Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jackdaley
03.25.2013 , 04:32 PM | #3291
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Harbinger was the unofficial PvE server for APAC at launch and it worked fine. Lots of Aussies on during the non-peak hours to US and vice versa. The server was always busy and it made for great populations for US players who worked night shifts and played closer to Aussie hours. Many of us missed the Aussies when they moved to APAC local servers, and we are enjoying their returning population over the last 3-4 months.

I know this has probably not dawned on some of the posters here... but it would be pretty easy to track the unofficial migration of Aussie accounts to US servers by Bioware using their analytics suite over the last 3-6 months. Personally, I think they saw a trend and leaned into that trend rather then try to fight it with a 3-2-1 merger locally to APAC.

/2-cents
This^ atleast somebody hear can use logic

keitzy
03.25.2013 , 04:33 PM | #3292
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
This is exactly what I'm saying.

1. My ping will be around 280. Can you play on this? Yes. Will your performance always be impaired by this? Yes. I don't just want to play to an acceptable standard, I want to play to the best of my abilities. That's what I enjoy.
2. I don't play other MMOs for this reason, so chew on that. I will simply not be playing another MMO when I leave this game.
3. This won't solve population issues anyway (y'know, those ones that we weren't experiencing on the Dalborra), because my primetime is at a completely different time from the Harbingers'.

The attempts at spinning this are really quite pathetic. They're trying to trumpet "Population > All" when the Dalborra was quite bearable to begin with, when the majority of the people in this thread wanted an APAC merger, and when their solution is to move us to a server that's on another timezone. Say what?

Also, where was the importance of playstyle when the EU RP-PvPers got nuked out of existence?
^ this

Massamo
03.25.2013 , 04:33 PM | #3293
why can't i pick the server i want to transfer to why are we getting forced maybe i want to change to pve

keitzy
03.25.2013 , 04:33 PM | #3294
Quote: Originally Posted by jackdaley View Post
This^ atleast somebody hear can use logic
LoL. Launch pop was greater than pop now.

Obirayy
03.25.2013 , 04:34 PM | #3295
To all the people ************ about ping and latency, seriously get over it!

I assume most of you guys have played WoW or some other AAA MMO in which they have Oceanic/Asian servers (that are actually based in the US) you most likely enjoyed that experience enough to venture out into other MMOs (like SWTOR, or you are just a die hard Star Wars fan) and you would know that the ping is roughly 150-250 depending on where ur IP is based so basically this is what ur saying "OMG IM QUITTING BECAUSE I WILL HAVE 0.2 SECONDS LAG".

Now I know this isn't the most ideal solution but it;s better than playing on a ghost town server I have toons on all 3 and none of them are what I would call healthy the only one decent enough is Dalborra and that's okish but it's losing players weekly, I also have toons on The Harbinger and that population is booming and im looking forward too it I would've preferred free transfers to where ever we want and have all my toons on the one server but they are bringing it in later so I can wait.

Now my Rebuttal to everything you guys say is this..

This Thread Was Made to Address The Population Issues on The APAC Servers
it wasnt about ping or playstyle it was about low population and how it's affecting our experience now im not defending EAWARE at all especially after their stall tactics abnd leaving us in the dark but they have atleast brought us a solution to FIX THE POPULATION ISSUE (and like eric stated before it wasnt the solution everybody wanted but it's atleast a solution) so if you guys unsub and not play (which i doubt most of you will) then go right ahead but I can guarantee that the majority of you will come back because you guys have been up in arms about this is which tells me you enjoy the game.

TL;DR Population issue > Ping Issue

So guys just be thankful they've got something in plan to improve our playing experience and he people that want to QQ you won't be missed
You my friend are a cartel market ****** and don't care how well you can play against other people.

The population issue would have been fixed if they just merged all 3 servers... ALL PRIBLEMS ARE SOLVED... BUT WAIT! Bioware would make more money if they shut down the servers completely!
Mum: you need to get a life.
Me: but I've already got 10!

<Two Girls One Cup>

KippleMaster
03.25.2013 , 04:38 PM | #3296
it wasnt about ping or playstyle it was about low population
Actually it was explicitly stated that play style was a factor in EA/Bioware's decision. Specifically maintaining the separation. A separation that would have been lost in an APAC merge.

It seems like a few others agree with me that Dalborra's population was fine. A few people were taking a break before the expansion hit. This led to a slight drop off in numbers over the past month. We had a great community going and now it's going to be swallowed up.

jackdaley
03.25.2013 , 04:40 PM | #3297
Quote: Originally Posted by Obirayy View Post
You my friend are a cartel market ****** and don't care how well you can play against other people.

The population issue would have been fixed if they just merged all 3 servers... ALL PRIBLEMS ARE SOLVED... BUT WAIT! Bioware would make more money if they shut down the servers completely!
Lol you can't blame them really, Why pay money for upkeep on dying servers and you're delusional if you think merging the servers would've fixed the population issue it would've been an above average server at best until they bring in char xfers newsflash once they bring in char xfers 50%+ of the APAC community will flee to the US servers

jackdaley
03.25.2013 , 04:42 PM | #3298
Quote: Originally Posted by KippleMaster View Post
Actually it was explicitly stated that play style was a factor in EA/Bioware's decision. Specifically maintaining the separation. A separation that would have been lost in an APAC merge.

It seems like a few others agree with me that Dalborra's population was fine. A few people were taking a break before the expansion hit. This led to a slight drop off in numbers over the past month. We had a great community going and now it's going to be swallowed up.
Ah well it's better than playing on ding servers that are living on borrowed time

But honestly is anyone really shocked that this is the solution?

I called it months ago to friends of mine who also play the game

DrunkChickennn
03.25.2013 , 04:42 PM | #3299
Quote: Originally Posted by Massamo View Post
why can't i pick the server i want to transfer to why are we getting forced maybe i want to change to pve
im in the same boat, i say let people decide where they want to go as im sure alot of people want to chage server types.
<Harbinger> I <Excession>
Ržbžna 55 Shadow I Romaros 55 Gunslinger I Ranjanž 55 Vanguard

Synthise 55 Commando I Craxz 55 Scoundrel I Damarkel 55 Guardian

sabbey
03.25.2013 , 04:43 PM | #3300
I am not sure what I think of this all myself, but can't say I am surprised this was BioWare's solution, seeing how they were going to get heat no matter what was done I think, plus the amount of time to get word on what their plan was going to be wasn't a good sign to begin with.

If anything I am conflicted, I am on the US west coast, but when the transfers started originally to the APAC servers I rolled some characters on Dalborra since a big part of the guild I was in moved over and since then Dalborra has become my main server as well. In any case, I am not sure how much the ping issues are more reality or perception however... I have been getting 175-250ms for the most part over a year now and it hasn't been much a hamper to my gameplay in my experience. Still, while having a single legacy again is nice, with the amount of characters I have on both The Harbinger and on Dalborra an APAC merge would have been preferred however.

It will definitely will be interesting to see how this works out over the next month or so I think. Hoping for the best!