Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RolHai
03.25.2013 , 03:28 PM | #3251
AND i'm back from un-subbing and here is my response to the questionaire about why:

I am un-subscribing due to the APAC server issue. I am extremely unhappy about the result that BW has decided upon. It feels like the APAC players have been strung along and then ignored. I am very disappointed and upset as I enjoy the game and was looking forward to the expansion and playing with other APAC players. I still believe that an APAC Super-server is the best idea but at the least an option to choose a destination server is needed to be there. I have 3 50's on 'The Harbinger' and 5 50's on MDN and they will STILL be on separate servers!
I have been patiently been waiting for over 6 months for dialogue about the fate of our servers and for them to be shut down is a bitter pill to swallow. From being in a large and vibrant guild on MDN, which leaked players to the point of loosing 4 raid groups to 1 inconsistent raid group, I moved with a few of the more dedicated players to 'The Harbinger' (as the highest population server) to try and make a go of it. Unfortunately having to start from basically zero again (in regards to legacy, credits, etc.) made it too hard except for a couple of us.
This is now the final straw for me as I have lost most of my SWTOR friends and the chance of the expansion bringing them back will basically be zero due to this APAC shutdown. I will still log in sparingly (being F2P) to see how many people come back, but having to change servers will be a death sentence to friendship as the name changes will destroy any connections we have.
Thank you BW for an enjoyable year of playing SWTOR but I now have little room for nothing but hate and lost respect for you guys. This is NOT the best option for the APAC community, just for your bottom line (server costs). I wish I could take back all the time and money I have wasted (in regards to the Cartel Market and waiting for an answer).

Regretfully,

John

PS. I would love for you to refund me the expansion but I know you wont, I'm really not sure if I'll even try it now.
Pol Blex: Just make it worth my while, all right? If I talk, I have to pump up security, make escape plans... all very expensive. Help me out, here.
Me: Well, you don't have to pay those guards I shot...
Pol Blex: Hmm. Not a bad point, actually . We'll, uh, we'll call it even, then.

SpannersSF
03.25.2013 , 03:30 PM | #3252
Quote: Originally Posted by keitzy View Post
So having 100+ on coruscant, 150+ on fleet, 3 instances of Ilum for gree event is not considered Population. Each planet while questing had at least 30+ on it and that's just PUB side on Dalborra.
QFT
I never thought Dalborra pop was a huge problem, I thought the other two servers were the issue here, hence the merge idea.

NotRonin
03.25.2013 , 03:30 PM | #3253
I have played the game since launch, so I started at Harbinger. The playing experience with 20ms is a lot better than 220ms, and I will not go back. Unless the decision to close down the APAC server is reversed, I will not be playing anymore.

MouldyCrow
03.25.2013 , 03:30 PM | #3254
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

We went and looked at what current server populations looked like across all of APAC and to put it simply, even merging all of APAC together into one server would not solve the population problems.
Because it took you over 7 months to do anything about it, and all the while people were quitting. Worthless.
Unsubbed! Voting against the APAC server closures - with my wallet.

Saffa
03.25.2013 , 03:33 PM | #3255
Quote: Originally Posted by MyPetMonkey View Post
I'm not having issues finding anyone to play with Ailie.

That you can't figure out that population issues are separate to being social with the people who do play just shows how out of sync with the community you are.
This ^^^^
Safasafin Knight LVL 50 Laum Assassin LVL 26

LeanderDane
03.25.2013 , 03:33 PM | #3256
First time posting and probably my last..
I am unsubbing from this game.. it's absolutely unbelievable how we can be treated like this. All we wanted was a server merge and I'm really not confident in having over 200ms (or 500ms in my case.. my internet isn't THAT great) when being on a North American server.
I haven't even gotten my characters up to level 50 yet, and already I'm disappointed.. and I don't think my characters will ever hit 50 at this rate.

I guess it's back to WoW for me.. (despite the ping issues.. but I'm not PvPing or raiding much so it's not an issue for me..)
Good luck EA/BW.. you're going to need it..
I honestly hope that you change your ways and change this decision.. but in the mean time, good luck.. I hope you can survive with the loss of subscribers you'll be receiving.

P.S: I wonder what the Americans think of this decision.. I wonder if they're just as annoyed as us =/

Kirjalax
03.25.2013 , 03:37 PM | #3257
I never posted on this thread because the people who were sustaining the thread for so long were shouting down anyone who said they were actually happy..... Poor Ailie

While I was happy with how things currently are, it also seemed pretty clear to me that the overwhelming majority of opinions were asking for the APAC servers to be merged. I'd be interested to know how many people actually asked for a total merge with US servers?

I must say that I am very disappointed with this decision. It's pretty difficult to avoid the conclusion that this call was made purely from a profitability perspective, and that it had very little to do with what players actually wanted.

Maybe you should have actually gone on the servers and checked out the reality of the so called 'preferred play style' which is apparently so important. I doubt there is much real difference between the pve and rp servers in this regard.

This decision is the sad reality of a corporation, where the opinion of an accountant is far more valuable than that of a consumer...

KippleMaster
03.25.2013 , 03:39 PM | #3258
Hey everyone,

To clarify a bit more about this decision. We did previously ask what folks on the forums would like to do as an APAC solution and some, but not all, offered up the solution of merging all APAC into one. The other option on the table was to merge APAC into the NA servers. When we discussed the options internally we looked to address everyone’s primary issues with APAC, low populations were creating a less than optimal game experience.

We went and looked at what current server populations looked like across all of APAC and to put it simply, even merging all of APAC together into one server would not solve the population problems. Even with that solution you would still see long queue times for things like Warzones and Group Finder. It was because of this that we decided that moving APAC into the NA servers was the best option.

One thing to note is that there is no catchall solution here. If we move APAC to NA some folks will see increased latency, but they will have healthy server populations and can remain on their chosen server types. If we merge everyone into one APAC server, latency will remain in place but the current population issues will exist and players will lose their preferred server type. Leaving things as they are leaves all of the current issues in place without a solution at all. This is one of the reasons getting the plan out to you folks took so long, we had to think long and hard about all of the implications of our decision.

-eric
Strange. No one in my guild had any complaints about Warzone queue times on Dalborra.

You do realise that a lot of us will lose character names. My sister is on Harbringer right now trying all her toon names and most of them are taken.

Antispiral
03.25.2013 , 03:46 PM | #3259
Hey everyone,

To clarify a bit more about this decision. We did previously ask what folks on the forums would like to do as an APAC solution and some, but not all, offered up the solution of merging all APAC into one. The other option on the table was to merge APAC into the NA servers. When we discussed the options internally we looked to address everyone’s primary issues with APAC, low populations were creating a less than optimal game experience.

We went and looked at what current server populations looked like across all of APAC and to put it simply, even merging all of APAC together into one server would not solve the population problems. Even with that solution you would still see long queue times for things like Warzones and Group Finder. It was because of this that we decided that moving APAC into the NA servers was the best option.

One thing to note is that there is no catchall solution here. If we move APAC to NA some folks will see increased latency, but they will have healthy server populations and can remain on their chosen server types. If we merge everyone into one APAC server, latency will remain in place but the current population issues will exist and players will lose their preferred server type. Leaving things as they are leaves all of the current issues in place without a solution at all. This is one of the reasons getting the plan out to you folks took so long, we had to think long and hard about all of the implications of our decision.

-eric
Frankly I am absolutely disgusted by this.You seem to not even comprehend in the slightest how much low latency matters to us. And then you seem to invent some rubbish about the population not being high enough even if you merge the APAC servers together? Err, what?

Then of course with this, a lot of people will lose character names because you're merging us with a long existing server - cause it's not like any of us are attached to our names, right?

I really wish I hadn't read the forums first thing in the morning so I wouldn't start off in a really ****** mood.

Thanks for totally screwing us over Bioware.

ChuangTzu
03.25.2013 , 03:48 PM | #3260
Hey everyone,

To clarify a bit more about this decision. We did previously ask what folks on the forums would like to do as an APAC solution and some, but not all, offered up the solution of merging all APAC into one.

-eric
SOME??!! Try around 90% of responses were in favour of a merge. Are you totally clueless??

I won't be resubscribing! I will also be advising others to do the same.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu