Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MitchPB
03.28.2013 , 02:50 PM | #4571
Quote: Originally Posted by RaymondThomas View Post
Thanks for the heads up BW. My concerns with this merger are the reasons why I moved from The Harbinger in the first place....PVP and Flashpoints were nearly impossible due to latency. I live in New Zealand and have accepted that the internet here is not on par with USA or Aus. However, having a server located "near" has greatly increased the quality of play.

Since this merger is going to happen, perhaps BW could sweeten the deal...
  • Allowing us to keep our Character's names (I'm very attached to the names of my level 50's)
  • Allowing us to keep our Legacy names (I'm also very attached to my Legacy name)
  • A generous gift of Cartel Coins and/or Credits
  • A speical speeder or pet that will only be available to those who have been transfered

Yes, I can be bribed
While i sympathise with you (being a kiwi myself) that would be a bit unfair to the players already on The Harbinger i.e character names. Although some sort of compensation should be given to you guys.
<BOG> <Concept>

elitenz
03.28.2013 , 03:04 PM | #4572
Quote: Originally Posted by RaymondThomas View Post
Thanks for the heads up BW. My concerns with this merger are the reasons why I moved from The Harbinger in the first place....PVP and Flashpoints were nearly impossible due to latency. I live in New Zealand and have accepted that the internet here is not on par with USA or Aus. However, having a server located "near" has greatly increased the quality of play.

Since this merger is going to happen, perhaps BW could sweeten the deal...
  • Allowing us to keep our Character's names (I'm very attached to the names of my level 50's)
  • Allowing us to keep our Legacy names (I'm also very attached to my Legacy name)
  • A generous gift of Cartel Coins and/or Credits
  • A speical speeder or pet that will only be available to those who have been transfered

Yes, I can be bribed
I hope you don't drink lion red because with those requests it seems so lol, I agree it would be nice to keep legacy or player names but also a lot of other servers have had this same issue and they got nothing and asking for special treatment that's never going to happen.

So the only sweeten deal you will get is being able to ride and lurk around a nice and busy Imperial / Republic fleet

ChuangTzu
03.28.2013 , 03:32 PM | #4573
Nice, the petition is upto 639 sigs! Keep them coming.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

Korveenus
03.28.2013 , 04:27 PM | #4574
This point may have been brought up already, not sure, but its worth restating even if it has.

My guild had a meeting last night and the most pertinent point that came out of it all to me is that Americans are around 14hrs to 16hrs behind us. So basically when we are playing they will be sleeping, when we are sleeping they will be playing, merging with them is going to do little to help our population issues.

Ping seems to be the biggest concern with this type of merger, because pretty much all Aussie pings will triple. So two Questions i have for Bioware:
How will you deal with the Lag in PVE 8 & 16 man Operations?
How long do you think Aussie PVP players will last against US players? Keeping in mind the 20ms US pings will dominate the 180ms Aussies pings.

Way to go in offering the best playing experience..

Quote:
"We will give it a little time and if we do not see significant improvement, then we will move ahead with the solution that offers the best playing experience for the Oceanic community."

Jeff Hickman
Executive Producer
Did someone say World of Warcraft is looking good again?

Knockerz
03.28.2013 , 04:53 PM | #4575
Quote: Originally Posted by Korveenus View Post

WOW doesn't have localized aussie servers either so the problems you find here with ping will be the same. Thus, saying wow is looking good is a moot point as you will experience the same core problems. However, I do believe they have localized Brazilian servers in addition to the Euro and NA servers, but they don't have any aussie localized that's for sure.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

Knockerz
03.28.2013 , 05:03 PM | #4576
Quote: Originally Posted by Tarn_Sirun View Post
I am no longer amused, this is twice there has been transfers due to APAC and ZERO TIMES for anyone else. YOU BETTER LET EVERYONE HAVE THE ABILITY TO FREE TRANSFER BEFORE YOU START CHARGING US FOR IT!
You aussie players never had a real transfer. Yes, you were transferred to APAC servers when they first came out, but you all had the same chance of acquiring character and legacy names since they were new severs with no prior population. Thus, when the APAC servers were first open a lot of aussie players reserved their character names in advance just like when the game first launched. However, every one on the current NA servers had to go through two mergers. The first was the voluntary wave of transfer or merge followed by the wave of forced transfers. Plus, there was that super server merging, which was the second merge. In both cases many players lost their character names. Personally, I don't think you aussies should get any dips on any names like what happen to many players the first round of server merging.

You also forgot that all you voluntary transferred to new and unpopulated APAC severs. We NA and European players didn't have that luxury the first or second wave of server merging. Thus, I don't think you aussie players should get any thing special from this merging nor should the second round of rules apply since you aussie players are for the first time being transferred to an existing server and their is the fact you all voluntary transferred to the aussie servers. Every who transferred to the APAC servers should have know that there was always a possibility that APAC servers would be shutdown if the population wasn't high enough. It was a risk you all took when you transferred voluntary.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

Korveenus
03.28.2013 , 05:16 PM | #4577
This point may have been brought up already, not sure, but its worth restating even if it has.

My guild had a meeting last night and the most pertinent point that came out of it all to me is that Americans are around 14hrs to 16hrs behind us. So basically when we are playing they will be sleeping, when we are sleeping they will be playing, merging with them is going to do little to help our population issues.

Ping seems to be the biggest concern with this type of merger, because pretty much all Aussie pings will triple. So two Questions i have for Bioware:
How will you deal with the Lag in PVE 8 & 16 man Operations?
How long do you think Aussie PVP players will last against US players? Keeping in mind the 20ms US pings will dominate the 180ms Aussies pings.

Way to go in offering the best playing experience..

Quote: Originally Posted by Knockerz View Post
WOW doesn't have localized aussie servers either so the problems you find here with ping will be the same. Thus, saying wow is looking good is a moot point as you will experience the same core problems. However, I do believe they have localized Brazilian servers in addition to the Euro and NA servers, but they don't have any aussie localized that's for sure.
Yeah sorry, I shouldn't even have mentioned World of Warcraft!! What was I thinking

Ren_simp
03.28.2013 , 05:19 PM | #4578
Ive noticed a growing suggestion that every Apac player should transfer to harbinger now that we have choice of destination I like this idea and hope apac players seriously consider this option we will have a predominantly Apac population in our prime time and im looking forward to playing against players from Dalborra and Master Dar Nala
I haven't mentioned gav daragon purely because I have no toons on that server but hope that they too get onboard with this idea
Republic Diehard

ChuangTzu
03.28.2013 , 05:20 PM | #4579
Quote: Originally Posted by Knockerz View Post
You aussie players never had a real transfer. Yes, you were transferred to APAC servers when they first came out, but you all had the same chance of acquiring character and legacy names since they were new severs with no prior population. Thus, when the APAC servers were first open a lot of aussie players reserved their character names in advance just like when the game first launched. However, every one on the current NA servers had to go through two mergers. The first was the voluntary wave of transfer or merge followed by the wave of forced transfers. Plus, there was that super server merging, which was the second merge. In both cases many players lost their character names. Personally, I don't think you aussies should get any dips on any names like what happen to many players the first round of server merging.

You also forgot that all you voluntary transferred to new and unpopulated APAC severs. We NA and European players didn't have that luxury the first or second wave of server merging. Thus, I don't think you aussie players should get any thing special from this merging nor should the second round of rules apply since you aussie players are for the first time being transferred to an existing server and their is the fact you all voluntary transferred to the aussie servers. Every who transferred to the APAC servers should have know that there was always a possibility that APAC servers would be shutdown if the population wasn't high enough. It was a risk you all took when you transferred voluntary.
You do realise that ppl already on the US servers may loose their names again when oceanic players are forced on those servers!
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

BennyKrak
03.28.2013 , 05:32 PM | #4580
I started out playing this game on The Jekk'Jekk Tarr server in Early Game Access, pre-launch.
On that server up until the Oceanic ones became available, there was only THREE PvP guilds worthy of mention:
- Midian
- Genesis
- Epoch

Midian and Epoch were both Oceanic guilds and both DOMINATED their competition (Midian kept their original name when they moved to Master Dar'Narla, Epoch became MVP - now Samurai Pizza Cats on Dalborra). Genesis (as far as I know) were a US based guild. They were ok at PvP, but I remember three-capping them a few times in a full PUG team, so you know, everyone has their off days I guess.

My point is, Oceanic PvPers have risen above their US counterparts before in this game, and I don't doubt it will happen again.
Krackers || Kozlovsky
The Krackers Legacy
Your Companion