Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tom_the_Narwhal
01.16.2013 , 10:03 PM | #2041
I'd like to thank Joveth for finally talking to us and communicating.

From where I'm standing there are 3 realistic options each with their own drawbacks and strengths.

As probably one of longest players/most time played on Master Dar'Nala I can with confidence say that all the people there want a higher population. Whether the server becomes PvP, PvE or PvE-RP it doesn't matter to us, we can adjust our gameplay and toggle our pvp flags if we wish to do so for events and open world PvP.

Option 1, Merge all three servers. There is only one problem with this, and that is the integrity of the RP community on the Gav Daragon. From what I've seen they do not partake in as much RP events/conversations as US servers simply because of the lack of people to do so. I know that on the PvP server there is next to no one that would actively troll them for doing so, as we would expect the same courtesy for being PvP Oriented. Anyone who would is simply not around anymore/enough to be of a real hassle.

Option 2, Open Transfers for APAC players to US servers and shut down APAC servers. This, while being a viable option, completely dissolves the current community we have and merely waters down our numbers more, as no one would be able to decide on one server for everyone as we simply just can't coordinate on that scale. The numbers on US servers would go up a very very small amount and leave any potential new APAC destination seeking players in the dark.

Option 3, Do nothing. Since July this year more and more people have left the server while waiting for server mergers, roughly half the population since then has moved to the Bastion, the Harbinger or the Prophecy of the Five and even still numbers are declining. In terms of serious guilds currently there are only 4-5 MAX on the Republic side that are anywhere near progressive end-game content or PvP competitiveness, and even less on the Imperial side.

Option 1 is the best option for all servers simply because it would make the 1 server merged together one of the best in the game in terms of Ranked PvP, World RP as well as Progression PvE content. There are a lot of people waiting for server mergers to happen from just Master Dar'Nala alone and just server Mergers alone would bring back a LOT of people and at least double the population from our single server. That is a fact.\

That's my view of the matter. And I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.
Tomthenarwhal
Ihaveabiggun Issues Cicolluis Tomthenarwhal
Fioria Fanta-Pants
Gm of <Legit>

Dogmonty
01.16.2013 , 10:08 PM | #2042
As a casual player, who moved from WAR to SWTOR, I had hoped that the Master D server would be great for PVP. Sadly, since October 2012 I would get online and wait fifteen/twenty minutes for a WZ or FP, and even then, I'd get rolled because there were only premades smashing PUG's.

I stopped playing and went to GW2. I also put a ticket in for a transfer (I even offered to pay!!) for all my toons to Dalborra, where the majority of my friends were. Why not reroll you say?

I just didn't have the time or the inclination to reroll and redo all the storylines. I just wanted to move my toons and keep playing. I still have a sub, and I really want to keep playing, but I really just want to move my toons from Master D to Dalborra. Thats all.

Thanks for listening!

Tom_the_Narwhal
01.16.2013 , 10:08 PM | #2043
Quote: Originally Posted by Ailie View Post
Yes!

Merge everyone into Gav and then enforce RP rules... ban anyone with stupid names... oh it could be bliss!
This is one thing I have noticed with RP players posting in these threads so far. They are very set in their ways and don't like anything that doesn't conform to their RP community.

There comes a point where the livelihood of a game outweighs the necessity of strict RP rules within 1 sub-community of the game. For example If merging into a PvE server meant I couldn't go and gank lvl 30s on my lvl 50 so be it. I really don't mind all that much losing a small part of the game for a much larger population and/or quality of game play improvement, and I expect others to feel the same. If they don't they are being extremely self-centered and selfish.
Tomthenarwhal
Ihaveabiggun Issues Cicolluis Tomthenarwhal
Fioria Fanta-Pants
Gm of <Legit>

ZIMMOZMAN
01.16.2013 , 10:10 PM | #2044
Quote: Originally Posted by Ignicity View Post
C'mon bro. After the way we've been treated (or haven't been treated), you don't think we should be able to transfer to a server of our choice?
do you have to be so rude about it, trying to discuss this in a adult manner not being like some child i want this NOW ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME.

Having transfers straight up will kill any chance of the merger working at all since everyone will leave before even trying it out.
I FEEL A DISTURBANCE IN THE FORCE

Ignicity
01.16.2013 , 10:12 PM | #2045
Quote: Originally Posted by ZIMMOZMAN View Post
do you have to be so rude about it, trying to discuss this in a adult manner not being like some child i want this NOW ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME.

Having transfers straight up will kill any chance of the merger working at all since everyone will leave before even trying it out.
Have you been here from the start? If yes, then you should know the answer to your own question.

I have no problem with a Server Merge of 3 into 1. I have posted that in this thread multiple times.

However, it comes with a caveat; that at the same time or shortly (within two weeks of the merge) offer Transfers to any server of our choice.

*EDIT* ...and I already left and re-rolled on a US PVP server.... you know... for the PVP. All I (and many others that have re-rolled on US servers since the APAC population disaster) want is the ability to use those old left behind dust covered characters on my new home server, not on a PvE centric Oceanic Super Server.

frmgod
01.16.2013 , 10:22 PM | #2046
I believe that a APAC Super Server would be a great idea. I am a PvPer on MDN and i would gladly just flag myself for PvP to have the ability to see a healthy server population. i don't know how RP players would react to this as they may not be inclined to see there RP server merged.

We all have our friends and also have played with the rest of the community and that's what servers become, giant communities.

I would be in favour of losing the PvP server in order to have that population increase and also to keep those communities together.

We Are all BOYZZZZZ just having fun let us have our merge
Trj - 55 Marauder - The Harbinger
Trja - 55 Operative - The Harbinger
Terj - 55 Juggernaut - The Harbinger

laz_AU
01.16.2013 , 10:36 PM | #2047
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post

...In this thread, please let us know what you think the best solution will be for your servers...
Optimal course if action in my opinion:

1. Merge the apac servers into a single PVE server - the reasoning around this has been described many times. Keep the awesome latency, correct prime/op times, guilds, legacies and local community whilst boosting the population

2. Offer FREE transfers FROM US servers TO the apac server - in a bid to get those APAC players that left okr rolled on US servers due to the population issues, to come back

3. Offer PAID transfers FROM apac server TO US servers - gives those who hate Pve or have some other problem with the apac server an opportunity to get out. Could possibly make this process free for PVP and RP players if that's not too complicated

4. Some form of advertising in Australia/NZ to get more people in before the release of the expansion

Asking for point 4 may be pushing it but thought I'd throw it up there anyway because I think it would be effective - I've introduced several friends that are now subscribers who had not previously heard about the game despite it being released 10 months ago. I'm sure I had some other ideas but can't recall them. May edit this at a later date when I'm not so busy with uni
Leader of Nocturnal | Impaled on The Harbinger (Ex-APAC)

The Custos Legacy
Riku - Sage Healer
Excubitor - Focus Sentinel
Equiti - Vanguard Tank/DPS

Obirayy
01.16.2013 , 10:46 PM | #2048
Quote: Originally Posted by Ignicity View Post
Have you been here from the start? If yes, then you should know the answer to your own question.

I have no problem with a Server Merge of 3 into 1. I have posted that in this thread multiple times.

However, it comes with a caveat; that at the same time or shortly (within two weeks of the merge) offer Transfers to any server of our choice.

*EDIT* ...and I already left and re-rolled on a US PVP server.... you know... for the PVP. All I (and many others that have re-rolled on US servers since the APAC population disaster) want is the ability to use those charachters on my new home server, not on a PvE centric Oceanic Super Server.
Lol sorry who's your toon? Definitely seen you on the forums before... I can also say zimas has re rolled on bastion as well.

So it sounds like you wanted to play on an APAC server but the pop was too low and you were forced to reroll on a US server, how about all APAC players get the option to transfer their characters back to the merged APAC server. Just like they did at the APAC server launch.

This will increase the APAC population and you will have a big enough population to play on with all your toons here. This will also stop the whining of the people that rerolled.

I'm suggesting this from a problem solving perspective. Not from a get what you can view.
Mum: you need to get a life.
Me: but I've already got 10!

<Two Girls One Cup>

Turiya
01.16.2013 , 10:48 PM | #2049
I noticed someone commenting that from a low-level point of view the servers are busy. This may be, but F2P has been around for what, almost 2 months now? And all I'm seeing is most of the F2P players on the low level planets and fleet. High level planets(from Empire perspective) of Voss and Corellia are pretty much dead. I can't think of a time recently that I've seen more than 20 people on either of these planets, in peak times.

Additionally endgame is still poor. Getting GF pops is hit and miss. Unless you have 2 or 3 people ready to go and you group up before-hand the wait times are still pretty high. 30 minutes + is not abnormal.

Getting pug groups together for weekly ops runs is also very difficult, even with ~130 on fleet(and this is now considered busy!).

Clearly F2P is influencing numbers on the low level end of the scale but these are yet to translate to significant uptakes in numbers of high level and endgame players. So from that point of view F2P isn't really working particularly well, regardless of the money coming in.

My $0.02,and this is similar to other suggestions I've already seen although I haven't read all of them:
  • Merge the RP and PVP servers to Dalborra
  • Establish a dedicated RP channel on Dalborra
  • Provide a 2 week grace period where anyone who has been transferred can transfer to any US server free of charge if they so wish
  • Provide free transfer to the new Oceanic server(or existing Dalborra, however it works) to anyone who re-rolled on a US server since the issue was raised BUT allow them to transfer back, free of charge, if they are unhappy with the new server

My reasonings are:
  • Dedicated RP channel will cover majority of needs of RP'ers
  • PVP server is hardly different to PVE seeing as world PVP is minimal and pretty pointless
  • anyone unhappy with the forced merge has the option to move to a higher pop US server of their choice

Cheers,
Turiya/Herem/Jehanna
The Usual Suspects
Dalborra

Ignicity
01.16.2013 , 10:50 PM | #2050
Quote: Originally Posted by Obirayy View Post
Lol sorry who's your toon? Definitely seen you on the forums before... I can also say zimas has re rolled on bastion as well.

So it sounds like you wanted to play on an APAC server but the pop was too low and you were forced to reroll on a US server, how about all APAC players get the option to transfer their characters back to the merged APAC server. Just like they did at the APAC server launch.

This will increase the APAC population and you will have a big enough population to play on with all your toons here. This will also stop the whining of the people that rerolled.

I'm suggesting this from a problem solving perspective. Not from a get what you can view.
Who's my toon?! ..On what server? I have 6 50's across 2 servers. Not sure what the point of that question was.
Hint: One of them is called Ignicity.

And for those that want to stay on the US server that they've re-rolled to? They just get shafted?