Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Claprica
01.20.2013 , 06:36 PM | #2251
Quote: Originally Posted by laz_AU View Post
1. Merge all the apac servers into a single PVE server - the reasoning around this has been described many times. Keep the awesome latency, correct prime/op times, guilds, legacies and local community whilst boosting the population

2. Offer FREE transfers FROM US servers TO the apac server - in a bid to get those APAC players that left or rolled on US servers due to the population issues, to come back

3. Offer PAID transfers FROM the apac server TO US servers after a month or so - gives those who still hate Pve or have some other problem with the apac server after some time trying it, an opportunity to get out. Could possibly make this process free for PVP and RP players if that's not too complicated

4. Some form of advertising in Australia/NZ to get more people in before the release of the expansion

Asking for point 4 may be pushing it but thought I'd throw it up there anyway because I think it would be effective

+1 for this option.
Azealiab - Shadow || Glasskannon - Sage || Tatonkabill - Sentinel Master Dar'Nala Server

Darklightter
01.20.2013 , 08:54 PM | #2252
Defiantly add server transfers to US. I have pretty much abandoned my characters on Australian servers and play exclusively on the Harbinger now and I experience few if any issues with it. Lag is sometimes annoying but it's a good trade off for playing with other people

Blitz-wing
01.20.2013 , 09:37 PM | #2253
Quote: Originally Posted by Darklightter View Post
Defiantly add server transfers to US. I have pretty much abandoned my characters on Australian servers and play exclusively on the Harbinger now and I experience few if any issues with it. Lag is sometimes annoying but it's a good trade off for playing with other people
Again another post that has on point being here.

1. This is Thread, Issue, Topic & Discussion is about HELPING THE APAC SERVERS. Not giving those that left special attention.
2. Character Transfer service is coming soon. This year at some point after PTS Character Copy is up and running.

Wait like the rest of the world for the Character Transfer System.

Morrolan
01.21.2013 , 12:36 AM | #2254
Quote: Originally Posted by OGsam View Post
To put some context to the situation:

Add PvPers to the optional transfer to a mid population US/EU PvP server.
While this may seem a very extensive solution I do feel it is a solve for the problem almost as an entirety.

Feel free to give me some constructive feedback as to whether or not you guys want this as your solution, rather than bicker amongst ourselves BW/EA is relying on us to all agree upon a solution as adults and move forward together!
I agree with your solution. Whilst I appreciate Joveth posting tom this thread I do not see why a solution such as yours is difficult to implement. They have character transfers systems in place they've effectively merged servers before. They can do it.
[Harbinger] <Zeroth Legacy>
Alieraxx-Sent / Morroian-Shadow / Sereorin-Slinger / Fidd'ler-VG
Miranda-Zero-Op / Whiskeyjackxx-PT / Tattersailxx-Sin / Ben'delat-Jugg

grallmate
01.21.2013 , 12:42 AM | #2255
My preference is to merge all 3 servers and offer GD and MDN players the option to move to a US based server of the appropriate type.

Give me more friends to play with!!
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Digimanbyte_ID
01.21.2013 , 01:12 AM | #2256
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi everyone,

I know it’s been a while since we’ve updated this thread, and I wanted to let you know that we haven’t forgotten about our Oceanic players. Now that we’re at a more stable point in time (post Free-to-Play transition and post holidays), we wanted to re-examine this issue. We’re going to be completely honest with you: there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution for anyone. We’ve seen many ideas from you folks such as merging all three servers into one, allowing for transfers to North America servers, and even not doing anything at all, but none of them seem to be an ideal solution for all. This is why we are now opening up this dialogue with you.

In this thread, please let us know what you think the best solution will be for your servers. I know there have been many suggestions already, but I would like to collect the most current ideas for us to consider. After that, our team will review and discuss what is feasible and what makes the most sense to do. Please remember to follow all forum rules and be respectful of each other’s ideas, even if you disagree with it.

Thank you all, and we look forward to your ideas.
How about a decent advertisment campaign expressing the whole concept that the game is f2play and available to download in the oceanic areas?

The only other solution I see here is cross server us with the US. That will keep most of the oceanic population intact with something to do while we wait for a fix to this mess you left since the beginning.

Digimanbyte_ID
01.21.2013 , 01:15 AM | #2257
Also ignore those ideas of server transfers. This is only going to dig a bigger hole as people start jumping from server to server looking for greener pastures and instead causing massive server population imbalances.

I don't think you want to be the ones to clean that mess up or even be the ones to police it. Its expensive and if not given proper attention will coalesce into massive server related issues through holidays a business ones.

Xitzay
01.21.2013 , 02:57 AM | #2258
Please stop trying to group us as being Oceanic. The only people those servers benefit are the OZ/NZ players as the rest of Asia has half the latency connecting to the west coast of the US as trying to connect to OZ. Those of us playing from Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, and anywhere else aren`t going to roll characters or play there. Realize as long as you have physically located the servers there your are losing about 80 percent of your `oceanic` player base to the harbinger or other `unofficial oceanic server.` As long as your engine doesn`t support separate downtimes for server regions your gonna keep losing people who want to raid during prime time. If OZ/NZ don`t have the players...they just don`t have the players.

Rincewend
01.21.2013 , 03:02 AM | #2259
Quote: Originally Posted by Xitzay View Post
Please stop trying to group us as being Oceanic. The only people those servers benefit are the OZ/NZ players as the rest of Asia has half the latency connecting to the west coast of the US as trying to connect to OZ. Those of us playing from Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, and anywhere else aren`t going to roll characters or play there. Realize as long as you have physically located the servers there your are losing about 80 percent of your `oceanic` player base to the harbinger or other `unofficial oceanic server.` As long as your engine doesn`t support separate downtimes for server regions your gonna keep losing people who want to raid during prime time. If OZ/NZ don`t have the players...they just don`t have the players.
Completely agree with the first half, being I am in Taiwan. My Ping to east coast is even better than APAC servers, west coast being the best. But I don't suggest closeing the OZ/NZ servers, do what is best for them, and don't expect those of us to move back (as long as the servers are pining in that slow for us). I would love to run, in my old timezone with people in my time zone, but I give that up to have a respectable ping so that I can play.

PurpleCliff
01.21.2013 , 03:13 AM | #2260
Everyone cross all your fingers and toes and arms and other parts that this is the week something finally happens!
The Bastion
Agent Cislunar Lord Seismometer Hunter Telescope Sith Escarpment Master Propellant Trooper Fluorocarbon