Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy names no longer unique to server

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Legacy names no longer unique to server

HitokiriX
09.24.2012 , 06:33 PM | #1
When I read this I was pretty shocked. I mean yeah we can all have the last name we wanted without having to compete with others but the Legacy name was supposed to be a link between all of our characters. If someone with my Legacy was being a troll I wouldn't want to gain a reputation because of someone I don't even know.

dominius
09.24.2012 , 06:35 PM | #2
People complaining about not being able to pick the Legacy name they want.
People complaining that there is more than one account with the same Legacy name.

Pick your poison.
Guildmaster of
Elitist Isolationists
Website | Forums | The Harbinger
Domineus || Malego || Trotsky || Ava'rus

HitokiriX
09.24.2012 , 06:41 PM | #3
Not getting the name you want has been around since the start of MMO's. I'm just stating that when multiple people have the same last name, it's common to think that they're related. I wouldn't want myself or anyone else to be misrepresented by a complete stranger.

Blackavaar
09.24.2012 , 06:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by HitokiriX View Post
When I read this I was pretty shocked. I mean yeah we can all have the last name we wanted without having to compete with others but the Legacy name was supposed to be a link between all of our characters. If someone with my Legacy was being a troll I wouldn't want to gain a reputation because of someone I don't even know.
Since everyone now knows that no one's Legacy is unique then why would anyone assume that someone with the same Legacy as you was you? Your complaint is invalid. Legacy names never appeared in chat, are optional to appear above characters and were never used for Mail, Guild or Friend lists, they were never really used as identifiers, so there was no valid reason for a Legacy to ever be unique.

Now that Legacy names are not unique a family of five that wants to play characters together that are part of the same family with the same Legacy name can do so and two best friends who want to play as two brothers in the game can do so too.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Samiel
09.24.2012 , 08:52 PM | #5
To be honest a few people not getting to feel like special snowflakes trumps everyone having the chance to have the legacy name they desire imo. I suspect the op was lucky enough to be on a destination server back when the mergers hit, and was now wants to have his cake and it it too. The needs of the many and all that bro...
Guild Master Of The Rogue Council

odericko
09.24.2012 , 09:07 PM | #6
The pro's for this far outweigh the con's IMO.

Like you said, you don't have to fight for the name you want, but it opens up some nice options for RP's and such too.
Hiltar - Bounty Hunter - Jung Ma

Skodan
09.24.2012 , 09:16 PM | #7
personally i think legacy should have remained unique, with first names going to non-unique. legacy names could have been the identifying label for a character

example:

Han Solo
Han Skywalker.

for a message one would have to type /tell han_skywalker or /tell han_solo.
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Andryah
09.24.2012 , 09:22 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Skodan View Post
personally i think legacy should have remained unique, with first names going to non-unique. legacy names could have been the identifying label for a character

example:

Han Solo
Han Skywalker.

for a message one would have to type /tell han_skywalker or /tell han_solo.
That would not work as Legacy name applies to every character on your account on a given server.
I'm back..... in advance of KotFE.

Skodan
09.24.2012 , 09:24 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
That would not work as Legacy name applies to every character on your account on a given server.
it could if they limited character names within the legacy

another example:
player 1
- han solo
- luke solo
- leia solo
- anikan solo

player 2
- han skywalker
- luke skywalker
- leia skywalker
- anikan skywalker
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

WaywardOne
09.24.2012 , 09:31 PM | #10
In a perfect game everyone could have the name they want so long as something about them is unique (for /tells, /invites, emails and such). There's no downside. But, in a crowd of hundreds of thousands, it doesn't matter what you do: someone will not like it.