.
I put my comments in red, basically so many of the sites that are slowing down were downright misleading rather than useful.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

MarkoJinn
10.31.2012 , 12:31 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Przemo_No View Post
I cannot agree more. Shava is right.
That's the point.

I participated in "both sides" of the game, trying my first ever PVP experience in life.
I liked it, even with the situations those "Serious PVP Players" - as they call themselves all geared like Titans roll over me thousand times because i cannot stand alone against two or three of them.
They are being proud of it actually

But anyway:

I guess it's just a sign'o'the times. Large groups of kiddos who have all days and months to sit behind a computer and talk about what's good and bad and why this game sucks. (one can ask WHO pays for their subscriptions?)

But SWTOR is a GOOD GAME.

It is just designed for somewhat more matured people.

When I saw the first ever Star Wars movie I was EIGHT. Those days no one literally could even DREAM about being able to LIVE it, live it like now we can in all SW games.

Those who saw movies (or read books, played first games like X-Wing) later, when the SW machine was on full speed, cannot have that perspective.

The only one they have is WOW (or other MMO) related. NOT Star Wars related (environments, worlds, force, all that mystics) but simply plain computer gaming related perspective. The world is not important important is how quick they smash other players and get the newer pixels on their characters.

And perhaps that's a reason they are complaining. They do not care about what the game is about, they care about percentages of healing or DPS instead of seeing what they can explore. What can the LIVE.

I seriously DO NOT care whether the PVP is balanced or not, whether one class is 2,6778% better than another and if i can stealth or not, what i care is whether the story is properly written (believable), SWTOR mostly is (despite few really idiotic situations when you have to fight gargantuan beast that normally no Jedi or Sith would even bother with - because saber skills would never work there. In those occasions some force tricks should be useful - but those are NOT given to us). Well, SWTOR mostly is up to it. The story is VERY GOOD. And the voicing and cinematics, etc.

That's what I want. Nothing more.

Some complain about game engine or low framerate or lagging or whatever performance issue. - I guess they really need to upgrade their machines because I can play this game on either low end or high end laptops.

Seriously I played it on 4 years old HP laptop with low end graphic card. I loose the details, but I COULD PLAY!

Not to say a word about Alienware that simply does not seem to be bothered by SWTOR.

I participate in forums, trying to say something constructive here and there, but since it looks like massive boring flood of "whining and trolling" I guess I saw enough of it.

Now I guess I will simply PLAY THE GAME as usual, and patiently wait for new content.

That's was it.
Amazing post my friend and I have to agree with everything you said. I believe that once I read the article written by some doctor who calls these kids today generation I or generation ME. It's always about them, when something goes wrong it's always other people's fault and they think that no matter what the challenge is they can do it but the other guy screwed it up so it was not done.

This attitude however is in a way our/older generations fault. Remember the days when they were telling us that it's not OK to say "you can't do this or that" to your kids? When the philosophy was to encourage your kids to reach for the stars and they can all be astronauts if they wish to be one? Well that backfired and we got a generation of spoiled brats who think they are entitled to everything right away. They spend 4 years at the university getting a degree (during which time they study for about 2 weeks total and the rest is partying and drinking) and then they get out of college and go: "Ok I have a degree where is my 6 figure salary?" Give me give me give me...

The truth is not everyone can be an astronaut. Not everyone can be a race car driver, football player, actor or even a gamer. The sooner we start preaching this again the better our future will be. I really think this problem is far beyond this one game and gaming in general. It is a reflection of a failed generation and us as their mentors/parents.
What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me.

simplius
10.31.2012 , 01:12 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by MarkoJinn View Post
Amazing post my friend and I have to agree with everything you said. I believe that once I read the article written by some doctor who calls these kids today generation I or generation ME. It's always about them, when something goes wrong it's always other people's fault and they think that no matter what the challenge is they can do it but the other guy screwed it up so it was not done.

This attitude however is in a way our/older generations fault. Remember the days when they were telling us that it's not OK to say "you can't do this or that" to your kids? When the philosophy was to encourage your kids to reach for the stars and they can all be astronauts if they wish to be one? Well that backfired and we got a generation of spoiled brats who think they are entitled to everything right away. They spend 4 years at the university getting a degree (during which time they study for about 2 weeks total and the rest is partying and drinking) and then they get out of college and go: "Ok I have a degree where is my 6 figure salary?" Give me give me give me...

The truth is not everyone can be an astronaut. Not everyone can be a race car driver, football player, actor or even a gamer. The sooner we start preaching this again the better our future will be. I really think this problem is far beyond this one game and gaming in general. It is a reflection of a failed generation and us as their mentors/parents.
so its THE KIDS fault, even though u build the world they live in,,yea humans have a weird habit,,

we expect to to eat , drink and breathe after were born,,and the sheer NUMBER of persons doing that

are causing trouble already,,if u double the number sheep, without doubling their space and resources too,,

they will starve and get sick,,or fight

about entitlement: i dont deserve the best gear,,i never asked for it

but i payed $ to play a good star wars game

its barely star wars , and its not good

so u have to find a smart way to get the missing subs,,that shouldnt be too hard

HSFOverlord
10.31.2012 , 07:54 PM | #59
I just finished reading this thread and had to post a reply. I have to agree that for some reason this game has inspired a kneejerk love it or hate it response from the gaming community. I don't know if anyone out there is truely MEH about this game. I, for one, truely enjoy the game. The last game I enjoyed this much was Asheron's Call, which is going back a few years. I have been subbed since March and have no intention of unsubbing from this game. I am a Star Wars fan, and so my perception may be a bit slanted in favor of this game for that reason. I am also an admitted altaholic, as well as a bibliophile (look it up, it's a cool word), which would likely explain why I am not concerned with "end game" content. There were a couple comments people had mentioned that drew my attention an made me go . The first was:
"single most fail game experience a human being can have in MMOs really"
and the second was:
"It's the biggest failure in gaming history (maybe entertainment history)."
I have three words for the ones who made these comments. Star Wars Galaxies.

bahdasz
11.01.2012 , 12:19 AM | #60
I can't blame anybody that gives up on a fan site for this game and moves on to something that might make them money or at least generate interested input.

Unfortunately this game turned out to be exactly what I expected, a whole lot of hype over nothing. People started those dozens of sites because they expected the bazillion people BW kept swearing they were going to have playing to all be looking for places to go for info and chat time. That amount of e-traffic generates a lot of ad revenue for the site; if nobody goes to your site, nobody is going to pay you to advertise their crap on it, so you either sink or swim over to the game that actually has a bazillion players. Looks like the sites are going about half and half.

I'm only here because it's Star Wars, if GW2 wasn't all bows and arrows and witches, wizards and dragons I'd be over there in a hot second too. I can't can't blame people that gave up on this game already.