Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New raid armor art going into gambling boxes.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New raid armor art going into gambling boxes.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Hambunctious
10.23.2012 , 04:37 PM | #191
Subscribers shouldn't have to buy keys. They have these boxes in DCUO, and subs can open them just for subbing. The f2p people have to buy the keys though.

Alec_Fortescue
10.23.2012 , 04:45 PM | #192
There won't be lockboxes that would drop in the world. There are random equipment packs in the store and there is no other way than buying those (each month subbers get enough coins to open only one Crime Lord's Cartel pack!) to obtain some rare, fancy items like hoverchair mounts, Sith throne, some pretty armor set recolours, Nihilus' mount, Kowakian monkey lizard.... Those items will be tradeable after a period of time but still - who's gonna trade those for credits?
Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 - Accept my referral to express gratitude for my years-long fight for iconic Jedi attire in this "Star Wars" game. You'll get some goodies on top of it, too.

Monoth
10.23.2012 , 04:54 PM | #193
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorenia View Post
So now we know why the new raid tier is getting jipped on new armor sets.

Essentially art time got put into these gambling boxes and thus we have no new armor tier. For those unfamiliar with F2P these will be gambling boxes where the items you want are extremely rare. It's essentially unregulated gambling (much worse odds than Vegas for instance).
Not really, this was the design Bioware went with since day one

T1 Operation Gear
Tionese / Columi / Rakata
They all have the same skin just different colors

T2 Operations
Black Hole / Campaign / Dread Guard
Just like T1 Operations all T2 gear looks the same with different colors

So how is the new Raid Armor going into gambling boxes?!?
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

normandie
10.23.2012 , 05:09 PM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorenia View Post
So now we know why the new raid tier is getting jipped on new armor sets.

Essentially art time got put into these gambling boxes and thus we have no new armor tier. For those unfamiliar with F2P these will be gambling boxes where the items you want are extremely rare. It's essentially unregulated gambling (much worse odds than Vegas for instance).
Same thing happend with Star Trek Online all the good ships that have a lot of time and effort put into are in Lockboxes (same thing as these cartal gambling boxes) and all the bull crap they just rushed through is put into the full game for everyone.

arunav
10.23.2012 , 05:31 PM | #195
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
Not really, this was the design Bioware went with since day one

T1 Operation Gear
Tionese / Columi / Rakata
They all have the same skin just different colors

T2 Operations
Black Hole / Campaign / Dread Guard
Just like T1 Operations all T2 gear looks the same with different colors

So how is the new Raid Armor going into gambling boxes?!?
It's not. And it's even been stated as such officially by BioWare. It's bizarre, but a small segment of the overall population willfully believes they are being screwed over because there are packs available to purchase, when nobody has to purchase said packs to have good looking gear for their characters.

The store looks decent so far, and it will probably make for a lot of additional revenue for the game as they add more armor sets, pets, mounts, and the like. The prices are surprisingly reasonable - I really didn't expect that.

Chiltonium
10.23.2012 , 06:58 PM | #196
this is how its done with almost any game with a cash shop, deal with it. Dont buy it, or do buy it and enjoy. Jesus Christ.
Leathality Operative and Hatred (Madness) Assassin for 5 years running.

My referral link for those who'd like some free sub time!
http://www.swtor.com/r/mlytxl

Alec_Fortescue
10.23.2012 , 11:48 PM | #197
You know, it kinda sucks when you're supporting the game since pre-release and then, instead of improving the quality of the game (optimization, bug fixing) they use your money to make the content you're are unlikely to ever get your hands on.
Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 - Accept my referral to express gratitude for my years-long fight for iconic Jedi attire in this "Star Wars" game. You'll get some goodies on top of it, too.

AshlaBoga
10.24.2012 , 12:19 AM | #198
I'm just going to craft HK-51 gear like there's no tomorrow, and sell that on the GTN. Then when people sell Cartel Shop items I'll buy it at their ridiculous prices. 2.5 Million for a +41 Power Pink-Purple? Fine. 5 Million for a Throne Speeder? K.

The question of course is: are items from the Cartel Packs tradeable after 5 days? Cause the only items I want to buy are in the Cartel Packs - and I'm morally opposed to gambling (it's actually against my religion).
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Alec_Fortescue
10.24.2012 , 12:42 AM | #199
Jedi do not gamble, 'tis true. I am going to do the same as you - I saved 130 million credits and foresaw this coming. They will be very expensive, but hey. I am an end-game crafter. It will be very unlikely, however, to see the rare stuff you're after on gtn at a reasonable price (throne will be 3x 5 mil imo) will be very unlikely. People will wear them themselves, because they're rare, and because they might not be bothered to wait for the bound-time to wear off.

JimG
10.24.2012 , 01:14 AM | #200
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
The question of course is: are items from the Cartel Packs tradeable after 5 days? Cause the only items I want to buy are in the Cartel Packs - and I'm morally opposed to gambling (it's actually against my religion).
Yes, they can be sold on the GTN or traded...and there was a dev post today saying the timer will be much less than 5 days for subscribers. The "gambling" description is a little overboard though. By that rational, all baseball cards and other types of trading card packs are "gambling", yet kids can buy those at Toys-R-Us. When you're just getting in-game stuff and no tangible property or money from it, it's not really gambling from a legal perspective...and if you don't believe that, call up your local District Attorney and see how fast they hang up on you, lol.