Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New raid armor art going into gambling boxes.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New raid armor art going into gambling boxes.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sorenia
09.29.2012 , 12:02 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post

He said that we definitely intend to continue releasing new armor appearances for players doing endgame content. Explosive Conflict and Terror from Beyond were always intended to share the same appearance, just as Eternity Vault and Karagga’s Palace do, and our next Operation will feature a new appearance tier.
That frankly makes no sense. EV and Karagga's Palace were available at roughly the same time. Sure KP wasn't available at release but most of us were leveling then anyways. Whatever your "plans" were they were insufficient. Either way the reality is we've been jipped for a long time on new armor art. You owe us some new armor art at this point but it's being diverted to F2P content.

Even worse you put it into these gambling boxes where you aren't even required to provide the odds to a regulatory body. Then on top of that you get to sell them to children. Vegas must be pissing themselves with envy.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
The loot boxes are not 'gambling'.

This is no different than putting a quarter into a gumball machine.
Actually those little item vending machines are considered gambling in most states and are regulated under various rules.

PoliteAssasin
09.29.2012 , 01:16 AM | #112
They did this with mass effect 3 muliplayer with the packs in there. I hated that. Why not let us choose what to buy rather than spend money on a random drop? I want to pay for what I want, not a chance to get something. That not cool.
Manager of Basic Skills For A Better Society. We hand out <basic skill stim>s in PVP to those in need. A donation of 1000 credits can help maintain the basic skills of 10 players for a day. Thousands of Republic PVPers are in dire need of these stims. Head to your local Pub Fleet and donate now!

Mithros
09.29.2012 , 04:11 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorenia View Post
Actually those little item vending machines are considered gambling in most states and are regulated under various rules.
Right. Sure it is.

Look, it's really simple.

If this was gambling, it would have been shut down a long time ago.

Think that maybe the authorities just aren't aware of it? Then get on the phone and tell them yourself if you can manage to rip yourself away from the forums for a minute.

You don't have to like it; Heck, I don't like it, but it is what it is.

They are doing this for a reason: It works.

So don't buy them. Make your stand.

But something tells me that some of the people complaining loudest are going to end up deciding that that helmet is really nice and just perfect for the look that they were going for and well, they did work that overtime last week....

All the caterwauling on the forums means nothing if those boxes sell.
You want to make a statement? You make it loudest by not buying the stuff.

These words? Not worth the paper that they are printed on, and considering that they aren't even printed on paper, well...
Beta Squadron 157

As long as we remember, it's never really gone.

yoomazir
09.29.2012 , 05:01 AM | #114
This makes me think of the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer chests purchases.

Alec_Fortescue
09.29.2012 , 05:15 AM | #115
You can buy ME3 items for in-game currency. So far we don't know if we'll be able to spend in-game credits on such gambling boxes... And that quote about selling gambling boxes to children and Vegas wetting itself from envy... Just made my day.
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

Alec_Fortescue
09.29.2012 , 05:21 AM | #116
Shame that they want to include the already existing npc armor into the cartel shop. It's prolly gonna be stuff which was on most ads for the game (hood down armor sets...) that we should've received months ago.
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

MarekLonefeather
09.29.2012 , 08:49 AM | #117
The first season of Cartel packs will draw heavily on preexisting armor appearances that haven’t been used for player-wearable equipment thus far. They’ll include some new models, but we did not draw on endgame content appearances for them.
You know, I would never pay to gamble on a chance to get something in any game, but I would actually pay a few dollars to buy custom armor and weapon appearances and other things that I want as long as I'm enjoying playing the game. Unfortunately, Bioware, I'm not enjoying your game because it is boring at level 50. I find myself logging on and then realizing there is nothing to do that I will enjoy doing, so I log off and do something much more enjoyable like playing Free Cell on my PC or watching Storage Wars on TV; seriously. I cancelled my subscription a couple days ago because of this. I doubt I'll be playing F2P because if there was any reason for me to play, I would not have cancelled my sub. But this latest effort by you, Bioware, to fleece more money out of your players by coercing them into gambling for the appearances they want, just put the nail in your coffin as far as I'm concerned. Such behavior on your part is not only immoral and unethical but it might also be illegal here in the U.S. So before you implement your gambling scheme, you might want to have your legal department review the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 and all subsequent case law and then try to imagine the uproar from parents to their congressmen and senators when they find out little Johnny has wasted his college fund wagering for cyber gear in your game.

Kesphin
09.29.2012 , 10:25 AM | #118

The first season of Cartel packs will draw heavily on preexisting armor appearances that haven’t been used for player-wearable equipment thus far.
Just one word : shyster.

ZORG
09.29.2012 , 10:33 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Reble-Dog-Squad View Post
I don't see the big deal with this, at the moment in the game you can either get boxes for free as rewards for missions completed or spend commendations to get them.

Now they have decided to put them in the CC shop as something you can buy to get that 1 in a million cool looking gear.

This isn't new to the game, the new part is that you have to pay for them in F2P with real money or the free Cartel Coins that are given to subscribers.
Yes you may get the boxes for free as a subber but will you get the key to unlock it for free?
Fear leads to Anger
Anger leads to hate
HATE leads to suffering

Evensong
09.29.2012 , 10:35 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by ZORG View Post
Yes you may get the boxes for free as a subber but will you get the key to unlock it for free?
You will get monthly enough cartel coins to get a key. /shrug
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.