Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Leveling Viable?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP Leveling Viable?

Solarenergy
09.25.2012 , 08:44 AM | #11
Also, I play during the "primetime" hours. Usually on between 6 pm and 10 pm (CST). Weekends are the only time I log on during the morning or early afternoon hours. Also, I never play during the late night hours either, though I have heard that if you do play at say, 3 am, there will only be about 30 people on fleet. On weekends, there are a lot of people on usually starting at about 9 am. So I never really have a problem with getting queues to pop up. I finish one WZ, queue again, and usually get one to pop iin an average time of about 2 minutes. And the thing is, my assassin would probably be a higher level if she were the only character I played. But on any given day I log onto 3-5 different characters. So I don't really feel the leveling is too slow.

DarthOvertone
09.25.2012 , 10:26 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Voranis View Post
The legacy exp perk basically puts you back at the amount of exp you used to get for WZ's. Not sure when it happened, but at some point they reduced exp acrost the board.
If I remember right, WZ XP got nerfed in the very first patch of this game. Of course, I could remember wrong, but it was that long ago.

Quote: Originally Posted by Serbegorn View Post
Questing and the storylines blow goats imnsho. Make leveling thru pvp actually viable and I'll re-roll instead of canceling my sub... which is going to be very soon.
Leveling via PvP with the capped WZ XP Bonus Perk is more than viable. Best thing is the perk only costs something like 300K in total which is pretty cheap. Now I mix in class quests as well and an occasional Bonus Series, but leveling has been smooth sailing for my last two alts. Even easier if you mix in some Space Missions, which I personally can't stand. Pre-Legacy, that certainly wasn't the case.

The storylines in this game are pretty good and the Legacy class buff you get for completing Chapter Two is well worth doing the class quests. Considering that 90% of the PvP we do is in WZs, the class quests are a nice way for me to break up the monotony of instanced PvP.
Alphanoob, Alpha-zen (among others) - Garbage S1 Champion
Ebon Hawk | Harbinger
SWTOR 4.3: It was good while it lasted. Thanks BW

kuey
09.25.2012 , 01:32 PM | #13
To answer the OPs question. Levelling via PvP ALONE is not really viable. By that I don't mean you CAN'T hit 50 just pvping, but with queue times mixed with joining near completed matches and so forth, it will take considerably longer to hit 50, possibly to the extent of weeks, which you could otherwise could of dedicated to gearing yourself up in the 50 bracket. Oh and PvP levelling is only really viable during peak times, limiting when you can play. Questing on the other hand affords a. faster experience (several times faster) b. more money (at the minimum for a pvper you need a fair bit to augment your gear, and PvP doesn't really provide anywhere near enough to afford augmenting yourself up) and c. the ability to play whenever you want.

My advice would be to mix PvPing with questing. Doing class quest and the main world quests with a few extra thrown in here and there whilst your waiting for your queue to pop should generally be enough. If you've an avid PvPer then I would also recommend making sure you have the max 3.5k ranked warzone comms before you hit 50 as well as 2k wz comms.

Mayeh
09.25.2012 , 01:37 PM | #14
My Commando was leveled primarily through war zones. Other than that, I did class quests. I bought the Legacy war zone experience boosts and geared him in a Legacy set and made new mods etc. every four or so levels. I already had most of the blue/purple recipes from leveling a Vanguard. Higher levels had to do research to get the DPS specific stuff.

NurseDonut
09.25.2012 , 01:38 PM | #15
It's doable. I level with PvP, class quests, and the main planetary quests. PvP makes up the vast majority. It takes longer probably, but I have more fun.

Glower
09.25.2012 , 04:35 PM | #16
Quote:
PvP Leveling Viable?
If u have time and Legacy WZ level 5 - yes! I have 3x50 with only WZ + class missions xp.
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg; Dec 2016, livestream: "RNG is exciting"
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

denpic
09.25.2012 , 04:47 PM | #17
When leveling alts I only do the class quests and queue for war zones
EOL Marster Dar Nala
ULAC Dalbora

UncleOst
09.25.2012 , 05:55 PM | #18
Ya they totally nerfed exp for Everything after 1.3. I remember space missions granting a level.
Hell I even got a whole level once from talking to my companion in the damn ship!

I'd recommend the pvp warzone boost obviously, just like everyone else has suggested.
I que constantly and find I only have to do class quests. The exp gained from warzones compensates for not having to grind every nonsense quest that each planet provides.
It is very important that you gear up with the best spec specific stuff you can get. Also gear up yer companion with current level stuff. There are always blue prototype items that people are basically giving away on the trader. I usually ran the heroic(2) quests solo. They give the tokens you need for mods. The only crappy part is the loading in/out from planets to warzones...meh

Just last night I completed class quest at level 46. Heh, I'll be flaunting my "Darth" title tonight in lowbie warzones. (Heroic moments ftw).

All I did was class quests, warzones, and the easy to reach heroic(2)'s.

Mdgshorty
09.25.2012 , 07:38 PM | #19
I'd mix it up with your class quests. A big percentage of my leveling was PVP and class quests. I also used my legacy perks to make it easier. I was consistently hitting the valor cap at each level which tells you how much I did along the way. If it was not for the PVP part of this game, I would have gotten bored.
Star Forge
Sparkal - Scoundrel - Enduring Dawn
Sparkala - Scoundrel - COTP

7 Days free subscription time + free stuff = http://www.swtor.com/r/nKJJWc

vstealthyx
06.06.2013 , 11:49 AM | #20
I currently made my Commando and got it to 33 now I just do PvP because I have 4/5 Legacy upgrades so on an average match I leave with 14-15 K XP which as far as I know is a little more that quests.
The average PvP match lasts 8-12 Minutes which is the same time you take to complete quests.
I plan to get my Commando to around 47-48 then carry on from my Balmorra class quests and get to 50 from those and the dailies I do.

The good thing about PVP is that it gives you Money as well and when your into the Forties you are leaving with at least 4 K per game so then once you want to carry on with your story you have plenty of money to buy gear or you Can trade your WZ coms for Planetary coms and get that type of gear.
Sith Inquisitor 55 Sith Marauder 55
Imp Agent 55
Jedi Sentinal 50 Jedi Sage 50
Gunslinger 55