Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

darthnish
05.23.2013 , 09:29 AM | #5371
Quote: Originally Posted by Rantank View Post
No. Chinese get a noticeably lower ping from West Coast USA than from Australia. It's painful to play on APAC from Asia except for a few South East Asian countries.
i can confirm this. APAC servers= 450ms, US west coast = 264 ms, LOGIC

Icebergy
05.23.2013 , 09:54 AM | #5372
Quote: Originally Posted by MouldyCrow View Post
Moved on from this game when they announced this US migration. I will definitely take any opportunity given at PAX to let them know I have no intention of spending a single cent with Bioware ever again over this.
You guys don't have enough players to warrant making a super server, that is not really Bioware's fault. Well I suppose you can make the case that it is, but given that fact it is not unreasonable for them to want to move you to servers that are actually profitable for them.

Also you guys are severely exaggerating the ping issue. Back in WoW we had an Aussie guildy on our EAST COAST server and he never complained about any lag and his performance was never influenced by lag.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

xxpcwizardxx
05.23.2013 , 10:48 AM | #5373
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Also you guys are severely exaggerating the ping issue. Back in WoW we had an Aussie guildy on our EAST COAST server and he never complained about any lag and his performance was never influenced by lag.
+1 i played wow for years on 300 ms latency and there was no lag what so ever and with swtor on the west coast server i get a stable 182 ms and i can't see any lag what so ever, it runs as smoothly as apac server so latency isn't an issue with me

and to that troll who called me an idiot, its easy to mock some1 without given a reason for it and i know what latency is buddy

latency is the time measured to get between a source and its destination in sending and receiving packets.

i would just pointing out that you won't be able to tell the difference with <= 200 ms and there are as i said other types of lag in this game 1 is graphics, as people have notice bioware haven''t optimize this game correctly and with some graphic profile settings set you can make it better and your performance should improve

i know how u people think you think that 200 ms is bigger number 20 ms and that it 10th of sec more than it was before but your not going to be able to notice that 10th of sec so no beggy and for those who want to know if there latency is good for west coast check my rating system and find your latency by making a toon in the realm u wish to go in

i m not going to say anymore on latency as many people in this forum are un educated and start flame wars when they are in the wrong to begin with
May The Force Be With You.

Bottcobco
05.23.2013 , 01:50 PM | #5374
@xxpcwizardxx

Would be keen to have a read of your guide for optimizing graphics performance for the game. If you have written it and have a link could you please post it? I play the game from NZ coincidentally to the Harbinger and usually sit at less than 200ms latency. I do get lag spikes but from what I understand so does everyone.

AndbeKeper
05.23.2013 , 05:39 PM | #5375
Quote: Originally Posted by xxpcwizardxx View Post
+1 i played wow for years on 300 ms latency and there was no lag what so ever and with swtor on the west coast server i get a stable 182 ms and i can't see any lag what so ever, it runs as smoothly as apac server so latency isn't an issue with me

and to that troll who called me an idiot, its easy to mock some1 without given a reason for it and i know what latency is buddy

latency is the time measured to get between a source and its destination in sending and receiving packets.

i would just pointing out that you won't be able to tell the difference with <= 200 ms and there are as i said other types of lag in this game 1 is graphics, as people have notice bioware haven''t optimize this game correctly and with some graphic profile settings set you can make it better and your performance should improve

i know how u people think you think that 200 ms is bigger number 20 ms and that it 10th of sec more than it was before but your not going to be able to notice that 10th of sec so no beggy and for those who want to know if there latency is good for west coast check my rating system and find your latency by making a toon in the realm u wish to go in

i m not going to say anymore on latency as many people in this forum are un educated and start flame wars when they are in the wrong to begin with
I'm sorry xxpcwizardxx, but my experience playing WoW for years at 300+ms lag was significantly different. And it was due to network latency. Bioware, at least in the public statements they made prior to the APAC release, must have agree with this, as they said that they couldn't provided an acceptable game experience for our region without local servers.

And a word of advice - if you wish to avoid starting flame wars, perhaps using less inflammatory language might assist.

vian
05.23.2013 , 06:03 PM | #5376
Quote: Originally Posted by Nommaz View Post
So they are heading to a huge gaming conference/festival, where they can spread the game to Australians, where they can advertise for free, and yet, are still merging the servers before this, when they could wait for the population increase after it, use it as a marketing tool, seriously who makes the decisions there...

Is it me or does that not make any sense
You do know that Bioware makes other games, right? They aren't just coming to PaxAus for SWTOR. I'm as bummed out at the transfers as anyone, but if it has to happen, it may as well happen quickly.

One of the reasons this whole process has taken so g-dd-mn long is because they decided to sit on their hands while F2P was rolled out, to see what effect that would have on the numbers. Suggesting that they spend more time seeing what happens after a convention, giving us another month or two in limbo? That there makes no sense.
Two blasters; no waiting!

Andryah
05.23.2013 , 06:10 PM | #5377
Quote: Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
Wow... a little uninformed aren't we? They are forcing us to move.
Logout. Don't play. See how that works?

Or... cope with it.

The choice is yours.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Andryah
05.23.2013 , 06:16 PM | #5378
Quote: Originally Posted by Ultramecha View Post
Im curious if they brought chinese players in if that would save apac servers...
Subscription MMOs are illegal in China, even freemium ones. It's also illegal to operate them outside of China for Chinese citizens. They must be locally operated. Expats.. they can tunnel and play, and many do.

They would have to build and deploy a completely non-sub version (like WoW did) and would have to operate it locally in China using an local business partner. The business model that is legal is token based pay for time to play.

Even if the ping for Chinese was not an issue.. there is no way they can legally play on a foreign server. Chinese players might not care and just tunnel and play.. but EA would get in deep doodoo with the Chinese government.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

scaramunja
05.23.2013 , 07:49 PM | #5379
You guys don't have enough players to warrant making a super server, that is not really Bioware's fault. Well I suppose you can make the case that it is, but given that fact it is not unreasonable for them to want to move you to servers that are actually profitable for them.
I agree.

I am not a pvper here on Master D - but to give them their due - this is an issue for PVP, likely not huge for PVE. Some of the PVPers on Master D are pretty fanatical (and decent from what I have seen) and there's probably the valid case that it will affect their competitiveness.
There are no lightside zabrak avatars

Majic, Shadow

scaramunja
05.23.2013 , 07:54 PM | #5380
Quote: Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
Bioware are heading to PAX Australia. Maybe it's time we organized a rebellion of our own?
If I didn't think I would get banned or charged for inciting real criminal activity I would say something completely dry and tongue-in-cheek like: "Yeah, get really, really upset about a computer game and go hurt the people who are making your life a misery and you will be much,much happier", but Im not saying that at all because you might think I was serious or that I respected your mental problem.
There are no lightside zabrak avatars

Majic, Shadow