Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SerowTOR
11.19.2012 , 09:09 PM | #1081
Quote: Originally Posted by Rincewend View Post
The sad point is the ping is high if you are HK/SG/TW on the APAC servers I get a better ping from West Coast Servers. As it is now, 20-30 of us moved from APAC back at 1.2. We are still there and just run in their mornings.
Agreed, ping to the APAC servers is (roughly) double that to the West Coast servers. It'd be great if they moved the servers to SG instead, it's more centralised, so everyone in APAC benefits instead of only AU/NZ (pipe dream).

ChuangTzu
11.19.2012 , 09:10 PM | #1082
Quote: Originally Posted by scullzomben View Post
LOL nope.jpg

On Topic: Merge pls
Actually that is not far off. New York has a pop of just under 20mil, Australia's total pop is ~22mil.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

scullzomben
11.19.2012 , 09:15 PM | #1083
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowermanx View Post
LOL, in your dreams...
Learn some geography buddy.

NYC is the largest city in US, and has 8 and a quarter million.

Remind me again, how is that bigger than 22 and a half million. Lmao.

You are also so wrong on so many points in your post. CBF re-quoting, but if you think ping doesn't matter in PvE you are quite bad. Small example - The calibration droids on Kephess fight HM EC, they have a 1 second channel of a move that needs to be interrupted. Now, given a ping of 250 ms, this means that by the time that you see the actual bar appear, you have already missed 1 quarter of the opportunity to interrupt this. Factor in that also sending your interrupt back to the server also takes 250 ms, there is also 1 quarter of the opportunity missed.

So this leaves us with the bracket between 0.25 and 0.75. Now, also consider the average human reaction time is about 215 ms, and you are left with a VERY TINY window of opportunity to actually pull off this interrupt.

BUT DONT WORRY GUIZE, PING NOT IMPORTANT IN PVE LAWL.

Mowermanx
11.19.2012 , 09:15 PM | #1084
Quote: Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
Actually that is not far off. New York has a pop of just under 20mil, Australia's total pop is ~22mil.
Considering that wasnt even the point of my post, just stating how minor the consideration is for aus players.

Mowermanx
11.19.2012 , 09:18 PM | #1085
Quote: Originally Posted by scullzomben View Post
Learn some geography buddy.

NYC is the largest city in US, and has 8 and a quarter million.

Remind me again, how is that bigger than 22 and a half million. Lmao.

You are also so wrong on so many points in your post. CBF re-quoting, but if you think ping doesn't matter in PvE you are quite bad. Small example - The calibration droids on Kephess fight HM EC, they have a 1 second channel of a move that needs to be interrupted. Now, given a ping of 250 ms, this means that by the time that you see the actual bar appear, you have already missed 1 quarter of the opportunity to interrupt this. Factor in that also sending your interrupt back to the server also takes 250 ms, there is also 1 quarter of the opportunity missed.

So this leaves us with the bracket between 0.25 and 0.75. Now, also consider the average human reaction time is about 215 ms, and you are left with a VERY TINY window of opportunity to actually pull off this interrupt.

BUT DONT WORRY GUIZE, PING NOT IMPORTANT IN PVE LAWL.
haha, sounds like someones a little butthurt.

Chaori
11.19.2012 , 09:19 PM | #1086
haha, sounds like someones a little butthurt.
As much as I don't like his trolling, he's right. 250-300ms for PvE is not acceptable

Mowermanx
11.19.2012 , 09:23 PM | #1087
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaori View Post
As much as I don't like his trolling, he's right. 250-300ms for PvE is not acceptable
What are you saying? youve never played MMO's before? Im not sure I understand what you mean.

Chaori
11.19.2012 , 09:24 PM | #1088
What are you saying? youve never played MMO's before? Im not sure I understand what you mean.
I have. But the only reason I play SWTOR is because of the APAC server ping. If I want a MMO with horrible latency I'll go back to Pandas.

Cheers.

Mowermanx
11.19.2012 , 09:25 PM | #1089
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaori View Post
I have. But the only reason I play SWTOR is because of the APAC server ping. If I want a MMO with horrible latency I'll go back to Pandas.

Cheers.
Fair enough.

Bottcobco
11.19.2012 , 09:35 PM | #1090
This arguing about ping really is pointless. Some of you want to stay on the Oceanic servers. That's fine but don't expect others to feel the same. Shouting at us about ping isn't going to make us change our minds. What will is a viable population on a server. Ping doesn't mean anything if it takes 2 hours to find a group to take on that boss with a 1 second interrupt.