Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Alkemmi
03.28.2013 , 07:32 PM | #4601
In the effort to be fair in my comments :-
Will the game be UN-playable .
No you just stand to no chance of winning any competitive pvp , your activations will keep being late and because of the way skills are stacked then skills will keep being missed.
People not lag gimped like us will keep getting off extra activations. When this means stun locks then kiss your butt goodbye.

Low level pve content will be fine but high level lag inducing ops etc where getting off last second heals etc are so critical , well it ain't gonna be pretty.

And before the trolls start , I played harbinger from launch I have experienced 300+ ping standard with frequent spikes.

Super server was always our answer , close and save money was always theirs.

F2P for me I think, no more sub

Alkemmi
As the wise Secret Agent Oso say's 'It's all part of the plan.........., More or less " and yes I have 3 young kids

Mikla
03.28.2013 , 07:33 PM | #4602
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
You do know that a lot of Aussies play on NA servers today, and have for some time now.

Here's the interesting part for me as I have followed this thread..... Aussies are generally known to be good natured, resilient and pretty much fearless in the face of adversity. At least that is they way many people outside of Australia perceive you as a culture.

Yet the general tone of this thread has been often (and particularly since Bioware announced a decision) filled with people portraying uncertainty and doubt, displaying rage and hate, and generally playing a victim role. It's incongruant with the general perception of the Aussie people, so I personally tend to think that such outbursts are atypical of the Aussie playerbase, especially when I run across so many in game on NA-West servers, enjoying themselves and playing the game.

/2-cents.
I won't comment on the tone of the thread and merely relate my own in game experience and opinion based on that experience. I and many aussie friends played on NA servers we stuck it out for 5 months or more in some cases, but once the APAC servers came out and you played the game with a sub 100ms ping it became obvious how badly high latency was effecting game play. Eventually I stopped logging in to the NA servers because it was such a sub par experience. If you have never experienced sub 100ms ping there is every chance you don't realise how badly you are being affected by high latency so it does not surprise me that there are Aussies playing on NA servers now.

Virtually everyone who is playing or has played on the APAC servers who has experienced a sub 100ms ping will notice a severe degrading of their gameplay when they move to the NA servers. You won't notice it much as you level through regular questing, but once you start doing flash points, operations or pvp you will see the negative impact straight away.

Don't believe me, go try it for yourself, level a toon to lvl 10 or harbinger and jump into PvP and see if you notice any difference between it and Dalborra. For those in the US you can do the reverse. Create a toon on dalborra levle to 10 and try PvP. Shouldn't take you long with double xp this weekend.

soneil
03.28.2013 , 07:51 PM | #4603
Quote: Originally Posted by Knockerz View Post
You aussie players never had a real transfer. Yes, you were transferred to APAC servers when they first came out, but you all had the same chance of acquiring character and legacy names since they were new severs with no prior population.
That's not really true. The APAC servers had been going for a couple of months before anyone was allowed to transfer and they were all pretty full at the time, so character names were definately an isue.
Academy Exemplar - Gav Daragon
Republic 50s - Nefash, Tal-Hirron, Delin
Imperial 50s - Terrill, Rending, Vermeesa
Nefash's Pilot Training School - Space missions resource.

Andryah
03.28.2013 , 07:52 PM | #4604
Quote: Originally Posted by Mikla View Post
For those in the US you can do the reverse. Create a toon on dalborra levle to 10 and try PvP. Shouldn't take you long with double xp this weekend.
I in fact did this back in summer of 2012. To see what all the fuss was about ping. It was far from unplayable. It took an hour or two of play to adjust to.. but once adjusted, I personally do not see the issue.

Is less latency better? Absolutely! Is more latency a game breaker? To some yes, to others no. Opinions differ.

IF you only wish to play competitive PvP.... yeah... you probably are unhappy with ping over 100ms. Which kind of leaves Aussie players out of luck in general in the MMO market place doesn't it? For whatever reason, your corner of the larger APAC seems to suffer more latency to the US then just about every other part of APAC.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

soneil
03.28.2013 , 08:03 PM | #4605
Is less latency better? Absolutely! Is more latency a game breaker? To some yes, to others no. Opinions differ.
Personally I think higher latency is an annoyance. Not a game breaker. I've played on US servers plenty in both wow and this game. Low populations on the other hand are a game breaker. Which is why I and a lot of other people I know on our server are happy with this change is finally being made. If it had been doing sooner I'm sure a lot of people who quit in the meantime probably wouldn't have.
Academy Exemplar - Gav Daragon
Republic 50s - Nefash, Tal-Hirron, Delin
Imperial 50s - Terrill, Rending, Vermeesa
Nefash's Pilot Training School - Space missions resource.

SgtKatharn
03.28.2013 , 08:55 PM | #4606
Quote: Originally Posted by Tegual View Post
Since Bioware/EA claimed that they were improving my game-play experience i decided to log onto The Bastion, which is the server that my characters will be placed on since i am on Master D. Currently on Master D i get around 20-40 ping sitting on the fleet. A little more when doing raids and pvp but unless my internet is having problems i don't really go over 100.
Well on my new server, sitting on the fleet gives me 300 ping and being on planet gives me around 400 and it is not stable with the ping constantly jumping to over 1000. I would love Bioware/EA to tell me how this improves my game-play experience. I know from previous experience on Warriors of Shadow before the mergers pvp was horrible and people would randomly change positions and i gave up on pvp till i moved onto the APAC servers.
Please tell me how encouraging me not to participate in high end pvp/raiding improves my game-play experience when decisions must be made on the spot have a delay.
I guess in the end it really doesn't matter since if they close the servers i will not be playing this game anymore.
This is the reality of the APAC players moving to the NA servers, it means that no APAC player will be able to do Nightmare mode ops any more ( one second casts will be uninterupable ). There has been many posts by players from the Asian region that would like to/or have moved to the NA or EU servers due to the routing to the APAC servers I am happy for them that they will be able to get their legacys merged or not due to the forced trancefers ( why can't we choose where we go for this reason ) also there are some APAC players still trapped on NA servers because they missed the APAC transfer window and they would like to have transfered to them ( and most have unsubed or started new toons on the APAC servers ). I started playing on a NA server as a BETA tester and a CE owner and I leveled to 50 on Warriors of the Shadow, the game is more enjoyable on the APAC server as this game is designed around the reducing of cast times to make it harder, so having a low ping makes the game easier.
Four One Nine
Empire Squadron 419 Guild
Moving to The Harbinger if closures go a head Sign the Petition

Elysiah
03.28.2013 , 09:08 PM | #4607
Quote: Originally Posted by laz_AU View Post
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...em-into-1.html

647 signatures on the petition... that's a lot of subs and cartel coins
But still not enough that would make ea/bioware care. This decision would have been a long time in the making and im sure that a petition with such low numbers won't do anything. Sorry

jackdaley
03.28.2013 , 09:08 PM | #4608
Quote: Originally Posted by laz_AU View Post
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...em-into-1.html

647 signatures on the petition... that's a lot of subs and cartel coins
Compared to 1,999, 353 uhh not really accoriding to EAWARE

SleepyKing
03.28.2013 , 09:16 PM | #4609
You do know that a lot of Aussies play on NA servers today, and have for some time now.

Here's the interesting part for me as I have followed this thread..... Aussies are generally known to be good natured, resilient and pretty much fearless in the face of adversity. At least that is the way many people outside of Australia perceive you as a culture.

Yet the general tone of this thread has been often (and particularly since Bioware announced a decision) filled with people portraying uncertainty and doubt, displaying rage and hate, and generally playing a victim role. It's incongruant with the general perception of the Aussie people, so I personally tend to think that such outbursts are atypical of the Aussie playerbase, especially when I run across so many in game on NA-West servers, enjoying themselves and playing the game.
This thread is a polemic, an attempl to convince Bioware that it's making the wrong decision. That won't happen by being nice and shutting up about it. It's not a reflection of the character of the posters, only their goals.

To all the US players throwing in "suck it up, whiners," posts on this thread, I'll propose an alternate solution to APAC's alleged population problems. Move all the players from Harbinger over here. That will solve the population problem. If a server move and lower network performance is nothing to complain about, then the US players shouldn't have an issue, should they? Of course, if BioWare tried that, the US players would scream bloody murder - and rightly so. It sucks to be downgraded, and that's what's happening to APAC players.

ChuangTzu
03.28.2013 , 09:19 PM | #4610
The petition is now upto 655!
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu