Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

1.4 Overload


SgtKlavier's Avatar


SgtKlavier
10.02.2012 , 05:53 PM | #41
Quote:
There is no question that the "oh crap" and "panic button" defensive utility of Overload/Force Wave has been reduced but in its place we now have an almost instant-cast ability that has a predictable, aimed effect.
Agree, though I would call it an instant cast ability, not "almost instant." In cases where you get leaped to or attacked by an op, just use force slow/sprint/electrocute to put distance between you and the enemy before you use overload. The utility of overload is still quite viable when you coordinate it with your other abilities.

Kyriosgundam's Avatar


Kyriosgundam
10.02.2012 , 06:00 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by makaru View Post
Is is just me or did they destroy this spell?
They ruined it for shure. As a Tank spec'd Assassin I depended on the original version of that skill when going solo and I would get swarmed. Now all it does is hit those enemies in front of me? That makes the skill practically useless for me unless I am near a ledge otherwise I cant use it. So all because hardcore PVPer's took their whining about it to BioWare/EA the rest of us get screwed. Yes it has more power and greater range but the arc limitation makes the skill practically useless to a Primarily PVE player like myself. They did the samething to the Force Wave skill Concular's have which does the samething as Overload.
"The Ability to speak does not make you intelligent"-Qui-Gon
"Much to learn you still have"-Yoda
"Impressive......Most Impressive"-Darth Vader
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"-Obi-Wan

Kyriosgundam's Avatar


Kyriosgundam
10.02.2012 , 06:05 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by SgtKlavier View Post
Agree, though I would call it an instant cast ability, not "almost instant." In cases where you get leaped to or attacked by an op, just use force slow/sprint/electrocute to put distance between you and the enemy before you use overload. The utility of overload is still quite viable when you coordinate it with your other abilities.
Not true Overload before update 1.4 was fine there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. It was meant to be used by Inquisitors in cases where you get swarmed by multiple enemies from not only in front but also FROM BEHIND! which helped primarily PVE players like me in many ways. And for Tank spec'd Assassins like me who need to be up close with their opponents your suggestion wont work at all. Only Sorcerers benefit from the tactic you suggest.
"The Ability to speak does not make you intelligent"-Qui-Gon
"Much to learn you still have"-Yoda
"Impressive......Most Impressive"-Darth Vader
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"-Obi-Wan

SgtKlavier's Avatar


SgtKlavier
10.02.2012 , 10:29 PM | #44
Quote:
Not true Overload before update 1.4 was fine there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. It was meant to be used by Inquisitors in cases where you get swarmed by multiple enemies from not only in front but also FROM BEHIND! which helped primarily PVE players like me in many ways. And for Tank spec'd Assassins like me who need to be up close with their opponents your suggestion wont work at all. Only Sorcerers benefit from the tactic you suggest.
True, my post was directed main at sorcerers. However, as an assassin you say you want to be up close with your opponents, so what's the point of knocking back at all. It would seem like the new overload would be better for you because you can choose which enemies to knock back and which ones to keep close to attack.

Sock_Bramson's Avatar


Sock_Bramson
10.03.2012 , 07:28 AM | #45
Positioning yourself and mobs in pve is very easy. Start walking one way and the mobs will follow you, all while staying in front of you. You can also hit more of the ranged mobs that don't move as much with the new 15m range, or you can simply train the melee mobs close to the ranged ones and overload the whole group.

Quite frankly, the new overload and the reduced range on electrocute have done nothing to hurt the pve side of things for us. Overload still gives us more room/ stuns weak mobs and electrocute is still good for stunning stronger mobs. For pvp, I actually think the new overload is better, and the reduced stun range is very manageable considering the buffs we got and the range reduction on most other classes' stuns.
-Hedley Melange <Physics>, Dreshdae-->The Shadowlands-

Qaoz's Avatar


Qaoz
10.03.2012 , 08:39 AM | #46
The new animation smells a lot like it was done by the same team who did the Consular's Project makeover.

Looks like crap. I miss my old somersault.
If only I'd hit spacebar more often...

ruidiogotita's Avatar


ruidiogotita
10.03.2012 , 11:53 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by DroidDreamer View Post
There is no question that the "oh crap" and "panic button" defensive utility of Overload/Force Wave has been reduced but in its place we now have an almost instant-cast ability that has a predictable, aimed effect. The old Overload/Force Wave was not as predictable in terms of which direction the bad guys went flying. The new ability generally does knockback opponents in the direction it is aimed. This allows for aimed positioning -- into the acid pit, knockback behind a pillar or LOS, etc. Lag at times messes this up but generally it is a better offensive ability because it knockback in a general direction more predictably (and because of the the instant cast change too).

The downside of the Overload/Force Wave Changes? I don't think the area of effect matches the animation graphical overlay which leads to unpredictable results, especially for up-close opponents. The Sorc Overload animation looks pretty cheesy; my recommendation is to replace it with the Force Wave animation but with a purple area of effect overlay for the graphics to match other purple Sorc effects. And, finally, the area of effect is longer but the push-back is pretty puny; probably ok for balance reasons but a farther knockback would be better.
Well i think this is the issue "leads to unpredictable results, especially for up-close opponents" In the ball game i use it wen im near a fire and the enmy is kiking me with 2 sabers, i use it in rigth direction to fire or to open air he stays in teh same place...with the old spell he would fall back to air and down.

Rui M.

Theodulus's Avatar


Theodulus
10.04.2012 , 01:50 PM | #48
This ability is certainly bugged because in a huttball game the ball carrier was pushed backwards over the goal line even though I aimed the other way. It looked pretty funny because he gained a lot of height and flew over my head. And it can't be lag and facing the wrong direction because I never faced the other way since I came from the spawn.

SgtKlavier's Avatar


SgtKlavier
10.04.2012 , 09:00 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Theodulus View Post
This ability is certainly bugged because in a huttball game the ball carrier was pushed backwards over the goal line even though I aimed the other way. It looked pretty funny because he gained a lot of height and flew over my head. And it can't be lag and facing the wrong direction because I never faced the other way since I came from the spawn.
Could it have been another ability that pushed him that way?

Theodulus's Avatar


Theodulus
10.05.2012 , 09:12 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by SgtKlavier View Post
Could it have been another ability that pushed him that way?
No I was alone since my 7 teammates were having a death match on the other side of the map. The ball carrier was the first to cross the fire and coming down the ramp. I was stealthed with blackout so no one could have predicted I was there. I doubt they could have done anything causing this because there was no sage close by that could do a rescue. Either way it looked really funny when he gained height and flew over my head towards the goal line.