Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New raid armor art going into gambling boxes.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New raid armor art going into gambling boxes.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sorenia
09.22.2012 , 01:52 PM | #1
So now we know why the new raid tier is getting jipped on new armor sets.

Quote:
Q: What kind of things can we expect to see in the Cartel Coin shop.

Really cool mounts, cool pets, some gearsets (not impactful to endgame) that help players as they level up. The gear you will find will be interesting to everyone because it is not going to be restricted by class or by faction and all moddable. The gear you purchase in the CC shop is hopefully something you will be able to use for a class you got.

We also have a really cool thing called Cartel packs. Cartel packs you buy give you a random assortment of really cool items and a chance to get some of the cooler items that maybe in the game (not powerful, but very cool they going to make you look AMAZING!)
Essentially art time got put into these gambling boxes and thus we have no new armor tier. For those unfamiliar with F2P these will be gambling boxes where the items you want are extremely rare. It's essentially unregulated gambling (much worse odds than Vegas for instance).

BadOrb
09.22.2012 , 02:03 PM | #2
Yeah I didn't like the sound of that part either as well , I know it doesn't affect end-game but to me the leveling part from 1-50 is the most important part of the game. As for the fluff gambling boxes you have hit the nail on the head , it is gambling and people will go crazy and buy lots of the cartel boxes to get that 1 in a million chance cool looking item. PSO2 does it in Japan , I guess this will give me an idea of how that will be achieved in the West. I'm not a fan of such randomised boxed gifts really. I wont be collecting too many things from those boxes.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Aumeer
09.22.2012 , 02:12 PM | #3
This is rubbish
Aumeer of Bloodfin

WRATH HQ|WRATH|WRATH Site

Styxx
09.22.2012 , 02:42 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aumeer View Post
This is rubbish
Only to the idiots that`ll gamble, really.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Wraiven
09.22.2012 , 02:47 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
Sounds EXACTLY like how they have done STO. These irritating boxes will drop off of kills, but you can't open them without first heading to the store and paying real money to get a key to unlock these boxes. They will either have crap inside them (Most often then not) or they will have that *one* piece you have been looking for like crazy that nobody has.

It's a money trap and quite frankly, should be illegal IMO.
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kn (Guardian) Krll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xin (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

chuixupu
09.22.2012 , 02:56 PM | #6
GW2 has stuff like that as well, though you can sometimes get drops that will allow you to unlock them.

Honestly, if you don't like the idea of buying a box that you don't know what the contents will be, don't go to the cash shop and buy the stuff. Problem solved.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Sorenia
09.22.2012 , 03:07 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
GW2 has stuff like that as well, though you can sometimes get drops that will allow you to unlock them.
The GW2 boxes are completely different than what these are. Those always give something useful and never have anything amazing in them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
No it's rubbish for the rest of us. EA will see this as easy money and give up on meaningful content. The whole MMO industry is going to devolve into this crap.

Why make good games when you can get away with unregulated gambling?

Mechrophilia
09.22.2012 , 03:08 PM | #8
As long as these gambling boxes only contain aesthetic items that garner no advantage in gameplay, then I'm all for them, and I hope there are some wealthy players out there willing to buy them by the truckload.

Mechrophilia
09.22.2012 , 03:10 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorenia View Post
...EA will see this as easy money and give up on meaningful content. The whole MMO industry is going to devolve into this crap.
...Unless this happens

Sorenia
09.22.2012 , 03:57 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Mechrophilia View Post
As long as these gambling boxes only contain aesthetic items that garner no advantage in gameplay, then I'm all for them, and I hope there are some wealthy players out there willing to buy them by the truckload.
You really don't mind that we ALREADY lost normal content for these gambling boxes?