Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Noob help Tanking in HM Flash-Points

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Noob help Tanking in HM Flash-Points

pan_sObak
10.02.2012 , 07:51 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
I want to know everyone's opinion on this.
i think they meant that for HM Black Taloon you better be DPS geared, because it's a rather simple HM Flashpoint and with all DPS+healer good be done faster

if you are a tank - so you should be tank geared: endurance, deff, shield+absorb
Tomb of Freedon Nadd, Pansobak Legacy
Merc 60, Jugg 60, Sorc 60, Sin 60, Op 60, Sage 60, Comm 60, Guns 55, Vang 60, Sent 60

Craft: Bio 500, Cyber 500, Art 500, Arm 500, Armor 500, Syth 500

JacksonMo
10.02.2012 , 08:18 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
so i turned lvl 50 a week ago and decided I would try my first HM-FP so, I tried BlackTalon. I only did okay but, thankfully the other random guys basically carried me through. They were very polite but they said something that threw me for a loop. They inspected my gear and told me it was all wrong. All of my stuff : mods, enhancements and armoring are purple lvl 45-49 mostly guardian armor, deft mods ( i think) and a few different enhancements. They said I needed to switch from TANK gear to DPS gear! They said in order to do HM FP and get Tionese, Columie and Rakata gear I need to re-gear heavy on DPS and light on tank gear.

I want to know everyone's opinion on this.
Unless you que as DPS, the DPS gear will only cause you problems. Or, more specifically, your healer...
Nothing more frustrating than trying to heal a tank wearing paper armor. </end_rant>

happysister
10.02.2012 , 08:28 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post
Nothing more frustrating than trying to heal a tank wearing paper armor. </end_rant>
how about a tank that just isn't good? after finishing a HM FP, a level 50 tank i used to run with a lot told my group once, "you know, i noticed i hold agro a lot better when i actually use ALL my skills instead of just spamming slash all the time!" he was being serious.

facepalms abounded that night.
Lorhin - Sharpshooter Gunslinger
Sashel - Sawbones Scoundrel

JacksonMo
10.03.2012 , 03:24 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by happysister View Post
how about a tank that just isn't good? after finishing a HM FP, a level 50 tank i used to run with a lot told my group once, "you know, i noticed i hold agro a lot better when i actually use ALL my skills instead of just spamming slash all the time!" he was being serious.

facepalms abounded that night.
Taunts do help.

joenewbie
10.03.2012 , 03:30 AM | #15
My current toon is going DPS Guardian, most everything I wear is geared to doing the most damage I can, I like being a bit different but I'm wondering if beyond PvE and post 50 if this is a good model. Thoughts?
Roll your alts first, make the mistakes that teach you lessons, then roll your main and enjoy the ride.

SuperDaioz
10.03.2012 , 04:32 AM | #16
Do not listen to anyone saying a tank should wear dps gear they are either trolling you or are clueless. You may think your awesome cos you can tank in dps gear but your healers the one who is pro not you. (Im not a healer)

**A tanks job is to stay alive and gain aggro. Do not be that tank that thinks he can put out the highest damage in the group with the campaign power relic and power adrenals**

This is how you should prioritise for defense guardian:

Absorption (50%) = Shield (50%) > Defense (25%) >= Endurance > Strength >= Accuracy (110%)

This link will help you:

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/jedi...ty-and-details

Infalliable
10.03.2012 , 07:13 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by joenewbie View Post
My current toon is going DPS Guardian, most everything I wear is geared to doing the most damage I can, I like being a bit different but I'm wondering if beyond PvE and post 50 if this is a good model. Thoughts?
Not if you want to fulfill the tanking role. To tank anything other than trivial content, you need tank gear. Absorption, defense, and shield rating have a huge impact on your survivability.

If you just want to be another DPS, it's perfectly fine. In fact, you should be wearing DPS gear.

For the most part, any properly played and specced DPS class is replacable with any other DPS class. Certain fights are easier with certain classes, but with good awareness any of them can be successful.