Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Aurojiin
03.25.2013 , 12:50 PM | #3211
Quote: Originally Posted by MitchPB View Post
To those of you worried about ping.

I play from New Zealand on The Harbinger had have since i started playing and average around 200ms of latency. Some of my guildies get worse than that and they play from the US.
200ms is *********** garbage and I won't consider playing seriously on that for a heartbeat. I played on the Jekk'Jekk Tarr when the game launched and it was a miserable experience. I will never, ever go back.

I seriously want to see about a ROTHC refund however.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

Projawa
03.25.2013 , 12:54 PM | #3212
I'm sure a big part of this decision were the operational benefits for EA. Shutting down the APAC servers means saving a bunch of $ on server leases. There will be less off-hour support requests as well. WoW never had APAC servers- Aussie players who really wanted to reduce their latency used 3rd party SSH tunneling services.

I'm sure EA did the math and determined that the cost of maintaining APAC servers was in the same ballpark as the revenue from APAC customers. So even though many Aussie players will quit, many will continue playing/subscribing on the US West Coast servers. Once you factor in the cost savings from cancelling the APAC server leases, EA actually makes money in this scenario.

Bottcobco
03.25.2013 , 12:56 PM | #3213
Wow...I've been pretty supportive of the game in general but this is not a decision I was expecting. Server merges or a free character transfer to a choice server seemed like the logical moves here. I've ended up in the same situation I am now except without the great ping...I've already rerolled on the Harbinger and now my APAC guys are getting sent to a different server type. So my toons are still separated but now all have rotten ping instead of only a few. For the first time since launch I'm actually considering unsubscribing.

Nightraiyven
03.25.2013 , 01:03 PM | #3214
I've been playing since launch, have 3 accounts and 17 toons.
I have never felt a need to post on the forums until now.

I would of thought it would of made more sense to offer the option to all merge to one APAC server first and if that was unsuccessful then merge us to the US servers.

On top of that many of us will lose our character names and have to go back to high pings which already rules out PvP for most of us.

Bad decision and im really struggling for a reason to stay subscribed.
Hyperspace Pub Brawlers / Crawlers
Official Guilds of The AU Crew
Australian Gaming Community

sootley
03.25.2013 , 01:18 PM | #3215

MrRuck
03.25.2013 , 01:35 PM | #3216
Quote: Originally Posted by sootley View Post
LOL so true.
Lycaeon
< Samurai Pizza Cats >
R.I.P. Dalborra Server

Yndras
03.25.2013 , 01:55 PM | #3217
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

I have an update for you on our long term plans for the APAC servers. Before I do that though I want to let you know up front that we still have quite a bit of work to do to make this happen so I cannot provide any timeframes for you today.

We know that when we asked you, the community, for your opinions on what we should do, we received quite a variety of suggested solutions. Some people wanted to be able to transfer to higher populated North American servers, some suggested merging the three existing APAC servers into one large APAC server, and then there were a host of other ideas as well. However, the one common theme from the suggestions, which we heard clearly, is that everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers. With this in mind, we have evaluated all of the options and determined that the best solution, that will offer the best long term play experience, is to merge the APAC servers with higher populated North American servers.

Getting to the point of being able to merge the servers is going to be a multistep process. First off we need to update our Free Character Transfer System to include the game changes that we have made recently along with the upcoming changes in Game Update 2.0 and the Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel. We will then offer Free Character Transfers to anyone currently playing on an APAC server to a North American server of the same gameplay type, specifically:
  • Mastar Dar’Nala (PvP) will transfer to The Bastion (PvP)
  • Gav Daragon (RP-PvE) will transfer to Begeren Colony (RP-PvE)
  • Dalborra (PvE) will transfer to The Harbinger (PvE)
We will also need to update our server merge technology at which point we will ultimately merge each of the APAC servers into the corresponding North American servers as indicated above. We are moving as quickly as we can to make this happen, but we want to make sure this is a smooth transition, so it will take some time.

Why did we decide not to merge the three APAC servers into one large APAC server? We decided this for two main reasons. 1. The issue in doing this is that two play-styles (PvE, PvE-RP, or PvP) would need to sacrifice their desired play-style in order to have one server with a higher population. We feel that it is important that each player is allowed to continue to play SWTOR in their preferred play-style. Therefore, accommodating all the existing play-styles was a primary goal. By allowing you to move to a NA West server, you will be able to keep your play-style. 2. The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term.

I will continue to provide updates as soon as I have them. I know the next big question will be “when” and as soon as I have that information to release, I will do so. Thank you for your continued patience on this. I know it took longer than you would have liked but I intend to continue to give you information as soon as I can!

-eric
This is absolute ******** Bioware. You are not giving us anything here. All you are doing is taking away our gameplay experience and forcing us into a worse situation.

WE CANNOT PLAY PVP competitively with your crappy latency to US servers.

Just lost a subscriber. *********** useless.
Layda, Sentinel - Hoarus, Scoundrel
Bandeeto, Mercenary

punktual
03.25.2013 , 02:02 PM | #3218
I was really looking forward to the expansion then I hear this news.

This seems like a bull***** excuse to save money on your part by closing our servers under the guise of
helping us move to higher pop servers.

NEWSFLASH! - We play on these servers because we want low pings! I and many I know played since BETA and moved from the Harbinger to Dalborra in the first place so we could have lovely local servers. Honestly most people currently on Dalborra are more than happy with the serer population at the moment.

People wanted merges, not to be shafted into moving back to a server on the other side of the world.

I play SWTOR specifically because it has local servers. When they were introduced we were blown away because it showed that a big US company actually gave a crap about our experience on the other side of the world. I guess that is no longer the case.

Ash-Wan
03.25.2013 , 02:08 PM | #3219
Quote: Originally Posted by wikd View Post
On top of my last post I would like to reflect on EA's/Bioware's actions of late.
In hindsight EA/Bioware has been stringing us along when in reality the year long contracts for the APAC servers are running out early April. We have all been fuc.ked royally and looking back on it now i honestly think that this was their intention all along and we've just been milked with all this 2.0 BS and the release of cartel coins.
I was thinking exactly the same. It feels like them asking for our suggestions and the supposed ambiguity of the future of our servers, was just a BS stalling tactic to sucker us out of as much $ as possible before the server contracts expired, and that they were invariably going to be shutdown then anyway. Why else would they ask for suggestions and then completely disregard what the majority asked for?

I actually feel physically sickened by this treatment towards paying customers. I've played almost every Bioware game since Baldur's Gate came out and I think I can honestly say that this will be the last.

Just glad my sub runs out in a few days.

PROLAPSE_PANDA
03.25.2013 , 02:08 PM | #3220
=_= Seriously EA/BW ***, why even ask what we wanted with no intention of actually listening?

EA/BW please go EADC lol I cant believe that one main reason to merge to US servers was so people didn't lose anything of the play style they like? So their solution is to move us to 2000000ms instead because we all like high ping, Which accommodates whose play style exactly? So in effect PvP is out of question, PvE and end game content is pointless on high unreliable ms so please explain whose play style your catering for? How is this a solution for APAC servers at all the general consensus was people would go without open world PvP and RP to be merged into on APAC server to maintain playable ms.

If this is the final result I hope they at least offer refunds on the X-Pack hell even refunds for anyone whose recently subscribed or purchased cartel coins thinking they had a future playing on this game after misleading everyone into thinking they had a real solution for us.... Well done guys you have ****ed us since release only to completely **** us over in the long run without the courtisy of offering some lube. Some one needs to start a new thread discussing what other games everyone will go to .... Truly disapointing...