Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

denpic's Avatar


denpic
09.20.2012 , 05:44 PM | #51
Edited Wrong quote

He's right /signed / bumped and +1 add nothing to the discussion
This is an important issue and people need to express it in a better way

Superpasta's Avatar


Superpasta
09.20.2012 , 05:59 PM | #52
/support

Cross-server unlikely to happen since APAC servers are physically located outside US, which was supposed to be a good thing, if the boat didn't sink that fast & serious.

So 2 options left:

1) Give the people an option at APAC servers who want to move back to US servers to free transfer away.

2) Then for the APAC people who choose to stay because of ping preference, merge the 3 APAC servers into one.

If that happens, I might return to play, now is just wasting my time. (an unsubscripted APAC player)

HauksbokT's Avatar


HauksbokT
09.20.2012 , 06:02 PM | #53
Good post Chippy,

But here's the thing regarding t-fers/merge


http://twitter.com/Joveth/status/248810908275589120

Kynesis's Avatar


Kynesis
09.20.2012 , 06:07 PM | #54
Populations on the Oceanic servers are certainly an issue that needs to be addressed, I notice that during the day the Imperial Fleet typically has 40-60 people on while in the evenings it seems to average 100-120.
When the servers first opened I'd often see well over 300 on fleet of an evening, the starter worlds with >100 people in various zones etc.

Merging three very distinct communities and removing entirely (I presume quite safely I think, that PvE is the common ground), dedicated PvP and RP servers is a rather desperate measure - it'll certainly address the particular (and important) issue of population (in the short term) but the negative effects may also be quite significant - particularly going forward if new players attracted to the game don't have these well established MMO options.
There has to be a better answer.

My impression is that BW only has a few thousand subscribers on the Oceanic servers (whatever the actual number, it's a tiny fraction of their whole player base). It doesn't seem likely that there can there be a clear business case for pursuing x-server solutions (which additionally, they've been totally against for philosophical reasons right from the start).
I say this because EA is all about the bottom line and the only way we'll see action on it is if both the numbers add up and BW has the capacity and interest to pursue it.
... and now that I've mentioned capacity and interest - BW is clearly busting a gut just to get content out and finish off "quality of life" features that have been missing from key features for quite some time.

There's also that not-insignificant project they're working on to add 5 extra levels to the game and the new world Makeb (amongst other things). There's been precious little work on updating / improving existing class abilities & features and as we've seen most recently with the proposed 1.4 changes, the things they are working on are highly peripheral yet also clumsily controversial.

The PTS though it had been sitting idle for months (aside presumably from internal use) wasn't ready for more than a handful of players to use. When you look at the company as a whole it's clear that it's divided into teams who each have their own goals, directions and valuations; The chance we'll see BW somehow pull themselves together to get properly organized and tackle things in a more thoughtful, cohesive manner really seems quite slim.

Superpasta's Avatar


Superpasta
09.20.2012 , 06:08 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by HauksbokT View Post
Good post Chippy,

But here's the thing regarding t-fers/merge


http://twitter.com/Joveth/status/248810908275589120
Well, fair enough. One less game to play.

Antipodes's Avatar


Antipodes
09.20.2012 , 06:13 PM | #56
I only see two options:

1) Consolidate all of the APAC servers into a single server.
Pros: Good latency
Cons: Which server type (PvE, RP, PVP, RP-PVP) for the single server? Bound to piss off some customers who are forced into something they do not want.

2) Merge APAC servers back to US West
Pros: Everyone keeps their server type
Cons: Back to bad latency.

This is a difficult choice which will inevitably lead to one group of people being happy and another being pissed off. I can see why Bioware hasn't done anything about it yet because they can't win no matter what they do.

HauksbokT's Avatar


HauksbokT
09.20.2012 , 06:15 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
I only see two options:

1) Consolidate all of the APAC servers into a single server.
Pros: Good latency
Cons: Which server type (PvE, RP, PVP, RP-PVP) for the single server? Bound to piss off some customers who are forced into something they do not want.

2) Merge APAC servers back to US West
Pros: Everyone keeps their server type
Cons: Back to bad latency.

This is a difficult choice which will inevitably lead to one group of people being happy and another being pissed off. I can see why Bioware hasn't done anything about it yet because they can't win no matter what they do.
See my post on previous page, it's gg.

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
09.20.2012 , 06:45 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
I only see two options:

1) Consolidate all of the APAC servers into a single server.
Pros: Good latency
Cons: Which server type (PvE, RP, PVP, RP-PVP) for the single server? Bound to piss off some customers who are forced into something they do not want.

2) Merge APAC servers back to US West
Pros: Everyone keeps their server type
Cons: Back to bad latency.

This is a difficult choice which will inevitably lead to one group of people being happy and another being pissed off. I can see why Bioware hasn't done anything about it yet because they can't win no matter what they do.
Actually if they do anything it should be:
Offer players on DG/MDN the choice of going to Dalborra or back to a West Coast US PVP/RP server. Some people care more about latency, some care more about RP/PVP. One solution does not fit all so you give people a choice.

That said: I'm on Dalborra so I'm all for boosting our population but I don't suffer any of the downsides of a server transfer. I feel for the people on GD/MDN though.

Antipodes's Avatar


Antipodes
09.20.2012 , 06:53 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Actually if they do anything it should be:
Offer players on DG/MDN the choice of going to Dalborra or back to a West Coast US PVP/RP server. Some people care more about latency, some care more about RP/PVP. One solution does not fit all so you give people a choice.

That said: I'm on Dalborra so I'm all for boosting our population but I don't suffer any of the downsides of a server transfer. I feel for the people on GD/MDN though.
Optional transfers makes the population situation even worse for those people who want to stick around. Look what happened to the origin servers after they first opened transfers.

Jarlgon's Avatar


Jarlgon
09.20.2012 , 07:35 PM | #60
I don't trust Joveth
he seems to be stuck up somewhere.
The sever populations on the RP and PvP servers are very low.
https://twitter.com/Joveth