Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bug report system - I just found out HOW USELESS it is

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Bug report system - I just found out HOW USELESS it is

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DethMyst
09.23.2012 , 03:08 PM | #1
I've been sending bug reports whenever they happen. Needless to say, with a game as young as SWTOR is, there's many. I send them all to make the game better in hopes they'll know about these things. Without people sending them, how would they.

Each time I send them, I simply type /bug in the text/social window and enter the description.

Current bug I was reporting (I've reported it numerous times in the past as it's been on-going since the game launched): When selling items at the auctions I'd sell a few new problem, then come to one that would go into the sell box but clicking "Create sale" or whatever the button is, does nothing. No the item isn't bound, no they're not damaged, no I'm not at my 50 item limit. No reason is given. The "sell item" button clicks but does nothing and the item stays in the box as the one up for sale.

YOU WOULD THINK .. that when you send a bug, easily pass-ed on in-game information such as WHO YOUR CURRENT CHARACTER IS AND WHERE HE/SHE IS, etc... would automatically go to tech support.

** NOT SO **

Apparently they don't get ANY information beyond the text you enter.

!!!!????

What good is the bug report system if the game doesn't tell them everything it can about where they are, who they are, what their last action was, etc.... !!!?

Here's the response I got from tech:

Quote:
For future reference, if you happen to encounter another in-game concern, this is how you are going to create your ticket.

Click on Request Help - then click on Create Ticket. On the pop-up that appears, please select the Bug Report Category.

In order for us to be able to identify the issue causing the bug we would ask for you to provide as much of the following information as possible in the text box:

Client language (ie: french, german, etc.)
Server
Planet
Coordinates
Character Name and Account Handle
Character Level / Class / Advanced Class
Quest Name
Quest stage
Active Companion
Description of the bug
Are you kidding me!!?? YOU WOULD THINK that since I typed my entire bug report IN ENGLISH *** THAT MY LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH **. YOU WOULD THINK that they know what server I'm on SINCE I'M SENDING THE BUG REPORT FROM THAT SERVER!!!! Same with all the other stuff.

I couldn't believe it. I've had it. I'll stop sending the bug reports and let the game fail due to people leaving in frustration. If their in-game bug report system is that flawed, that it doesn't even send basic information about the player/person sending the bug report, and that they expect us to send ALL that crap above every time we try and help the game out by creating a bug report, this game will never get it's bugs out of it.

I've had it. I've had it. I've had it. If I could accurately put my frustrations into text your screen would crack.

To know all my bug reports in the past (hundreds!) were useless because I didn't also give all that other information, just makes me want to break stuff.

DethMyst
09.23.2012 , 03:43 PM | #2
^^ Just for anyone's info.. the above post was more of a release of tension than anything else, but hopefully it will make people think twice before wasting as much time as I have trying to make this game better. If you haven't sent in all the info they request each time, it turns out your attempt to notify them about an error in the game has left them bewildered, because they have no idea who you are, where you where, what character you were playing, etc, etc.

I had always thought that information was automatically passed from the game to the ticket, and that just the specifics of the bug itself was needed.

I also had no idea that typing "/bug <enter>" in the social window was not the proper way to do things.

... and yes, I'm still very frustrated that I have to keep continuing to sell all my high-value items that I collect, to vendors for low-value credits. It has made making money VERY hard for me throughout all my characters.

Acealis
09.23.2012 , 03:48 PM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey DethMyst,

We apologize for the latest response you received in regards to your bug report. I would kindly ask that you don't read to much into non specific elements of the latest response you received. I ask this because I checked your account and can see that you are have dedicated a lot of time to reporting bugs.

As such I can inform you that quite a few of the bugs you have reported were in fact deemed as unknown issues, resulting in them being relayed onto the appropriate department to handle. I can assure you before we pass on your discovered bug information, that we ensure all the specific details (character, location etc) are reported as well.

Thank you for actively trying to improve Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ via your bug reports, it is clear you have a keen eye for spotting them .

Should you require any further assistance or information, feel free to let us know here.

Acealis | BioWare Customer Service

DethMyst
09.23.2012 , 04:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Acealis View Post
Hey DethMyst,

We apologize for the latest response you received in regards to your bug report. I would kindly ask that you don't read to much into non specific elements of the latest response you received. I ask this because I checked your account and can see that you are have dedicated a lot of time to reporting bugs.

As such I can inform you that quite a few of the bugs you have reported were in fact deemed as unknown issues, resulting in them being relayed onto the appropriate department to handle. I can assure you before we pass on your discovered bug information, that we ensure all the specific details (character, location etc) are reported as well.

Thank you for actively trying to improve Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ via your bug reports, it is clear you have a keen eye for spotting them .

Should you require any further assistance or information, feel free to let us know here.

I always appreciate the kind responses from SWTOR staff, and am genuinely trying to make the game better, both for the players, and the sustainability and success of the game.

But this but is not a known issue, as it has been occurring with me since Day 1.

It's come to the point where I've had to send gear between characters in hopes that the next one on the list will be able to sell more.

And the problem is sporadic. I just sold over 20 items with one character before it stopped working, the next character only got to 5 before it stopped (he had 0 items already listed before I started selling).

An acceptable fix of course, would be to have someone tweak my account so that I can sell to vendors for the same price as the default price as auctioning it. That is where my frustration lies: having to sell all my gear to vendors for pennies instead of making much better cash for them in the trade network like everyone else.

The problem is definitely tied to my account, and not any specific character, as it happens to all of them.

But I can tell you one thing: if SWTOR support expect me to state my account name, character name, location, preferred language, etc, etc, etc,. for every bug report, I'll just have to stop sending them. And if the bug isn't fixed, I'll obviously walk from the game when my current 6mth subscription is up. This bug is frustrating to the point of making me walk from the game, and there seems to be no fix for it, as I have been reporting it for months on end now.

DethMyst
09.23.2012 , 04:49 PM | #5
Now I just switched back to my current 'main' character (bounty hunter) and it let me continue selling to my 50 item limit. (and yes I've been able to reach my 50 limit in the past, only to have it stop working the next day or two after..)

Very sporadic. But happens enough to make me want to pull my hair out.

DethMyst
09.23.2012 , 04:55 PM | #6
I just switched to my Jedi Consular and was able to sell some more items (up to the point that he had no more to sell).

I should also mention, that ONCE in a while I will get yellow text in the social window saying "Listing could not be created." or something of that nature.

If I was working support, my first step would be to query the SQL logs under my account names (last character name used to send a report on this would be a good place to start) and see if your dbase logs are giving any info as to why the listing can't be created. 'Would be a good starting point.

Look at the last successful listing made under my character and note the time, then see what was going on right after that, that could have caused a sell listing to not work.

DethMyst
09.23.2012 , 04:58 PM | #7
I was just able to hit my 50 limit with my Jedi Knight. So it seems all my characters can magically make sales again.

ANOTHER NOTE: This is not server-specific, as it has occurred on all 3 servers my characters have been on.

DethMyst
09.23.2012 , 05:01 PM | #8
Just hit my 50 limit with my Gunslinger. So it appears all can sell again.

Which would seem that it's not a problem with game code - if it was, one would suspect it would be a permanent problem.

Acealis
09.23.2012 , 08:36 PM | #9 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thank you for detailing the bug to us here DethMyst,

I am glad i could clear things up and reassure you that the bug you reported has been passed onto the appropriate department.

You of course do not have to provide all the details described in your response, as we have do have access to this information. However it never hurts to present it in a nice easy to read way.

We are always grateful to gain bug reports and suggestions from community members like yourself, who have a clear passion for improving the game.

Thank you.

Acealis | BioWare Customer Service

DethMyst
09.24.2012 , 12:06 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Acealis View Post
Thank you for detailing the bug to us here DethMyst,

I am glad i could clear things up and reassure you that the bug you reported has been passed onto the appropriate department.

You of course do not have to provide all the details described in your response, as we have do have access to this information. However it never hurts to present it in a nice easy to read way.

We are always grateful to gain bug reports and suggestions from community members like yourself, who have a clear passion for improving the game.

Thank you.

You're very welcome.

I was always of the understanding that with each bug report, at the top of the ticket, the bug report system would list all that information for the tech support person. I had also thought hat typing /bug was the appropriate way to open a bug ticket, but was informed in my last response that I was supposed to do it another way.

Anyway, the bug has cleared up, but as I mentioned before, it's cleared up before only to re-occur again, and I'm sure it will happen again. Hopefully someone will be able to look at the dbase logs under my character names and see if an error is given, and can fix it for good. Good luck!