Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nommaz
03.27.2013 , 12:28 AM | #4011
Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
Ping is the response time of the server dude.

In other words, the amount of time it takes for a packet to make a ROUND TRIP from your computer to the server and pack.
And that negates my statement how, a round trip is for one action not two re-read it

Jonnara
03.27.2013 , 12:29 AM | #4012
Quote: Originally Posted by nokizaru View Post
lol @ "2 million". This game doesn't even have half that amount.
That was taken out of a quote from Bioware stating since free to play launched they have had 2mil increase in players to the game, was even talked about on latest Game Beaker TV show 'The Republic".
Proud Member of the Master Dead'Nada Server

iheartnyc
03.27.2013 , 12:29 AM | #4013
Quote: Originally Posted by Sydexlic View Post
Actually, 220ms is one way travel times. The server sends out something is happening, .22 of a second later you receive this data and your client presents whatever cue you need to respond to. .3s later, the average human reaction time kicks in. You respond and then another .22 of a second later, the server gets the response and applies the action to the simulation. From the event happening on the server, until the server gets your response is much much longer than .22s, it's in fact .22 + .3 + .22 = 0.74s. Yes, this kid doesn't understand SI units, but still, 3/4 of a second from a 220ms ping, especially responding to a 1s cast time, is going to remove almost all room for error.
Ping is actually a measurement of a ROUND TRIP travel time. Doubling the ping number is just wrong.

Ping = total time for a packet to be sent to server-side and for server to respond and update client-side.

Thornsbane
03.27.2013 , 12:30 AM | #4014
0.22 seconds. A US player will have an advantage over you of 0.18 to 0.12 seconds. That's not that bad.
Read the rest of the post.

darthnish
03.27.2013 , 12:30 AM | #4015
ah so excited it was hinted to me that this might be happening next week

iheartnyc
03.27.2013 , 12:31 AM | #4016
Quote: Originally Posted by Nommaz View Post
And that negates my statement how, a round trip is for one action not two re-read it
Let's do this in steps:

1) Droid is standing still -> time elapsed = 0.0 seconds
2) Client-side (player) activates force-lightning -> packet gets sent to server-side instructing server to update game-state
3) Server-side receives packet, updates game state and returns updated game-state to client-side
4) Busted droid appears on your screen

Time it takes to complete steps 1-4 = "ping".

river_of_Gem
03.27.2013 , 12:32 AM | #4017
Quote: Originally Posted by -IceHawk- View Post
Honestly?
My IQ is 150, I am the first graduate to earn an MA from my institution in the last decade with a perfect 4.0, have numerous institutional-level award winning pieces of research, literally earned every single academic honor offered within my department and university, and have earned a fully funded ride to finish out my Doctorate while I work on publishing independent research.

So, I would infer that I am slightly above the curve of "stupid."

Thanks for asking though, but, this is relevant to the discussion how?
I remember there are a guy babling about this IQ score before on this forum then got his logic handed to his ***, is that you ?

Don't you know how pointless it is to brag about your IQ on the INTERNET ?

You are NOT AFFECTED by this merge. If it's affect you by a tiny bit you will be the first one to cry

You try to say it's ok if WHOLE COMMUNITY got screwed ? And is it their fault ?

I played on US server and i have good ping. But before when i still at my country i used to endure 400-500ms ping in WoW so i can underestand how hard it is for pvp ( interupt, backstab etc ) especially when you are used with 40-50ms.

I can't understand this decision and really sympathize with the APAC community. In this merge you lost 1/your name 2/your ping ( big deal on a MMO ) and according to EAWARE you gain bigger population, but since there are big different between the time zone and big amount of APAC people going to unsub i don't think the "bigger population" reason is valid.

Quote: Originally Posted by -IceHawk- View Post
Thanks for asking though, but, this is relevant to the discussion how?
Because you sound STUPID and i don't think anyone want to argue with STUPID. That's how mister 150-IQ- ON-DA-INTERNET-!!!11!!1

Nommaz
03.27.2013 , 12:32 AM | #4018
0.22 seconds. A US player will have an advantage over you of 0.18 to 0.12 seconds. That's not that bad.
Your math is flawed
Action.22
Reaction .22 approximately
Actual action in game .22
total .66

US
action .03
reaction .22
Actual action in game 0.3
total 0.28

How is that not bad?

river_of_Gem
03.27.2013 , 12:33 AM | #4019
Your math is flawed
Action.22
total .66

US
action .03
reaction .22
total 0.28

How is that not bad?
And don't forget to account in some spike here and there

iheartnyc
03.27.2013 , 12:34 AM | #4020
Your math is flawed
Action.22
total .66

US
action .03
reaction .22
total 0.28

How is that not bad?
Lol read my other responses.

Ping = round trip response time of a server. In other words, time it takes for a packet to be sent to server, server to update game state, and return game state to client-side. From my other post:

Let's do this in steps:

1) Droid is standing still -> time elapsed = 0.0 seconds
2) Client-side (player) activates force-lightning -> packet gets sent to server-side instructing server to update game-state
3) Server-side receives packet, updates game state and returns updated game-state to client-side
4) Busted droid appears on your screen

Time it takes to complete steps 1-4 = "ping".

That's why they call it "ping" back from the old submarine days when sonar used to "ping" underwater objects which would reflect sound waves emitted underwater back to the submarine and the time elapsed woudl be used to calculate distance. In other words, the "round trip" aspect is fundamental to very idea of ping.