Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bottcobco
03.28.2013 , 09:53 PM | #4611
Moving to a US server will not cause me to quit the game. It will however, cause me to quit paying a subscription. With a vastly increases latency I will no longer be able to compete properly in pvp (my main endgame hobby). Therefore, the only other real attraction to me in the game are the class stories. I can play those for free. I'm not naive enough to think my comments here will make a difference but if anyone from Bioware is reading this I just wanted you to know how the closure of the APAC servers will personally affect my gameplay and subscription status.

DuckimusPrime
03.28.2013 , 10:08 PM | #4612
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
You do know that a lot of Aussies play on NA servers today, and have for some time now.
Really? More evidence that they should've consolidated the APAC servers way back when they did it for everyone else. More vibrant, single APAC server back then, could've drawn back more Australian players and may have even resulted in more APAC players rolling on it when they signed up for F2P.

Quote:
Here's the interesting part for me as I have followed this thread..... Aussies are generally known to be good natured, resilient and pretty much fearless in the face of adversity. At least that is the way many people outside of Australia perceive you as a culture.
Thats us having to deal with being screwed over constantly. And now, we're just starting to get sick of it, instead of just sitting back and taking it.

SgtKatharn
03.28.2013 , 10:10 PM | #4613
Quote: Originally Posted by Elysiah View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by DuckimusPrime View Post
Announcement? Where? They've made no widely available announcement to all APAC players. Yet in less than 24 hours, already in excess of 400 people have signed a petition protesting against this decision. And they only know of it through word of mouth.

Just image how much that discontent will blow out once they actually inform most APAC players that their servers will going away.

An ea/bioware customer support person named Eric musco announced it in this very thread, search back. Or did you already see it and are just so blind by rage you don't want to accept it?
If it wasn't going ahead he wouldn't of made it known.

Petition isn't going to change this action bl for the people who like the servers now but I'm glad this is happening. Just my opinion.
But it should be on the Launcher and as a pop up on sign in so all players would know or at least a email to all players with charaters on the APAC servers to notify of the up coming change as not all players come on the Forums, by now more players would have heard about this due to people posting in general chat as well as game news sites ( I have personaly posted to a few about the news when it was first posted on the forums ). I'm in for the Dalbora protest and I also agree that anyone going to PAX or who live in Victoria should protest EA at PAX.
Four One Nine
Empire Squadron 419 Guild
Moving to The Harbinger if closures go a head Sign the Petition

DuckimusPrime
03.28.2013 , 10:14 PM | #4614
Quote: Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
The petition is now upto 655!
Unlike the rubbish that Jack keeps sprewing out. That is actually a fairly large number of signings protesting a decision that has only been spread by word of mouth. We're less than 3 days after a post was made on pg 250-odd in a thread General forum... and that many people are already showing their disappointment with EAs decision.

Just imagine how things will explode when they actually make an announcement to all of the player base. Is that why nothing has been sent out to APAC players? Since this post you've sent out another email advertising the upcoming expansion and encouraging people to pay for. But there is no mention that you plan on degrading their play experience soon afterwards.

This is disgusting bait and switch advertising, and it is illegal within the market that you are mainly doing this too.

Quote: Originally Posted by Elysiah View Post
An ea/bioware customer support person named Eric musco announced it in this very thread, search back. Or did you already see it and are just so blind by rage you don't want to accept it?
If it wasn't going ahead he wouldn't of made it known.
Forums are used by a minority of players. Sticking a post on pg 250 of a thread in General discussion is not an announcement to the entire APAC player base.

SgtKatharn
03.28.2013 , 10:20 PM | #4615
Quote: Originally Posted by Nommaz View Post
Well looks like we have 30 days either way...

EA may terminate access to any online or mobile products and/or EA Services (and/or any portion thereof) at any time by giving you notice of such termination within the time period specified when you joined the particular EA Service, or if no time period for notice of termination was specified, then within thirty (30) days of the date such notice is either (at EAs discretion) provided to you via email or is posted on the applicable product or EA Service or on http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates.

This EUALA may be modified by EA at any time. You can view the EUALA at any time by visiting www.swtor.com. We may notify you of modifications: (a) before you play the Game; and/or (b) via a specific notice on www.swtor.com (the "Website"). All modifications will take effect thirty (30) days after their announcement. In any event, you agree to check the Website and review this EUALA periodically to familiarize yourself with any modifications that may occur. If you do not agree with any future modifications to this EUALA, or are unable to continue to remain in compliance with the same, you must cease your use of the Software and of the Game. You may terminate this EUALA in accordance with Section 5. Your continued use of the Software and play of the Game after a modification of the EUALA will be deemed as your acceptance of any modified terms.
We may have more time as there is no offical anouncement on http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates or via the launcher (which is (a) ) or on www.swtor.com ( which is (b) ) Eric's anoucement in the forums doesn't conform to these conditions.
Four One Nine
Empire Squadron 419 Guild
Moving to The Harbinger if closures go a head Sign the Petition

ChuangTzu
03.28.2013 , 10:22 PM | #4616
Quote: Originally Posted by DuckimusPrime View Post
Unlike the rubbish that Jack keeps sprewing out. That is actually a fairly large number of signings protesting a decision that has only been spread by word of mouth. We're less than 3 days after a post was made on pg 250-odd in a thread General forum... and that many people are already showing their disappointment with EAs decision.

Just imagine how things will explode when they actually make an announcement to all of the player base. Is that why nothing has been sent out to APAC players? Since this post you've sent out another email advertising the upcoming expansion and encouraging people to pay for. But there is no mention that you plan on degrading their play experience soon afterwards.

This is disgusting bait and switch advertising, and it is illegal within the market that you are mainly doing this too.

Forums are used by a minority of players. Sticking a post on pg 250 of a thread in General discussion is not an announcement to the entire APAC player base.
668 now. ;-)
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

Nevarr
03.28.2013 , 10:30 PM | #4617
I play on the APAC servers from Japan. I've never had a ping under 250, usually around 300. I don't think the move is going to change that much.

darthnish
03.28.2013 , 10:47 PM | #4618
www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17Cn4wM9Tw i love the apac servers as muc has the other guy but im also ok with the move cause ican pvp whenever i want to.

DaftVaduhhh
03.28.2013 , 10:54 PM | #4619
Quote: Originally Posted by Nevarr View Post
I play on the APAC servers from Japan. I've never had a ping under 250, usually around 300. I don't think the move is going to change that much.
AFAIK, the submarine cable runs are via the west and east coasts of Australia, where for several parts of Asia, the best possible run would be via a northern section of coastline and running through the desert.

Obviously this isn't very cost effective for the general population of Australia, so you actually get a better cable run to the US in Japan. You'll probably see an improvement.
Daftvaduhh - 55 Shadow - GM of <Beyond Redemption> (The Harbinger)
La-femme - 55 Sage, Woklobster - 55 Guardian, Opfreely - 55 Sentinel
Drworm - 55 Commando, Rollface - 55 Vanguard, Leeloo'd - 55 Scoundrel, Rolling-deep - 55 Gunslinger

chris_milky
03.28.2013 , 11:04 PM | #4620
I really hope they don't go through with this. Yeah it would be awesome if more people were playing on Dalborra for example, but I would rather play with the population the server has now then transfer to a US server.