Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Knine's Avatar


Knine
03.26.2013 , 07:53 AM | #3731
FAIR DINKUM!!!!!! Sub cancelled. Ping was the only reason I played. What a wast of money and time I sunk into this game. Will never buy any of there products again.
Hard not to rant but F me if this is not the dumbest idea since ALP cut Rud for the Red head. Bad move bad move.

liaison's Avatar


liaison
03.26.2013 , 07:53 AM | #3732
Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtyshadow View Post
There solution to population is to dramatically increase latency and lag for Australian/Oceanic players...

The first ever complaint about Online gaming is LAG
the most common complaint is LAG
and the most common excuse by players for failing to perform in a raid or pvp is LAG.

LAG is so bad, we call it a Monster
an American plays with 200ms latency and they scream lag...
an Australian playes with 200ms latency and we call that normal...
then they gave us a local server and we got 30ms latency and all was great...
... they take that away from us, Im not going back to 200ms for a game that wont justify the reason beyond that weak *** excuse.

There solution to a minor inconveniance of population... is to supply us, the players with the ONE THING WE DONT WANT

LAG!!!

Their solution has nothing to do with the Public Relation dribble they spouted, its the financial cost cutting they are performing and the weak excuse they can attach to it. If they were serious about Oceanic gaming, they would merge the 3 servers into one and start a marketing/advertising/media campaign to get more players.... more customers are always better than less customers.... and this move, obviously will produce less customers.
This ^

Also I would like to point out I have never, in Australia, seen one piece of advertisement for this game ever! You know that saying you need to send money to make money, I swear to god, I have no idea how you made it as a company EA, really...

liaison's Avatar


liaison
03.26.2013 , 07:54 AM | #3733
Quote: Originally Posted by Knine View Post
FAIR DINKUM!!!!!! Sub cancelled. Ping was the only reason I played. What a wast of money and time I sunk into this game. Will never buy any of there products again.
Hard not to rant but F me if this is not the dumbest idea since ALP cut Rud for the Red head. Bad move bad move.
This ^

And what the **** where the ALP thinking

Dirtyshadow's Avatar


Dirtyshadow
03.26.2013 , 08:02 AM | #3734
Quote: Originally Posted by Hybrid_ View Post
/Unsubbed

Anyone got a count on how many people are unsubbing yet?
No but a fair assumption is All of Them! Anyone who hasnt unsubbed yet, will either
a) Hasnt heard about this yet ?
b) Waiting to find out what their fellow friends think ?
c) Hoping EA reverses their decision ? or waiting to know a bit more ?
d) Will unsub on Day 1 this goes through ?

Anyone left over is going to be suffering from Game Depression with the transfer, the lost of many of their friends and the break up of their guilds, the lose of regular raiders/skilled pvpers (especially if you lose too many tanks/heals)... anyone dedicated to sticking it around is only going to start feeling worse when their pvp and pve start to suffer due to high latency and lag spikes. Failing to form groups due to numbers or passing bosses/betting pvp groups due to latency will drive players crazy.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Makes a multi-million dollar game and forgets to advertise it in the Australia, the countries they actually built a server for ??? Start marketing the game, viral ads, full page newspaper ads, media circus. Thats population control... new customers.

Punchy's Avatar


Punchy
03.26.2013 , 08:14 AM | #3735
Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtyshadow View Post
No but a fair assumption is All of Them! Anyone who hasnt unsubbed yet, will either
a) Hasnt heard about this yet ?
b) Waiting to find out what their fellow friends think ?
c) Hoping EA reverses their decision ? or waiting to know a bit more ?
d) Will unsub on Day 1 this goes through ?

Anyone left over is going to be suffering from Game Depression with the transfer, the lost of many of their friends and the break up of their guilds, the lose of regular raiders/skilled pvpers (especially if you lose too many tanks/heals)... anyone dedicated to sticking it around is only going to start feeling worse when their pvp and pve start to suffer due to high latency and lag spikes.
I disagree. Not all of us are going to quit. Most of the guild that I run will remain after the transfers and give it a go. After all, progression PvE might be a bit more challenging if you throw in another ~150ms. Whilst I have lost one of my closest friends due to this announcement, I'll still stick around for a time.

You can raid. Quite fine. At 180-200ms. It is by no stretch of the imagination impossible. A few weeks ago, I tanked NiM EC on a mobile broadband stick where I was experiencing ~300ms with rather frequent timeouts of ~8 seconds. It wasn't perfect (due to said timeouts), but it was achievable and overall an enjoyable run.

Now. Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the transfers. I would *much* rather see an APAC superserver. But it will take more than a migration to the Harbinger to kill this game for me. And it certainly won't kill Oceanic PvE progression. You might just have to recruit a few late-night American players to fill the gaps.
Where's my taunt?

Hatonastick's Avatar


Hatonastick
03.26.2013 , 08:19 AM | #3736
Well I'm another subscribing Aussie player who will be leaving when this happens and I've been playing since the US release. I know it will mean bugger all to those in charge but this is unacceptable. You couldn't have given the Oceanic group a bigger slap in the face when all we really needed was one main server. In fact I'm so annoyed (it really hasn't been a good day) I'm wishing I hadn't already had an extra month processed on my credit card as I'd be quitting now. I don't normally do this whole melodramatic thing and normally I'm preaching calm, but for me this is finally the last straw. It has been repeatedly demonstrated time and time again that this company does not understand how to handle its community nor does it seem to listen (mind you with EA involved can I say I'm surprised?). In any case it has been obvious for a while that the focus has shifted away from the players and what they'd like to see (some major bug fixing wouldn't go astray) towards the online store. In fact as far as I can see about 80% of patches, additions etc. seem to be shop focused. I've seen this happen on subscription MMO's before when the panic sets in because subscriptions are down, money is getting tight and so they are feel as if they are being forced to a F2P model. All well and good but when suddenly the online store starts making money that they weren't getting from subscriptions it becomes the main focus and other things that should be the focus suddenly become secondary. However I'm digressing a lot here... My point is this is the last in a long, long, long line of frustrations I've had with this MMO since it was released in what was (lets face it) a pretty shoddy beta-like state and while I'm pretty undemanding when it comes to these games generally, I have no intention in hanging around to watch my 40ms ping turn into 300ms returning me to the same poor online experience I was getting back when I still played on Harbinger. Iím also not entirely happy about trying to find names for my 13 characters when they are moved to the US (which Iím sure will be pretty full up thanks to the antiquated MUD-like naming system SWTOR decided to go with as opposed to something a little more modern like the system used by Champions Online). Sure if the Oceanic servers had been merged Iíd have been in the same boat (possibly) but to keep the low latency I might have put up with it. I think Iíll leave it there as to paraphrase Mr. Furious: Rage... Subsiding... Iíll just leave you with one final thought: I sure as heck hope that if you guys make the mistake of creating another MMO, you donít stuff it up quite so badly as you did with this one. Take care and Toodle Pip. If anyone wants my gear it will be in the trash compactor, along with my subscription.
This space for rent.

Paelo's Avatar


Paelo
03.26.2013 , 08:20 AM | #3737
Anyone else get the feeling that the "think tank" down at EA/Bioware works a little like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY
I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally

Toxicsox's Avatar


Toxicsox
03.26.2013 , 08:22 AM | #3738
Quote: Originally Posted by Paelo View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that the "think tank" down at EA/Bioware works a little like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY
yes, yes i do
Toknchik Legacy

DuckimusPrime's Avatar


DuckimusPrime
03.26.2013 , 08:34 AM | #3739
Quote: Originally Posted by Apeth View Post
the voice of reason right here, I hope you APAC guys read this.
Not even close to a voice of reason. The voice of reason would be EA representatives coming on here and apologising to APAC players. They sat on their collective arses for well over 6 months after first being informed of the population issue occurring on APAC servers. And during these months of doing nothing but posting pointless platitudes on these forums, the population continued to dwindle.

We'll wait and see if Free2Play reinvigorates the servers they said. Well it did, in the US, but it didn't here. You wanna know why? Because they consolidated the servers in the US, leading to servers that were already well populated and thriving. Thus F2P players signing up were happy to join the busy servers.

Meanwhile, here on the APAC servers, they don't even bother advertising the game. And new F2P players, well they aren't going to sign up and stay on low population servers... so they're just as likely to have rolled toons on West Coast US servers. F2P might've had a chance of reinvigorating the APAC servers as well if we'd gone through the same consolidation as everyone else did.

The Role playing server doesn't have any roleplaying and the PVP server doesn't have any PVP anyway. And the PVE server, well that was actually fine population wise. So now they're screwing over all the APAC players, instead of only upsetting the few RPers and PVPers that wouldn't be happy on a PVE server.

Its an all round PR stuff up from EA. The entire situation with the APAC servers is because of their own inaction and they go for the solution that upsets the maximum number of people possible.

And then they have the gall to have Eric come on here and indicate that this was a solution that people had asked for. Here's a hint, it wasn't. Transfers to a US server was a last resort to seeing if a consolidated APAC server wouldn't work. And this was never even tried, all they had to do was open up the ability to transfer to Dalborra, the highest population APAC server. Simply rerolling became an incredibly difficult thing to do, since it involved abandoning anything you'd spent cartel coins on. The people who wanted US transfers were those who had already given up on APAC because of EA and Bioware's inaction. And you're not even giving those players what they wanted; the ability to consolidate their abandoned APAC toons onto the same server as their new NA ones.

Avatarless's Avatar


Avatarless
03.26.2013 , 08:35 AM | #3740
So what is the word on character slots?

I came from Harbinger when we were encouraged to re-roll on the new Oceanic servers.

If I already have 12 of my characters on Harbinger do I get another 12 slots on there to accommodate all my Dalborra ones? Or am I going to have to choose which ones I have to delete?