Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Story about HM FP cutscenes and general attitudes.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Story about HM FP cutscenes and general attitudes.

Ruskaeth's Avatar


Ruskaeth
09.20.2012 , 01:52 AM | #1
Roughly a week ago I decided to do the T1 with one of my healers. I find it cute that there are new players doing the T1s and I respect their wishes to see the cutscenes at least for the first time. I personally don't mind watching those because my life is not that hectic. I also understand that people with 5-6 lvl 50 characters do not want to watch those. I am one of those players, but like I said, I don't mind. This story and a lesson revolves not around the fact if you should or shouldn't let people watch the cutscenes, but how people should not approach players who wish or do not wish to watch.

Group was not very experienced, but we managed, one of the random players was there for the first time. We got Esseless and before skipping the cutscenes was even discussed, one of the DPSes started raving about "U HAVE TO SKIP THESE OMG NOOBS". Almost exactly like that. The attitude matters. Instead of arguing with this capslock humping and obviously unintelligent mongrel, I told the group that I am fine with a new player watching the cutscenes. He insisted that we would "VOTE KICK PLAYER WHO WATCHEZ!". At that moment, as there was no discussion or mutual agreement withint the group, I thought this guy is from Uranus. Simply put, the attitude was horrible. I was irked and I called a vote to kick him, just to make a point that it's not nice to be on the receiving end over something trivial. Luckily, our tank and other dps understood it as a humorous point being made and didn't vote him out. However, after this, as we skipped most of the cutscenes to be nice to the capslock adoring wet brick.

At this point, instead of overhealing (I play latest tier content with all roles, mDPS, rDPS, tank and couple of healers at lvl 50), I decided to check out our ranting DPS' gameplay. He was the worst I've ever seen. So, to have some personal fun, I let him die a few times and only after I noticed he would not bother to meditate between fights. Instead of understanding his position, he kepth ranting at the tank for not tanking properly (which he was). Our ranting DPS broke CCs, attacked wrong targets, wouldn't clean the weakest trash first and most likely took all possible AoEs there was because "gunslingers don't move".

Now, our patience was wearing thin but we endured gunslinger's brainfarts and I even kept him alive through the last fight of Esseless. After the fight, our ranting, bad, disgusting and capslocking DPS decided to verbally attack the tank one last time. It was too much: I put him on the vote for being kicked again. This time the vote went through immediatly.

Beauty of Esseless is that you do not get rewards until you have navigated back to the fleet or Coruscant.

Lesson: Whatever your opinion is, don't be impolite, compromise, consider being democratic and nice.

Acting like our "elite hc super gunslinger dps" might backfire.

Yours, Ruswyn/Rusvyn/Mrachan/Hylkykakka/Laiheliini @ Red Eclipse (I think at least)

POPsi's Avatar


POPsi
09.20.2012 , 02:37 AM | #2
He had it coming apparently. I usually just SB through the cutscenes, have seen them all several times, but I don't mind either if someone is watching them. I'll just start on a cigarette or something and press the numbers when it comes to that.

haliy's Avatar


haliy
09.20.2012 , 04:53 AM | #3
Playing as a Tank myself, If i find that one of the DPS starts acting like a complete tard as you encountered and I have someone in the group that I know is completely new, I would usually tend to say "Oh my, I seem to have forgotten what all the cut scenes look like and I think I might watch all of them just for the pure enjoyment". Half the time after that comment, the DPS which is acting this way usually leaves the group. After they leave, a short /ignore for that player usually follows. My companion DPS is usually as geared if not more geared than the DPS leaving anyways.
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

Vankris's Avatar


Vankris
09.20.2012 , 05:59 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruskaeth View Post
Acting like our "elite hc super gunslinger dps" might backfire.
Quite a specimen you had here, got what he deserves, hopefully, he will learn some maners. I'd like to think that those kind of players are still a rare bread, most players i played with, tough sometime aking to spacebar, are far more patient and polite.

But let's be honest, that players was everything but an elite, from what you descibed, i wouldn't be surprised to see him below the tank damage done, in addition to all the CC breaking and fail.
Shadow | Kinetic Combat

SamuelAU's Avatar


SamuelAU
09.20.2012 , 06:09 AM | #5
This is quite conincidental, because I had someone with the exact some attitude in the Esseles HM last week. He was a pretty bad Guardian DPS and refused to fight Ironfist up on the bridge to avoid the adds, actually initiating the fights instead of me (the tank), causing us to wipe 3 times.

I digress. Having done all of the flashpoints I skip through the cutscenes, but at the beginning of the flashpoint I always ask, "Is everyone happy to spacebar through everything?" If someone wants to see the cutscenes I'll happily oblige and most reasonable people would as well. There are a few, like the player you described, that make PuG flashpoints sometimes a painful experience.

Screaming_Ziva's Avatar


Screaming_Ziva
09.20.2012 , 06:10 AM | #6
I spacebar through HM cutscenes as well but, if you've never done the FP before and want to watch the cutscenes, do SM first.

Brittaany_Banks's Avatar


Brittaany_Banks
09.20.2012 , 08:53 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruskaeth View Post
Roughly a week ago I decided to do the T1 with one of my healers. I find it cute that there are new players doing the T1s and I respect their wishes to see the cutscenes at least for the first time. I personally don't mind watching those because my life is not that hectic. I also understand that people with 5-6 lvl 50 characters do not want to watch those. I am one of those players, but like I said, I don't mind. This story and a lesson revolves not around the fact if you should or shouldn't let people watch the cutscenes, but how people should not approach players who wish or do not wish to watch.

Group was not very experienced, but we managed, one of the random players was there for the first time. We got Esseless and before skipping the cutscenes was even discussed, one of the DPSes started raving about "U HAVE TO SKIP THESE OMG NOOBS". Almost exactly like that. The attitude matters. Instead of arguing with this capslock humping and obviously unintelligent mongrel, I told the group that I am fine with a new player watching the cutscenes. He insisted that we would "VOTE KICK PLAYER WHO WATCHEZ!". At that moment, as there was no discussion or mutual agreement withint the group, I thought this guy is from Uranus. Simply put, the attitude was horrible. I was irked and I called a vote to kick him, just to make a point that it's not nice to be on the receiving end over something trivial. Luckily, our tank and other dps understood it as a humorous point being made and didn't vote him out. However, after this, as we skipped most of the cutscenes to be nice to the capslock adoring wet brick.

At this point, instead of overhealing (I play latest tier content with all roles, mDPS, rDPS, tank and couple of healers at lvl 50), I decided to check out our ranting DPS' gameplay. He was the worst I've ever seen. So, to have some personal fun, I let him die a few times and only after I noticed he would not bother to meditate between fights. Instead of understanding his position, he kepth ranting at the tank for not tanking properly (which he was). Our ranting DPS broke CCs, attacked wrong targets, wouldn't clean the weakest trash first and most likely took all possible AoEs there was because "gunslingers don't move".

Now, our patience was wearing thin but we endured gunslinger's brainfarts and I even kept him alive through the last fight of Esseless. After the fight, our ranting, bad, disgusting and capslocking DPS decided to verbally attack the tank one last time. It was too much: I put him on the vote for being kicked again. This time the vote went through immediatly.

Beauty of Esseless is that you do not get rewards until you have navigated back to the fleet or Coruscant.

Lesson: Whatever your opinion is, don't be impolite, compromise, consider being democratic and nice.

Acting like our "elite hc super gunslinger dps" might backfire.

Yours, Ruswyn/Rusvyn/Mrachan/Hylkykakka/Laiheliini @ Red Eclipse (I think at least)
First of all this gunslinger was being a complete ahole. I want that stated for the record before I continue.

If members of your group want to watch cutscenes ESPECIALLY IN ESSELES which takes like 45 minutes minimum to complete viewing all the cutscenes then go do story mode. Every hard mode has a story mode they can run by themselves. Some people have a fixed amount of time they allocate towards these flashpoints.

Second... even though the DPS was being a complete ahole, kicking him just prior to the completion of the flashpoint was a real dick move. Complete the flashpoint, let him have a shot at the loot, then put him on ignore. Regardless of how you feel about his attitude he still did contribute DPS to the overall success of the FP no matter how much it sucked.
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?

Jimvinny's Avatar


Jimvinny
09.20.2012 , 10:13 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
First of all this gunslinger was being a complete ahole. I want that stated for the record before I continue.

If members of your group want to watch cutscenes ESPECIALLY IN ESSELES which takes like 45 minutes minimum to complete viewing all the cutscenes then go do story mode. Every hard mode has a story mode they can run by themselves. Some people have a fixed amount of time they allocate towards these flashpoints.

Second... even though the DPS was being a complete ahole, kicking him just prior to the completion of the flashpoint was a real dick move. Complete the flashpoint, let him have a shot at the loot, then put him on ignore. Regardless of how you feel about his attitude he still did contribute DPS to the overall success of the FP no matter how much it sucked.
***** are going to get hit with dick moves. Kicking him after the last boss fight, but prior to the completion of the FP is perfect. he gets a chance at the loot he contributed to getting, but doesn't get the TEAM rewards that come along with finishing a team-oriented objective. If someone is going to act like this DPS did, he does not deserve to be treated as part of a team.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
09.20.2012 , 01:42 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruskaeth View Post
... cool story ...
The one shame is that angry-capslock-boy will continue to act that way to others. Sometimes I wish there were real-life consequences to extreme rudeness that is hidden behind internet anonymity.

happysister's Avatar


happysister
09.20.2012 , 02:19 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jimvinny View Post
***** are going to get hit with dick moves. Kicking him after the last boss fight, but prior to the completion of the FP is perfect. he gets a chance at the loot he contributed to getting, but doesn't get the TEAM rewards that come along with finishing a team-oriented objective. If someone is going to act like this DPS did, he does not deserve to be treated as part of a team.
this. if it were me, i probably would have needed on all the gear he was needing on too. i have a low tolerance for jerks. especially jerks who treat newbies like trash. i was a newbie once. i know how it feels.
.
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic/Empire