Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jackdaley's Avatar


jackdaley
03.26.2013 , 09:30 PM | #3891
Quote: Originally Posted by aVmuse View Post
I see those numbers regularly on dalborra and I play on dalborra, and its better anecdotal evidence then crap you have come with.
Very Doubtful...

But again this whole thread/arguement is a invalid anyway because we're finally getting moved to Servers with A HEALTHY POPULATION!

Bloodpuddle's Avatar


Bloodpuddle
03.26.2013 , 09:30 PM | #3892
I completely sympathize. As someone who plays on the NA servers, I'm finding myself less inclined to play anymore, because the populations in all areas are so thick. Have to wait for mobs and items to respawn.

But here's a little secret: 499,999.

If membership numbers fall below that, the game gets scrubbed.

Speak with your wallet.

-IceHawk-'s Avatar


-IceHawk-
03.26.2013 , 09:33 PM | #3893
Quote: Originally Posted by DaftVaduhhh View Post
Brand image isn't a factor? Medium and long term profit projections in an MMO aren't a factor?
Electronic Arts has one of the worst brand-images in the entirety of the gaming community, in fact I have difficulty thinking of another company that is as equally reviled by its own customers as EA.

And to put it bluntly; why would EA care about brand image in a marketplace they have just left?

The APAC decision will have little to no bearing on its NA or European marketplaces.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaftVaduhhh
Btw, feel free to actually engage in a real discussion over here, where it currently looks like you left with your tail between your legs.
Are you referring to the post in which you referred to EA as a failing company and described the lack of content as indicative of a refusal on EA's part to go further into investment for development?

Yeah, I felt you fundamentally described the financial fear of EA investors to convince them not to continue low-ROI investment sufficiently enough that I need not add to it.

I mean, you do realize that arguing EA is a failing company that just put itself through a financial panic over a failing AAA title that was not living up to expectations of ROI is actually a logical extension of the reasoning behind closing low ROI-marketplaces like APAC...

You fundamentally agreed with me in a poor attempt to invalidate my argument, so I let it stand.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaftVaduhhh
And to further examine some of your other arguments:

What is the opportunity cost of continuing to use some (read: required for said 'mega' server) of the infrastructure in place?
What is the alternative use of the infrastructure, given it is likely the property of EA Australia (and housed in their office/server space)?
What are the projections for this game overall in the next 6 months, given the paltry investment that has occurred in it since 12 months ago when it was deemed a failure by EA, 4 months after launch?
What were the population statistics for AU players 12 months ago? What were they 9 months ago and what were they 6 months ago?
Why do EA and BW feel people left the game?
What do EA and BW believe to be the long-term strategy for this game, with the F2P model in mind?
All very good questions I would assume EA has taken into consideration.
And considering that after all of these concerns, and the obvious consequences this move would have on the APAC subscription base, that EA is still shutting down the servers and leaving the marketplace should tell you all you need to know about the in-house answers...


Quote: Originally Posted by DaftVaduhhh
The last few questions are more or less rhetorical, given how much the proverbial pooch has been screwed. Get back to me when you have real answers that show not only an understanding of the basic (alleged) financials, but of solid business, planning and brand management skills. Until then, kindly **** off with your paltry analysis.
So in short, your argument is that EA has badly mismanaged its own financial planning, failed to properly invest in the APAC marketplace, and despite the obvious issues with the tact they have chosen have decided this makes internal (ie: financial) sense for the company as it clearly is not prioritizing the best interests of the APAC players themselves.

Yeah, you totally disagree with me and disproved my analysis.

Good work.

aVmuse's Avatar


aVmuse
03.26.2013 , 09:34 PM | #3894
Quote: Originally Posted by jackdaley View Post
Very Doubtful...

But again this whole thread/arguement is a invalid anyway because we're finally getting moved to Servers with A HEALTHY POPULATION!
Dalborra is healthy, just not as big as harbinger.

jackdaley's Avatar


jackdaley
03.26.2013 , 09:34 PM | #3895
Quote: Originally Posted by Bloodpuddle View Post
I completely sympathize. As someone who plays on the NA servers, I'm finding myself less inclined to play anymore, because the populations in all areas are so thick. Have to wait for mobs and items to respawn.

But here's a little secret: 499,999.

If membership numbers fall below that, the game gets scrubbed.

Speak with your wallet.
Uh yeah there's something called the Cartel Market that makes them more money than subs ever will. GG

-IceHawk-'s Avatar


-IceHawk-
03.26.2013 , 09:34 PM | #3896
Quote: Originally Posted by jackdaley View Post
Very Doubtful...

But again this whole thread/arguement is a invalid anyway because we're finally getting moved to Servers with A HEALTHY POPULATION!
Apparently APAC has had said population this entire time.

Not so sure what all those APAC threads were about now...

jackdaley's Avatar


jackdaley
03.26.2013 , 09:35 PM | #3897
Quote: Originally Posted by aVmuse View Post
Dalborra is healthy, just not as big as harbinger.
And now the Harbinger is going to be even bigger

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
03.26.2013 , 09:37 PM | #3898
Quote: Originally Posted by SomeYeti View Post
i aint no god darn yank, im an AUSSIE mate
and yeah its my only lvl50, im slight addicted to making alts

dont know why yous are all sooking bout the ping, i ping around 170 and are able to play fine
though i dont pvp though

and theres heaps of people to play with all day/night long
Sorry if you really are an Aussie...
BUT... you said it... YOU DON'T PLAY PVP... so we are not "sooking"... come back when you know how to high lvl PVP and tell us we are sooking... because at the moment you have no idea what you are talking about
So how can you say wether a PING of 170 is acceptable to those who play PVP...
Also I prefer not to play on American servers... I did with WoW when it was released and the Trolls there are magnified by 100 compared to how Aussies or NZ's act... I couldn't wait to get off the American server onto the Australian one

-IceHawk-'s Avatar


-IceHawk-
03.26.2013 , 09:38 PM | #3899
Quote: Originally Posted by jackdaley View Post
And now the Harbinger is going to be even bigger
It is almost like EA is attempting to localize its entire player base on either NA or European servers...

...now why would a company that is not experiencing high-level officer turn-over in the aftermath of an investor panic over a failing multi-million dollar venture want to do that?

Impossible even to guess, really.

PseudoScience's Avatar


PseudoScience
03.26.2013 , 09:38 PM | #3900
Quote: Originally Posted by -IceHawk- View Post
This would tend to be my argument; EA seriously mishandled the expansion into this marketplace, likely failed to achieve sustainable and significant enough ROI to rationalize continued investment in personnel, benefits, utilities, maintenance, et al, and are now retreating from the marketplace in an effort to cut their losses.
IceHawk you are trying to bring "rationale" to a raw and emotional argument right now, what kind of sense of entitlement and purpose do you feel by agitating and already disheartened community? Your assumptions that APAC players should of seen this coming and should get over it because that's just what corporations do still doesn't make it right....how about you show some compassion and let people vent?

Another issue:
The players who are downplaying the latency/ping issue clearly don't PvP or PvE to any serious extent. There is a major difference in the performance and quality of the game on the NA server than on the APAC servers. Ability activation, response time and glittery performance are a common occurrence. This makes us subpar at the game because an equally skilled player in PvP can react better, same with a PvE player so the quality of our gaming experience is going to drop. That's not to mention players who aren't on the east coast whose pings will go through the roof.

Those of us on the Harbinger or swiftsure already know that it felt like Christmas when we got placed into APAC servers and our character was responding the way it should! /tear
APAC