Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jasoneth
06.05.2013 , 01:13 PM | #5751
Quote: Originally Posted by MenollyWanderer View Post
That's cool, but what if I get to the new server and want to buy another slot for a character? Will I be able to? Someone stated a while ago that they were able to move all their 16 characters but were barred from making any new ones until they had gotten the numbers down to below 11. Deleting characters is not an option for me
You'll never be required to delete any characters to make a new one, unless you've maxed out the slots you have. The situation mentioned was a bug which I think Musco said was resolved. But if you buy an extra character slot now and log onto the destination, you should see 0/18 active characters.

But no matter what, you'll be able to fill out your purchased slots. CS would fix anything that went wrong anyway. Best of luck!
Teo, co-host and producer of OotiniCast

Neozjt
06.05.2013 , 01:13 PM | #5752
Quote: Originally Posted by MenollyWanderer View Post
That's cool, but what if I get to the new server and want to buy another slot for a character? Will I be able to? Someone stated a while ago that they were able to move all their 16 characters but were barred from making any new ones until they had gotten the numbers down to below 11. Deleting characters is not an option for me
I Believe that shouldn't be a problem, you should be able to move all your characters and if you feel like purchasing new slots up to the max of 22 it should be fine. If by the rare chance its not then at least you wont loose any of your characters you will just be limited to the amount you have till they fix the bug which shouldn't be a terrible thing because that would be a bug they would fix. So if it is a problem its not one you would have to put up for for long but as i said i don't believe it will be a issue for you i have 22 character slots and moved a good 18 toons and i am able to create new toons if i feel like it and am having no issue so you should be ok
Lightning never strikes the same place twice cause i don't need it to
Alexandriaa Sith Sorcerer
Neoz Sith Juggernaut

LrdRahvin
06.05.2013 , 01:19 PM | #5753
Quote: Originally Posted by HobbesToo View Post
And what will happen when the Destination server already is at the maximum 22/22 active characters, what will happen to the 22 that are being imported?
22 is a hard cap on the number of characters per server...i.e. you CANNOT even purchase slots above 22 on a single server.

therefore you won't be able to transfer any till you delete (or move with 2.2 paid xfers) some characters.

MenollyWanderer
06.05.2013 , 01:25 PM | #5754
Quote: Originally Posted by Neozjt View Post
I Believe that shouldn't be a problem, you should be able to move all your characters and if you feel like purchasing new slots up to the max of 22 it should be fine. If by the rare chance its not then at least you wont loose any of your characters you will just be limited to the amount you have till they fix the bug which shouldn't be a terrible thing because that would be a bug they would fix. So if it is a problem its not one you would have to put up for for long but as i said i don't believe it will be a issue for you i have 22 character slots and moved a good 18 toons and i am able to create new toons if i feel like it and am having no issue so you should be ok
Yay cool thank you guys that really takes a lot of my stress away. Good to know 22 is the absolute max as well. So do you think these rules apply to just waiting for the merge as well?

JenHarkness
06.05.2013 , 02:13 PM | #5755 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by ambitiousapple View Post
One of my characters which failed to transfer due to all my character slots being full on the destination server is now locked out of being able to be transferred. I can still log on to this character on my origin server, and I can still log on to my other successfully-transferred characters on my destination server, I just can't initiate the transfer processes for that previously-failed character.
Thanks for the detailed information, this is exactly what we need!

I talked to the platform and web folks, and what's happening is that failed transfers are being interpreted as permanent failures that can't be retried. In the case of character counts, that's invalid, since you should be able to free up slots on the destination server or buy an additional character slot and retry the transfer successfully.

With the next code publish we're going to fix that behavior, but in the short term, we're going to start cleaning up failures occasionally so that you can retry the failed transfer. Just be sure to check that there is space available on the destination before you retry, or you'll get stuck again until the next cleanup! : )
Jen Harkness
Senior Server Programmer

ambitiousapple
06.05.2013 , 02:53 PM | #5756
Quote: Originally Posted by JenHarkness View Post
Thanks for the detailed information, this is exactly what we need!

I talked to the platform and web folks, and what's happening is that failed transfers are being interpreted as permanent failures that can't be retried. In the case of character counts, that's invalid, since you should be able to free up slots on the destination server or buy an additional character slot and retry the transfer successfully.

With the next code publish we're going to fix that behavior, but in the short term, we're going to start cleaning up failures occasionally so that you can retry the failed transfer. Just be sure to check that there is space available on the destination before you retry, or you'll get stuck again until the next cleanup! : )
Yep, after double-checking I had room for the transfer, I've just successfully transferred the ex-locked character to it's destination server. Cheers for the quick response and awesome communication about these errors too!
F u w a h / P r o x
When it's all said and done...

RIP swtor ranked 4's, 01/10/13 - 31/5/14

Sovetski
06.05.2013 , 03:19 PM | #5757
STILL LOCKED

Around 8am yesterday (AEST) I went to transfer my level 55 character from Master Dar'Nala to the Bastion and it failed to transfer. I do not have my character slots maxed out on the destination server so ths is not the issue. My other characters transfered with no issues however this character has not. I raised an ingame ticket as soon as this occurred yet I have no response. This is 24 hours ago. I see other people getting their locked characters fixed with communication over it however you have not rectified this issue.

Please do not respond with a generic "you symperthise with my frustrations". I am looking for action and a solution so that I can get back into playing the game.

Please respond.

ChuangTzu
06.05.2013 , 03:52 PM | #5758
Quote: Originally Posted by jasoneth View Post
The closest servers are US west coast (e.g. The Harbinger). Ping is 170-200ms from Brisbane. I've been playing there since launch, no issues with PvE or PvP. But it's never going to be as good as local servers.
That's great for you but having now been on a server for a year with a ping of 20-40ms there is a noticeable difference going to 170-200ms ping. Is it unplayable? No but it is noticeably worse. So my play experience has been diminished. Will the increased pop make up for that? Time will tell.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

Obirayy
06.05.2013 , 04:09 PM | #5759
my character is still 'transfer in progress'

Transfer requested on 06.04.13 (over 24hours ago) lol
Transfer queued on game server

im not in a hurry to transfer it cause its an alt but be good to get it fixed. let me know if you want anymore info

ruxus
06.05.2013 , 07:01 PM | #5760
I miss Dalborra already it was fine really...

Maybe if EA/BioWare did -some- local advertisement, we wouldn't be in this mess. A few mentions on online tech websites which range from 100s to just 1000s of readers at best doesn't count. You can't expect a social media boost either. How many MMORPG players exactly use twitter for example?

I still see TV advertisement for the expansion to that other game that shall not be named.

The marketing guru's nailed this one.

On another note, I made a mistake with my transfer and Customer Support has been non-existent. What an awful experience