Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Scorpiooooo's Avatar


Scorpiooooo
05.31.2013 , 11:08 PM | #5451
Finally!

This is how I feel about transfers next week.

See you on Harbinger!
Quote: Originally Posted by Clarian View Post
Luke's motivation to confront Vader wasn't to get a new belt.

Nuffmeister's Avatar


Nuffmeister
05.31.2013 , 11:33 PM | #5452
Wonderful news!

Thank you to all that made this happen, both my accounts can be on the same server now!
Ever feel as clumsy as you are stupid? Keep coming out of lightspeed too close to a system? See your nearest Imperial Optometrist for a free eye test. It may just save your life.

HarghTalach's Avatar


HarghTalach
05.31.2013 , 11:37 PM | #5453
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuffmeister View Post
Wonderful news!

Thank you to all that made this happen, both my accounts can be on the same server now!
^ This! Thank you to all for this transfer, you have made my day.

DuckimusPrime's Avatar


DuckimusPrime
05.31.2013 , 11:43 PM | #5454
Quote: Originally Posted by Zizzz View Post
A big thanks must go out to Eric for getting this done.

Thank you !
For getting what done? The third post after Eric's asks the exact same questions people have been asking since they announced this unwanted solution to a problem that most APAC players haven't been experiencing.

Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Your mistake is in accusing me of presenting arguments. I'm not arguing with you. I'm pointing out facts that are public record. Facts you do not like and you continue to pretend you have an option 3. Which is your choice if that is what you want to do. But the only person arguing here is you, and you are doing so from a false premise.
The facts are as follows.

EA refused to sell SWTOR in the Asian Pacific Region until after the release of local servers, as they stated that playing on US West servers would not provide an adequate play experience. Now they have decided to move us to US West servers to provide an improved play experience. What's changed?

Well one of the things that helped higher ping players was the global cooldown. It provided a set block on all players that was larger than the latency most players would experience. Now they've changed alacrity to reduce that cooldown, making it harder to compete with a higher ping rate.

Since launch they've added more end game content, where enemies have shorter cast times and shorter interrupt windows. Hard Mode Toborro's Courtyard, the cast time for the big laser drops to 2 seconds. With a 300ms ping I lose a significant portion of that window, making playing that content even harder. How the hell is a APAC player going to work with any Nightmare mode content?

The reason stated by Eric for the transfers to the US, was that server type was the most important thing to people. Hence why they couldn't just try an single APAC server. Now based on feedback, they're allowing people to transfer to whatever server type they want. Its clearly something that wasn't important.

People were limited to US West servers only. As some people may be in locations that get better connections to European servers, they're now allowing transfers to whatever server you want.

So based on feedback, this forced shutdown of the APAC servers has gone from people being forced to transfer from to one specific US West Server of the same type they are already on, to being a completely free transfer to US or European server. So why wouldn't we keep asking about a single APAC super server? Its the only restriction on their original, unwanted solution that hasn't been removed.

Naanuk's Avatar


Naanuk
06.01.2013 , 12:29 AM | #5455
They told us a while ago now that we are being moved to US servers - rightly or wrongly. I'd rather still continue to play on an Aussie based server but as soon as they came out with the statement that they were moving us and closing down the servers I realised that this was what was going to happen. Server protest or not, petition or not.

All these people that are still moaning about having APAC super server, Bioware lying and trying to investigate the actual reason why they are doing it need to just give up and forget about it. You are wasting your time. Whats done is done.

Either you need to move to a US server or unsubscribe in protest. Either way BIoware/EA will not be that bothered. So get over yourselves and realise that you really arn't as important as you think.

If you are angry then so be it. But there is a large majority of APAC players that just wanna get on with it and its finally going to happen. I wont go as far as thanking Eric for it, I personally think that hes done nothing for the APAC community at all except for being the spokesman of its destruction but its happening and its time to move on or check out.

Grow a pair.

Laris_Rai's Avatar


Laris_Rai
06.01.2013 , 01:40 AM | #5456
Ah, how nice. My Legacy should get about a three level boost. Looking forward to the move.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Aebrynis's Avatar


Aebrynis
06.01.2013 , 01:41 AM | #5457
Quote: Originally Posted by DuckimusPrime View Post
The reason stated by Eric for the transfers to the US, was that server type was the most important thing to people. Hence why they couldn't just try an single APAC server. Now based on feedback, they're allowing people to transfer to whatever server type they want. Its clearly something that wasn't important.

People were limited to US West servers only. As some people may be in locations that get better connections to European servers, they're now allowing transfers to whatever server you want.

So based on feedback, this forced shutdown of the APAC servers has gone from people being forced to transfer from to one specific US West Server of the same type they are already on, to being a completely free transfer to US or European server. So why wouldn't we keep asking about a single APAC super server? Its the only restriction on their original, unwanted solution that hasn't been removed.
This was never about anything else except money, specifically, the cost of maintaining operating server sites in Sydney. They gambled, correctly, that enough people would simply accept the transfers, and those they did lose would be offset by not having to pay for APAC-based server tech. There's simply no other way to look at this.

If someone would prefer to have an APAC super-server, great. Prefer away. Heck, I'm one of those people, but the time has arrived that we have to prepare for the one option we're being given. That option is a server transfer off of APAC. We have no other choices. None. Time to knuckle down and start laying the groundwork for your toon's new home.

elitenz's Avatar


elitenz
06.01.2013 , 02:45 AM | #5458
Note: these rates can change due to your location, Testing location: Christchurch, New Zealand -/- ISP ORCON

The Harbinger: 172-223
The Bastion: 183-240ms
Begeren colony: 187-245ms ( Very low numbers for Oceanics )
The Prophecy of Five: 241ms
The shadowlands: 250ms
Jedi Covenant: 269-329ms
Jung Ma: 340-409ms
The Ebon Hawk: 290-412ms

Europe
T3-M4 : 353ms
The Red Eclipse : 335ms

DuckimusPrime's Avatar


DuckimusPrime
06.01.2013 , 02:59 AM | #5459
Quote: Originally Posted by Aebrynis View Post
They gambled, correctly, that enough people would simply accept the transfers, and those they did lose would be offset by not having to pay for APAC-based server tech. There's simply no other way to look at this.
Gambled correctly? I must've missed it where the server shutdown has already occurred and it was shown to be the right decision by their player base.

Quote:
Heck, I'm one of those people, but the time has arrived that we have to prepare for the one option we're being given. That option is a server transfer off of APAC. We have no other choices. None. Time to knuckle down and start laying the groundwork for your toon's new home.
And we've still been given none of the information needed for that preparation. What is going to happen with character name clashes? Will people be given a refund if they've paid for name changes that they'll lose when they shift servers?

ingenuityfails's Avatar


ingenuityfails
06.01.2013 , 06:52 AM | #5460
I'm happy the transfers are finally coming in. And find it hilarious people are calling 250-300ms ping 'unplayable'. You've clearly been sheltered by Biowares generosity for too long. How many other popular MMO's do you know that have dedicated APAC servers?

Fact is, the tORtanic has been steadily losing subs for a long time. It costs them less money to maintain less servers and they're going to wring this for all it's worth while it's around.

If you intend to roll with the punches and keep playing, why kick up such a fuss? If you intend to unsub, well you're saying you're no longer going to be a customer, why should they care about what you say? All the impotent rage in here would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetic. **** happens. They might be a soulless business, but telling them that doesn't change the fact. It's their game, and they'll do what they want. Shouldn't need to be saying this to a bunch of Aussies, but seriously; harden the **** up.
Mydian - "'Light' and 'Dark' are words. Nothing more."