Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why do PvE players get armorings that aren't bound to slot, but not PvPr's?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why do PvE players get armorings that aren't bound to slot, but not PvPr's?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Glzmo's Avatar


Glzmo
09.21.2012 , 04:30 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I talked to Senior Game Balance Designer Jason Attard about mods that are bound to slots and our plans for them. Here are some comments he had about the system and its future:

Many (but not all) of our current endgame Armorings, in both PvP and PvE, are bound to specific slots. This is because some less expensive items, like gloves and boots, are much easier to acquire than "expensive" items like a Chestpiece or Helmet. We've seen that instead of acquiring an entire set of gear players would often purchase the "cheap" slots multiple times and simply move the mods over into the "expensive" items, allowing players to acquire their gear much more quickly than intended. Now that most of our offhand items have mod slots we are seeing a similar pattern occur with main hand and offhand items.

We plan to make these slot restrictions more consistent in the future, with any Armoring, Hilt, or Barrel you extract from an item becoming bound to the equipment slot you extracted it from. We do not intend to add the same slot restrictions to Modifications or Enhancements, as those item mods have a smaller impact on the overall power of the item.
It would be great if you opened all the mod slots on belts and bracers, too. It's just stupid that we can't freely choose the look of our belts and bracers because high-end armorings for the PVE and PVP belts and bracers can't be extracted.

Soljin's Avatar


Soljin
09.21.2012 , 04:55 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
They already said that offhand items are now modable.

Why can't I buy a 146 WH generic slot Armoring for 3K Ranked WZ comms? Who does this hurt?
Agreed.
Born on Bria.
Clone Zerging Since 2003!

Flying-Brian's Avatar


Flying-Brian
09.21.2012 , 05:09 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I talked to Senior Game Balance Designer Jason Attard about mods that are bound to slots and our plans for them. Here are some comments he had about the system and its future:

Many (but not all) of our current endgame Armorings, in both PvP and PvE, are bound to specific slots. This is because some less expensive items, like gloves and boots, are much easier to acquire than "expensive" items like a Chestpiece or Helmet. We've seen that instead of acquiring an entire set of gear players would often purchase the "cheap" slots multiple times and simply move the mods over into the "expensive" items, allowing players to acquire their gear much more quickly than intended. Now that most of our offhand items have mod slots we are seeing a similar pattern occur with main hand and offhand items.

We plan to make these slot restrictions more consistent in the future, with any Armoring, Hilt, or Barrel you extract from an item becoming bound to the equipment slot you extracted it from. We do not intend to add the same slot restrictions to Modifications or Enhancements, as those item mods have a smaller impact on the overall power of the item.
Wow, your design team and Senior Game Balance Designer Jason Attard has missed the point entirely why people buy a larger # of boots or gloves (because you say they are easier to acquire). It's not because they are "cheap" it's because they were the only items that have the mods or enhancements in them that are needed to fix the poor stat itemization the design team put on the gear in the first place. The locked in armoring on these pieces are either RE'd for mats or slotted to a companion, as they are no longer needed after you have 1. If the head and chest had the mods and enhancements in them that were needed, you would have seen a much higher number of them being bought. Cost isn't the issue, it's the itemization.

And if there are plans in the future to lock in hilt/barrels to the slot they came from, you better make damn sure that the stats are itemized correctly, with the proper higher main stat ones beings used for everything other then tank gear (unlike how most of the pve and pvp gear is now).

Yogol's Avatar


Yogol
09.21.2012 , 10:41 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Many (but not all) of our current endgame Armorings, in both PvP and PvE, are bound to specific slots.
The most important set, the first armor with a set bonus that you acquire, does not have it. That means that players are FORCED to play in that set untill they played OPs. And we all know that that is for hardcore people only. So you are condeming the casual players to keep their armor sets forever, instead of being able to use the armoring in better looking social sets.

But apperently Bioware prefers to focus on the few hardore players and only give them the choice. And then they wonder were all the casual players went too!

Also... we don't buy the boots & gloves just because they are cheaper, we buy them to FIX THE PROBLEMS THAT YOU CREATED with your horrible, horrible stats on the items. Which we are already saying since beta but is never adressed, at the contrary.
Yogol. Rebel without a cause. Often without a clue too.
Founder of The Fruitfly Guild, the one-day-beta-guild for one-day-beta-characters.

DustinDune's Avatar


DustinDune
09.21.2012 , 10:50 PM | #25
This will be the end of crafters. the only reason to be anything other then biochem was to learn mods, enhancements, armorings and barrels. You have now taken Armstech completely off the table. not only will barrels not be RE'able, but the good offhands that have already been learned will now just be real expensive shells. With augment tables, orange craftable gear is pretty worthless considering most styles that can be crafted have better looking versions that can drop off mobs. They might as well make a crafting skill that does mods enhancements and augments, and biochem. if they keep with bosses dropping unslotted armorings, they need to add unslotted barrels and hilt to the equation. Either one random armoring and a hilt/barrlel, or one random of the three. Another thing that might help crafters is if u RE the shell and learn the schem, u can craft the shell with the armoring, hilt, or barrel already in it. Right now it would be the same mat requirement as just crafting the slot, and it would make all crafting skills some what useful.
Mumakil - Pommel - Strakovic - Versingetorix - Shae'vizkil -
Olos'nah - Cortonk - Adorria - Kratzer - Mumakill
Rancorslayer Legacy - The Harbinger
41K+ AP

aeterno's Avatar


aeterno
09.22.2012 , 12:21 AM | #26
Wouldn't the disparity be partially fixed by simply making belts and braces moddable with bound armorings so that you can take that warhero belt and at least transfer it to an orange piece.

Ofc they'd have to balance in the relative increase of stats cos an armoring + mod give more than the stock purple but it would finally put the end to PvE modded orange being BIS for PvP.

Order-Sixty-Six's Avatar


Order-Sixty-Six
09.22.2012 , 12:23 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
Wouldn't the disparity be partially fixed by simply making belts and braces moddable with bound armorings so that you can take that warhero belt and at least transfer it to an orange piece.

Ofc they'd have to balance in the relative increase of stats cos an armoring + mod give more than the stock purple but it would finally put the end to PvE modded orange being BIS for PvP.
They probably will do this with the rest of elite warlord but it won't resolve the set bonus issue for people who want good stats with the set bonus of their choice.
Warlord Icuii Isa'Baddie of The Shadowlands.
Shadow | ( 27 0 14 )
Retired, PvP Veteran Status yea? May check back in on swtor when f2p hits or something, idk.

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
09.22.2012 , 01:05 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
They already said that offhand items are now modable.

Why can't I buy a 146 WH generic slot Armoring for 3K Ranked WZ comms? Who does this hurt?
Since you seem to not understand what I wrote, I'll tell you who it hurts. I hurts Agents and Smugglers.

Where to get Elite WH generic armoring for each class ?
- Knights/Warriors => Focus + Shield (two items)
- Consular/Inquistor => Focus + Shield (four items)
- Trooper/Bounty => Generator + Shield (four/two items)
- Smuggler/Agents => Nowhere (zero item)

discbox's Avatar


discbox
09.22.2012 , 04:04 AM | #29
Bound bound bound.

Can't hear it any more.

We want less 'bound' in the game, not more.

BioWare idi*ts!

MishraArtificer's Avatar


MishraArtificer
09.22.2012 , 10:07 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Many (but not all) of our current endgame Armorings, in both PvP and PvE, are bound to specific slots. This is because some less expensive items, like gloves and boots, are much easier to acquire than "expensive" items like a Chestpiece or Helmet. We've seen that instead of acquiring an entire set of gear players would often purchase the "cheap" slots multiple times and simply move the mods over into the "expensive" items, allowing players to acquire their gear much more quickly than intended. Now that most of our offhand items have mod slots we are seeing a similar pattern occur with main hand and offhand items.
The real reason I was wanting to get the Black Hole boots and rip the mods out was the fact that half of the Black Hole Supercommando gear has stats (Accuracy, Defense) that I DO NOT NEED, and is lacking stats (Shield, Absorption) that I DO NEED.

Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We plan to make these slot restrictions more consistent in the future, with any Armoring, Hilt, or Barrel you extract from an item becoming bound to the equipment slot you extracted it from.
Good God, I hope not...
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Twiki (with or without Dr. Theopolis), Muffet, and Wesley Crusher could form a boy band and do a Buck Rogers/BSG/Trek crossover tour, then crash on a remote asteroid, meet up with Doctoor Zee, and save themselves by making a spaceship out of random Cylon debris... and it would still be much less stupid than Jar Jar.
Behold...my referral link!