Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

iheartnyc
03.27.2013 , 01:46 AM | #4061
Quote: Originally Posted by Nommaz View Post
Then as far as I and a few others here who will have pings of over 300ms will no doubt agree you have no rights to tell us how playable or unplayable or game is,

as I said before the actual experience is far different from the theory.
You cannot make comment until you experience this game with that lag on a daily basis and obviously lag spikes thrown in for good measure.

If you now say you have I call BS
And you have no right to tell others that the game will be unplayable for them.

Yes, I'm blessed with good internet service and a good router and computer. But then I've taken the time to optimize my network connectivity for the US servers. Some APAC players will literally be SOL and that really sucks. But bear in mind, others will not be so badly affected and can continue to enjoy the game. All I ask is that people TRY IT OUT for themselves, instead of listening to the obviously mad and biased people who claim that it will be unplayable for all.

Sethile
03.27.2013 , 01:46 AM | #4062
I have left two other MMOs simply because the ping made my playing either uncompetitive (high end raiding or PvP) or very unenjoyable (rubber banding and lag spikes at critical times).

One of the best things SWTOR had going for it was the very low ping rates with it's oceanic servers.

I would 100% prefer low ping times over faster queue pops for WZs or OPS that were no where near as enjoyable.

I can guarantee that unsubscribing from the game is now a very high consideration if I was to lose the quality of gaming that I have been experiencing.

To be honest, the low ping rates have made the other non-polished elements of the game palatable (e.g. poor quality customer service, very poor customer response ticket times, glitches, bugs, stuck locations, lack of dual spec, etc etc...)

Please reconsider the decision to move us all to the US.

At very least, please don't tell us that it is for our best interest, but rather, just admit that it's to cut costs and that we will have to bear the burden.

I have enjoyed my time in SWTOR. Its a shame that its going to end this way.

Cheers

Elysiah
03.27.2013 , 01:50 AM | #4063
Quote: Originally Posted by KaosBlader View Post
Lol good one dude. You do know that BW/EA is a business and is using us to make money? They only ever care about the players because we are their income. In this case, we're obviously a minority and not providing enough income to prevent shutting us down.
^ Sad but true.

PseudoScience
03.27.2013 , 01:50 AM | #4064
Quote: Originally Posted by Sethile View Post
One of the best things SWTOR had going for it was the very low ping rates with it's oceanic servers.
This!!!

SWTOR had one competitive advantage in our region when compared with other MMOs - localised servers. The lack of content has been overlooked by some players in the APAC community because the performance is just really great to PvP and PvE competitively. Now that is gone a lot of players are leaving and those who cared about population have already left months ago to join the US or other games.

A few miniorities (mainly a small population of subs living in Asia) like the idea of transferring because they connect directly with the US and not Australia. I say wait for paid transfers and send your toons off then. You knew you ping/latency issues before you signed up.

You're alienating a subsection of your customers, firstly by ignoring us for months and secondly annoying the remainder who stuck it out with the game.
APAC

Nommaz
03.27.2013 , 01:53 AM | #4065
Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
Yes, I'm blessed with good internet service and a good router and computer. But then I've taken the time to optimize my network connectivity for the US servers. Some APAC players will literally be SOL and that really sucks. But bear in mind, others will not be so badly affected and can continue to enjoy the game. All I ask is that people TRY IT OUT for themselves, instead of listening to the obviously mad and biased people who claim that it will be unplayable for all.
And there it is...
You who have not had the experience are trying to tell us that have lived though it we are wrong.

Oh and BTW I am angry at the decision and lack of consultation, I don't intend to quit as yet, and nor do I encourage others to.

But having actually been there at start your posts rubbed me up the wrong way as I have experienced what you were trying to say doesn't happen.

Yubided
03.27.2013 , 01:54 AM | #4066
Sorry Eric, I'm not buying your justification at all.

It was overwhelmingly clear that the APAC community wanted to merge into one APAC server. I guess I wouldn't be this bitter about this decision if you had just dumped it on us but you asked for our input and pursued one of the least popular options. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a cost savings exercise as some have suggested.

I would have thought EA would want to avoid more negative sentiment considering the debacle that was the Sim City 2013 release but hey; you've collectively managed to consistently astound the gaming community with your hubris and lack of accountability for the crap you peddle.

I truly hope that the gaming community starts voting with their wallets and leaves you high and dry. I'm so glad I never bought into the cartel coin market and didn't pre-order the xpac - you didn't get one cent more from me than was absolutely necessary to play.

To Bioware. Get out if you can. This association with EA has done nothing but sully your reputation as a quality games developer.

I too will not be purchasing another EA title in the foreseeable future, if ever again, and will be doing my best to persuade friends and relatives to do the same.

Goodbye.

Icykill_
03.27.2013 , 01:55 AM | #4067
I care because I have 6 toons (some BiS with very high valor) trapped on MDN

Also, I'm not American nor do I live in the Western Hemisphere of planet Earth.

Also, my conclusion is not what you stated. I stated that ping = distance to server and that lag spikes/disconnects will be attributable to your ISP and its ability to route you to the server.
Mate, you just don't get it as you obviously don't live in Australia and understand how our internet infrastructure is set up... we had a Telco Monopoly for many years... the result was when that changed, the "Telco" held onto the infrastructure... this has only recently been separated from them... unfortunately basically NEARLY ALL ISP's here need to use their "gate way" out of the country... so you can't blame the ISP... I get awesome connection here
Yes you could blame the connection from this country to the US... BUT THAT IS THE BLOODY POINT OF WHY WE ARE ALL UPSET THAT THE APAC SERVERS ARE BEING MERGED OVER TO NORTH AMERICA
AND THIS IS A DISCUSSION FOR APAC PEOPLE... so if you have characters on our servers... you were stupid to roll them here anyway...

oakamp
03.27.2013 , 01:57 AM | #4068
Quote: Originally Posted by Sethile View Post
I have left two other MMOs simply because the ping made my playing either uncompetitive (high end raiding or PvP) or very unenjoyable (rubber banding and lag spikes at critical times).
liar,
high end raiding is completely fine with 200 up ping,
the really unplayable thing is to get 400 up ping in APAC servers,
don't merge, let player to get a freewill transfer is a better solution, eric.
English is not my first language, still working on it.

river_of_Gem
03.27.2013 , 01:58 AM | #4069
e. All I ask is that people TRY IT OUT for themselves, instead of listening to the obviously mad and biased people who claim that it will be unplayable for all.
I don't think anyone unsub because "other said so".

People unsub because they already go try out in Harbinger and it's lag and spike for them.

People unsub because they already play on 200-300ms ping before and they don't want that again.

People unsub because EAware treated them like 2nd class citizen, ignore them for months and come up with a solution that almost nobody want.

Mikla
03.27.2013 , 02:01 AM | #4070
Quote: Originally Posted by Elysiah View Post
I find the US pvp easily playable. Finished near the top. hardly noticed any lag (certainly wasnt gamebreaking.)
(and no before you all ask, i am not american lol.)
I have played on West Coast servers and have played on Dalborra. I have a ping of about 30ms on Dalborra and having just checked Harbinger it varies from about 200ms to 320ms. Play experience is passable at 200 but unsatisfactory for Operations or PvP at 320.

My play experience and that of my guild mates will be seriously degraded by going to a west coast server. We tried it previously and came from there when APAC servers launched because of the vastly improved gaming experience. Now Bioware want to send us back.

I PvP regularly on Dalborra and the population has been fine since F2P and queue times have been quite acceptable. If it's a choice be increased queue time or increased lag I chose the queue. I'd rather wait a bit longer for PvP than get into an unplayable PvP match more quickly.

Bioware also seem to have forgotten that APAC players are online on west coast servers during the graveyard shift . Based on my quick peak on all 4 servers (Harbinger + APAC). Peaktime Populations on an APAC merged super server would be comparable to those of late night west coast servers. I expect the APAC numbers will also increase once expansion hits and would likely increase further if the APAC servers were merged and if free transfers from any server to APAC were made avaialble.

Bioware please rethink this decision. A forced west coast server merge for me is a service downgrade that would likley force me out of the game. I would definitely cancel my subscription.