Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RichW
03.25.2013 , 03:52 PM | #3261
unsub = unsub +1
going back to 200 pings is not acceptable

Andryah
03.25.2013 , 03:53 PM | #3262
Quote: Originally Posted by Antispiral View Post
You seem to not even comprehend in the slightest how much low latency matters to us.
Sincere question..... what do you do on all the other MMOs that also do not have localized servers for APAC? Or do you not and never will play those either? You played SWTOR before there were APAC servers... yeah?

Yeah, lower latency is always better, but then again.... the total APAC population never warranted more then three of the old style servers (a year go). So while I think localized servers is a good thing... there really is not sufficient populations to warrant commercially sustaining servers in Aus. At the end of the day, they made a business decision that they felt was the best long term solution. But I do understand the agnst. I do.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

forumname
03.25.2013 , 03:56 PM | #3263
Quote: Originally Posted by KippleMaster View Post
Strange. No one in my guild had any complaints about Warzone queue times on Dalborra.

You do realise that a lot of us will lose character names. My sister is on Harbringer right now trying all her toon names and most of them are taken.
As will be mine, plus the Harbinger is not the most stable of servers. Random server outages anyone?

They string us along for 7 months only to implement the easiest solution available to Bioware.

chuixupu
03.25.2013 , 03:57 PM | #3264
Just curious, why not merge the servers, but allow the *option* for people to transfer to those realms? People who value having a uniquely APAC community with low latency will stay, people that value higher population and a specific server type will leave.

Of course this will also create a whole new batch of people angry about having to change their names, again.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

HyperThomas
03.25.2013 , 03:57 PM | #3265
Whats happening to legacy?
Chilastra - SWG
Master Dar’Nala
Ciraf - Justin Biebs

LeanderDane
03.25.2013 , 03:57 PM | #3266
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Sincere question..... what do you do on all the other MMOs that also do not have localized servers for APAC? Or do you not and never will play those either?
Actually in answer to your question.. The servers I played on, with games like WoW.. would be on the Oceanic servers.. where the time frame was the same for mostly all of us (as mainly Australian's were on those servers), and even though the ping would be the same for the majority of us, we would all have the same experience playing.

I rarely saw many American's on the Oceanic servers in WoW =)

Anyways, just wanted to add in my two cents =P

Twitchy_Eye
03.25.2013 , 03:58 PM | #3267
At the risk of raising ire with a question, if I have legacy on MND and Bastion and the 2 servers merge, which do I keep? MND is where I have been playing most since APAC servers started and I would want to keep my legacy from there, but since I came from a server that got merged into the Bastion previously and since I have been playing a little on there since then I have legacy there too. This will be an important question for many since quite a number or perks are attached to legacy and I wouldn't want to loose them.

keitzy
03.25.2013 , 03:58 PM | #3268
Well I came back to Dalborra/SWTOR from WOW because I missed the community I had grown to love.
Sure there are some heated arguments/debates but in the end you all ended up in a WZ or OP's together and tolerated each other.
I am going to miss the Dalborrah community.

Frostmorne here I come.

cuttothechase
03.25.2013 , 04:06 PM | #3269
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

To clarify a bit more about this decision. We did previously ask what folks on the forums would like to do as an APAC solution and some, but not all, offered up the solution of merging all APAC into one. The other option on the table was to merge APAC into the NA servers. When we discussed the options internally we looked to address everyone’s primary issues with APAC, low populations were creating a less than optimal game experience.

We went and looked at what current server populations looked like across all of APAC and to put it simply, even merging all of APAC together into one server would not solve the population problems. Even with that solution you would still see long queue times for things like Warzones and Group Finder. It was because of this that we decided that moving APAC into the NA servers was the best option.

One thing to note is that there is no catchall solution here. If we move APAC to NA some folks will see increased latency, but they will have healthy server populations and can remain on their chosen server types. If we merge everyone into one APAC server, latency will remain in place but the current population issues will exist and players will lose their preferred server type. Leaving things as they are leaves all of the current issues in place without a solution at all. This is one of the reasons getting the plan out to you folks took so long, we had to think long and hard about all of the implications of our decision.

-eric
I am sorry Eric, but i believe this to be spin... the contract for the servers were ending, you simply counted the paying subs + cartel spending and compared it to the cost of keeping any server in APAC and decided it wasn't worth it.
The rest of the 'hard and long decision' was just to keep us hanging until the contract ended.

MaximusRex
03.25.2013 , 04:07 PM | #3270
Quote: Originally Posted by LeanderDane View Post
Actually in answer to your question.. The servers I played on, with games like WoW.. would be on the Oceanic servers.. where the time frame was the same for mostly all of us (as mainly Australian's were on those servers), and even though the ping would be the same for the majority of us, we would all have the same experience playing.

I rarely saw many American's on the Oceanic servers in WoW =)

Anyways, just wanted to add in my two cents =P
WoW "Oceanic" servers are in North America, that is what they are asking all the people quitting over ping since not many MMOs have APAC servers if they just not play any MMOs ever if that is the primary concern.