Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DonkeyPlough
03.31.2013 , 04:44 PM | #4761
Quote: Originally Posted by chriscshunter View Post
You are wrong about the ping.
He's not wrong about the ping. That's just like... your opinion man.

It is fascinating that because someone is able to tolerate the ping, all of those that do have issues with it, as they prefer their video games to be responsive, are considered to be incorrect.

SgtKatharn
03.31.2013 , 06:23 PM | #4762
Quote: Originally Posted by S-leonhart View Post
So some friends and i have a couple of questions regarding these mergers and transfers, as do a lot of the people in this thread it seems, so i thought i might try and consolidate some major ones into a single post in hopes that they can be replied to all in one go.

1. Will we be able to keep our legacy name and level?
2. Will we be able to keep our guild name and vault?
3. Will there be a way to transfer an entire guild at once during the 'select your server' phase?
4. Will you make some form of exception for names having to change? such as longer played time gets preference, or subscriber names get preference over F2P names?
5. If we have additional character slots unlocked on our APAC servers, will that unlock carry across during the merge? some of us have 16-20 characters.
6. Will the transfer cause downtime in character or account availability? If so, how long could we expect?
Eric could we please have an answer to these questions it would help settle down some of the resentment of the APAC community.
Four One Nine
Empire Squadron 419 Guild
Moving to The Harbinger if closures go a head Sign the Petition

chriscshunter
03.31.2013 , 07:12 PM | #4763
Quote: Originally Posted by DonkeyPlough View Post
He's not wrong about the ping. That's just like... your opinion man.

It is fascinating that because someone is able to tolerate the ping, all of those that do have issues with it, as they prefer their video games to be responsive, are considered to be incorrect.
I have played off of a connection on my cell phone while I was in the military where I had over 1000 ping at all times. That is where the game became hard to handle. But at 400 ping it doesn't cause any game breaking issues, for me atleast.
Quote: Originally Posted by Izabo View Post
He is not wrong about the ping. I live in the U.S. have no ping issues at all playing Dalborra, yet on Harbinger, a mere 15 miles from me, I have more ping than on an Oceanic server. Not being negative; just stating fact. If I live in the U.S., have zero issues with Shadowlands and Dalborra, why would I have issues with Harbinger ping? I'm sure you have an answer to this; you seem to have a response to everything. Enlighten me, oh wise, all-knowing one.
I'm not sure why your connection sucks connecting to a local server, but what I am talking about doesn't involve anything with the Harbinger server. I am not defending Harbinger, I am stating my gameplay when I have 400 ping as very much still playable.

All knowing one? I was stating the situation for me or rather an opinion, not stating that I am right and that my **** doesnt stink, but your a clearly an idiot in rage mode...not sure where I said anything offensive ot make you act like a little baby, but its time to grow up.

Nommaz
03.31.2013 , 07:25 PM | #4764
You are wrong about the ping. I just adjusted my connection to where I was at 400 ping and I had no issues at all. You are just being very negative. It's really not all that bad, but if you focus on it there is nothing else it can be.
Did you even bother to read my post?

Nommaz
03.31.2013 , 07:29 PM | #4765
I put in a ticket asking about character slots in the merge and whether we would be forced to delete some if we had them on both servers, and this is the response I got , I am guessing it wasn't even read...

Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us to express your concerns regarding the plans for our Asia-Pacific servers.

While the post from our Community Manager Eric Musco on the official forums at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=3178 gave some detail about our plans to transfer players to higher-population servers in the USA, and explained why we could not offer a timeline for these transfers at this point – we know that the solution proffered may not be to the liking of all players from the region.

We are aware that our Asia-Pacific players have been asking for a solution that will allow each of you to experience Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ to the fullest, with Warzones and Group Finder queues that pop more readily, and with planets full of other players to adventure alongside. When we asked you for your suggestions, we found that many players expressed a desire to move to servers in the US which already have higher populations as a result of the server consolidations, while others liked the idea of an Asia-Pacific “super-server”.

When considering what would ultimately work best for all players, we took a number of factors into account. From our experience with server consolidations, we learned that asking players to “give up” the RP, PvE, PvP or RP-PvP aspect of their server in exchange for higher population caused a great deal of upset – with many players feeling like they were unfairly being asked to sacrifice their chosen play-style in order to have others to play with. Merging all of the APAC servers into one would most likely lead to players who like their PvP or RP having to play on a pure PvE server, or PvE and RP players having to play on a PvP server, and we were not about to ask you all to do that.

An additional concern was that, even with the populations of three servers merged in to one, the number of concurrent users may not be as high as you would expect it to be, and you might not see a dramatic improvement in population throughout the game – and we would like you all to have players to play with at all levels and not just at the elder game stage.

We did also consider the impact of geographical distance on the play experience, and found that West Coast USA servers will offer a playable experience for players connecting from the APAC region. With higher populations and a server type that suits each individual player, we hope that any performance degradation will be mitigated by an improvement in the overall play experience.

We do accept that this solution is not ideal for everyone, and that in trying to provide a better experience for more players we may also be upsetting others in the process. We do honestly regret any disappointment caused by the solution we are offering, but we must restate that this is the solution we intend to implement.

Please keep an eye on the forums and swtor.com for more information on the timeline for these transfers.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. Please don’t hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions or encounter any issues.

Galactic Support is our Specialty....

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service

ChuangTzu
03.31.2013 , 08:15 PM | #4766
I have played off of a connection on my cell phone while I was in the military where I had over 1000 ping at all times. That is where the game became hard to handle. But at 400 ping it doesn't cause any game breaking issues, for me atleast.

I'm not sure why your connection sucks connecting to a local server, but what I am talking about doesn't involve anything with the Harbinger server. I am not defending Harbinger, I am stating my gameplay when I have 400 ping as very much still playable.

All knowing one? I was stating the situation for me or rather an opinion, not stating that I am right and that my **** doesnt stink, but your a clearly an idiot in rage mode...not sure where I said anything offensive ot make you act like a little baby, but its time to grow up.
It isn't just about ping, atleast for me. It's really a combination of population, ping and community. If we are forced to transfer we will loose ping and our community for the sake of a higher population. Now will a higher ping make the game unplayable? No but it is noticeable. But the worse loss will be that of the community.

A merge of our 3 servers is the best option as it gives us a bigger population while retaining our low ping and our community.

Edit: just a quick update. I do also have a lvl50 on the harbinger, so I know what it is like raiding on that server.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

Aebrynis
03.31.2013 , 08:33 PM | #4767
Quote: Originally Posted by Nommaz View Post
I put in a ticket asking about character slots in the merge and whether we would be forced to delete some if we had them on both servers, and this is the response I got , I am guessing it wasn't even read...

Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us to express your concerns regarding the plans for our Asia-Pacific servers.

While the post from our Community Manager Eric Musco...

<SNIP>

...this is the solution we intend to implement.

Please keep an eye on the forums and swtor.com for more information on the timeline for these transfers.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. Please don’t hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions or encounter any issues.

Galactic Support is our Specialty....

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service
This is the only response you'll get, I'm willing to bet. Standard boilerplate reply.

Still, it speaks volumes. I'm guessing that this is the only APAC-specific reply anyone will get.

OwenBrooks
03.31.2013 , 08:39 PM | #4768
Quote: Originally Posted by Nommaz View Post
The answer is no you won't have to delete any, If you do delete a toon afterwards though you will not be able to re-create a new one until you officially buy enough slots on the server to cover the actual number of toons.

So the server will show 18/12 for example on number of toons.

This answer I am basing on what occurred with the last server mergers, and should be no different.

DuckimusPrime
03.31.2013 , 08:41 PM | #4769
Quote: Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
It isn't just about ping, atleast for me. It's really a combination of population, ping and community. If we are forced to transfer we will loose ping and our community for the sake of a higher population. Now will a higher ping make the game unplayable? No but it is noticeable. But the worse loss will be that of the community.
I seemed to have connection issues with Gav Daragon last night. Had the game running at around 500-600ms ping and it was unplayable. And that was simply running around on Nar Shaddaa. This was also gameplay without having to deal with any interrupt mechanics and the need for decent timing.

I logged onto Bergren Colony and Harbringer and was getting pings around the 350-400 mark on Tython doing nothing. Thats pretty close to hitting an unplayable ping without even doing anything.

chriscshunter
03.31.2013 , 08:42 PM | #4770
Its the most obvious solution... if you combine the servers there is going to be people mad about that and switch to other servers anyway, thus recreating the same problem they are trying to fix. This is an ultimate fix, and no matter what, people are going to complain. Best just take it with a grain of salt, because it really doesn't matter what you do, this is the solution they see fit and personally I see it to be the best solution as well.

People complained about the population and this is the fix. If your going to be mad at anyone be mad at your fellow continental population.

As always, welcome to the West Coast!