Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OGsam's Avatar


OGsam
01.19.2013 , 07:06 PM | #2231
I'll extend on a previous post I made with what I feel is a solution that caters for everyone;

-Merge all 3 APAC servers into 1 APAC "PVE" super server.
-Offer free transfers to those APAC players who left and started fresh on US/EU servers but only allowing them to transfer to the new APAC super server.
-Offer free transfers for any character (yes, specifically character) that was on the Gav Daragon (APAC RP-PVE server) to a selected mid population US RP-PVE server.
-Finally allow anyone who's not happy with this to pay for a transfer when that service is available.

That may seem a lot of work, but you are asking us for the best solution and I truly believe that's it.
Dizzle - GM of <Legit>
Master Dar'Nala
Unsubscribed in protest of APAC dissolution.

odonoghuet's Avatar


odonoghuet
01.19.2013 , 07:22 PM | #2232
How about...

Step 1 Announce the opening date of a new PVE APAC (super) server.
Step 2 Add to the cartel market a purchase per character for character name lock. In the order of purchase, you purchase the vanity of keeping your name on the transfer.
Step 3 Open transfers from current APAC servers to the new server, and possibly for APAC players on US/EU servers. Order of Subscribers, then Prefered, then Free players.
Step 4 Close the remaining servers and transer remaining players to appropriate US servers (PVP, PVE, RP) who can handle the player influx.
Laugh and the universe laughs with you, cry and you're on the path to the dark side.

Snorlaxo's Avatar


Snorlaxo
01.19.2013 , 08:15 PM | #2233
Quote: Originally Posted by laz_AU View Post
1. Merge all the apac servers into a single PVE server - the reasoning around this has been described many times. Keep the awesome latency, correct prime/op times, guilds, legacies and local community whilst boosting the population

2. Offer FREE transfers FROM US servers TO the apac server - in a bid to get those APAC players that left or rolled on US servers due to the population issues, to come back

3. Offer PAID transfers FROM the apac server TO US servers after a month or so - gives those who still hate Pve or have some other problem with the apac server after some time trying it, an opportunity to get out. Could possibly make this process free for PVP and RP players if that's not too complicated

4. Some form of advertising in Australia/NZ to get more people in before the release of the expansion


Asking for point 4 may be pushing it but thought I'd throw it up there anyway because I think it would be effective
I vote for this way of implementing it.
(█∭∭∭∭██(o)█Ξ█|/[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

Yubided's Avatar


Yubided
01.19.2013 , 08:42 PM | #2234
I'd prefer to see the free tranfers from US to Oceanic servers being offered before a server merge. As a few people have already mentioned, there are people out there who don't like being in log-in queues and there are Oceanic players on US servers that would return if the transfer option was made available.

I can only speak for my experience on Dalborra but I don't find the population size to be that limiting as it stands. PUG Ops groups form fairly quickly (15 minutes) during peak times and the PvP queues are tolerable most of the time. I would be prepared to wait and see how many US-based players come over. If there was still a lot of complaints after the free transfer window closed then an Oceanic server merge would be the next best thing; which is what the majority of posters seem to be advocating anyway.

I, too, am not prepared to go back to US latencies (300+ms for me). The game doesn't play well past the 150 ms mark in my opinion.

elitenz's Avatar


elitenz
01.19.2013 , 09:27 PM | #2235
Quote: Originally Posted by laz_AU View Post
3. Offer PAID transfers FROM the apac server TO US servers after a month or so - gives those who still hate Pve or have some other problem with the apac server after some time trying it, an opportunity to get out. Could possibly make this process free for PVP and RP players if that's not too complicated

effective
Only if you will pay for people because we are owed FREE transfers.

Cheezfriend's Avatar


Cheezfriend
01.19.2013 , 09:59 PM | #2236
Just played a couple of lowbie WZs on my Operative Healer on MDN... must admit the ping is pretty awesome... if only we had the population!!

<3 Chippy

laz_AU's Avatar


laz_AU
01.19.2013 , 11:04 PM | #2237
Quote: Originally Posted by elitenz View Post
Only if you will pay for people because we are owed FREE transfers.
Free transfers are justified for rp and maybe pvp players (if there is no new system in place on the new server to accomodate for their playstyle) but i don't see how for pve players...

My concern would be people just jumping ship to US servers as soon as they can without giving the new apac server a go. This could potentially recreate the low population issue. A delay in offering this option and a small fee would at least get people to think about it a bit more rather than instantly transferring based on preconceived ideas that the new server will be crappy

TBH not a deal breaker though so long as we get a merger and free transfers from US to the apac server...
Leader of Nocturnal | Impaled on The Harbinger (Ex-APAC)

The Custos Legacy
Riku - Sage Healer
Excubitor - Focus Sentinel
Equiti - Vanguard Tank/DPS

Icebladz's Avatar


Icebladz
01.19.2013 , 11:58 PM | #2238
I don't know if this has been suggested in previous posts (I'm not wading through the 224 pages) but what about as a long term solution, cross server LFG/PvP? Even with the merged servers this might help, especially when playing during quiet time zones. I realise coding wise it's much easier to just merge the servers and dump all the players on one, or let people transfer off to their choice of server. But I actually like playing with fellow aussies, it just sucks that there's not many of us left. WoW never had cross server LFG/PvP in the beginning, but it was one of the best things they did. It didn't matter if you were working night shift and got home late, you could log on to a dead server and still find groups. Of course Blizz never had proper Oceanic servers, they were all still based in the US.

odonoghuet's Avatar


odonoghuet
01.20.2013 , 02:20 AM | #2239
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebladz View Post
I don't know if this has been suggested in previous posts (I'm not wading through the 224 pages) but what about as a long term solution, cross server LFG/PvP? Even with the merged servers this might help, especially when playing during quiet time zones. I realise coding wise it's much easier to just merge the servers and dump all the players on one, or let people transfer off to their choice of server. But I actually like playing with fellow aussies, it just sucks that there's not many of us left. WoW never had cross server LFG/PvP in the beginning, but it was one of the best things they did. It didn't matter if you were working night shift and got home late, you could log on to a dead server and still find groups. Of course Blizz never had proper Oceanic servers, they were all still based in the US.
THat would fix the issue of Group finder and WZ pops, but it would still deny a fair chance for players to have guilds large enough to do the operation content outside of the basic ops in story mode, effectively capping the content available to APAC players paying as much as the rest of the world.
Laugh and the universe laughs with you, cry and you're on the path to the dark side.

Ignicity's Avatar


Ignicity
01.20.2013 , 02:51 AM | #2240
Quote: Originally Posted by OGsam View Post
I'll extend on a previous post I made with what I feel is a solution that caters for everyone;

-Merge all 3 APAC servers into 1 APAC "PVE" super server.
-Offer free transfers to those APAC players who left and started fresh on US/EU servers but only allowing them to transfer to the new APAC super server.
-Offer free transfers for any character (yes, specifically character) that was on the Gav Daragon (APAC RP-PVE server) to a selected mid population US RP-PVE server.
-Finally allow anyone who's not happy with this to pay for a transfer when that service is available.

That may seem a lot of work, but you are asking us for the best solution and I truly believe that's it.
Why offer free transfers for RP players to US/EU servers but not PvP players? It makes no sense.