Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do PvE players get armorings that aren't bound to slot, but not PvPr's?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why do PvE players get armorings that aren't bound to slot, but not PvPr's?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Order-Sixty-Six
09.19.2012 , 01:44 PM | #1
I have to say bioware, you actually had me excited when I found out offhand armorings were not bound to slot. I'm currently one of the players that has campaign armorings in my belt/bracer and a campaign hilt in my mainhand. I'm one of the players you were targeting elite war hero towards so we wouldn't continue to do this.

Well unfortunately with the release of a new tier of PvP gear, you decided to release an equivalent tier of PvE gear alongside it, so my campaign armorings will just be upgraded to dread master equivalents - as will my hilt and offhand armorings.

My main interest in the PvP offhand armorings were so I could stop using battlemaster armorings to keep my PvE set effect with PvP armor stats. I was prepared to farm as many offhands as I could to accomplish this. But for some reason you took what would have been a smart idea to get people investing time getting PvP armorings, and turned it into the same situation it was before except even worse. Why not allow players to customize their gear the way they want to?
Warlord Icuii Isa'Baddie of The Shadowlands.
Shadow | ( 27 0 14 )
Retired, PvP Veteran Status yea? May check back in on swtor when f2p hits or something, idk.

Altheran
09.19.2012 , 01:56 PM | #2
The reason : balance. The only new stuff of the upcoming patch are weapon and off-hand item. Firstly this off-hand items allowed to upgrade the whole gear at a Elite War Hero level, but there was a class and its mirror that couldn't : Smugglers and Agents.
These classes only have weapons as off-hand items, shotriflles and knives use barrels. Not binding them to the slot would allow all classes to run with 146+ armorings on all their gear while Smugglers and Agent would be stuck at 146 armoring, meaning less damage reduction, less main stat, and less endurance... in two words : total imbalance

LeonHawkeye
09.19.2012 , 02:09 PM | #3
A better solution would be to allow armoring to be globally interchangeable and also add cheaper and more affordable off hands for dual wielding classes. Having PvP armoring being limited to certain slots is not only annoying, awkward, cumbersome but blatantly wasteful and forces the serious, end game competitive PvPers to "work and grind" for their gear; don't get me wrong a certain amount of effort and work should be involved to achieve success and especially greatness but SWTOR is going at it completely wrong. As is, the grind is not fun, preposterously pedantic and grows stale almost immediately upon beginning the process.

AllisonBerryman
09.21.2012 , 01:05 PM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I talked to Senior Game Balance Designer Jason Attard about mods that are bound to slots and our plans for them. Here are some comments he had about the system and its future:

Many (but not all) of our current endgame Armorings, in both PvP and PvE, are bound to specific slots. This is because some less expensive items, like gloves and boots, are much easier to acquire than "expensive" items like a Chestpiece or Helmet. We've seen that instead of acquiring an entire set of gear players would often purchase the "cheap" slots multiple times and simply move the mods over into the "expensive" items, allowing players to acquire their gear much more quickly than intended. Now that most of our offhand items have mod slots we are seeing a similar pattern occur with main hand and offhand items.

We plan to make these slot restrictions more consistent in the future, with any Armoring, Hilt, or Barrel you extract from an item becoming bound to the equipment slot you extracted it from. We do not intend to add the same slot restrictions to Modifications or Enhancements, as those item mods have a smaller impact on the overall power of the item.

Andryah
09.21.2012 , 01:17 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We've seen that instead of acquiring an entire set of gear players would often purchase the "cheap" slots multiple times and simply move the mods over into the "expensive" items, allowing players to acquire their gear much more quickly than intended. Now that most of our offhand items have mod slots we are seeing a similar pattern occur with main hand and offhand items.

We plan to make these slot restrictions more consistent in the future
Thanks for this.

TL;DR some players were "gaming" the intention of the designers. Some would call this exploiting, though I would not in this case, but it is a gray area. It is however gaming the system for unintended outcomes, and personally I am glad to see Bioware is attentive to this AND is working to adjust the modable gear to give players the results intended by design, while eliminating the ability to game the design intention.

Players are clever and will find every possible short cut in an MMO. It keeps the development team on their toes too.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

DarthBloodloss
09.21.2012 , 01:22 PM | #6
Thats some good clarifying info.

However I believe the question was more specifically asking about 1 certain element:

PvE:
There are "generic" armorings that can go in any slot such as a bracer.

PvP:
There are NO generic armorings to use in bracers.

Why?
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Order-Sixty-Six
09.21.2012 , 01:23 PM | #7
I talked to Senior Game Balance Designer Jason Attard about mods that are bound to slots and our plans for them. Here are some comments he had about the system and its future:

Many (but not all) of our current endgame Armorings, in both PvP and PvE, are bound to specific slots. This is because some less expensive items, like gloves and boots, are much easier to acquire than "expensive" items like a Chestpiece or Helmet. We've seen that instead of acquiring an entire set of gear players would often purchase the "cheap" slots multiple times and simply move the mods over into the "expensive" items, allowing players to acquire their gear much more quickly than intended. Now that most of our offhand items have mod slots we are seeing a similar pattern occur with main hand and offhand items.

We plan to make these slot restrictions more consistent in the future, with any Armoring, Hilt, or Barrel you extract from an item becoming bound to the equipment slot you extracted it from. We do not intend to add the same slot restrictions to Modifications or Enhancements, as those item mods have a smaller impact on the overall power of the item.
What he's not taking into consideration is the war hero offhand is tied with mainhand for the most expensive item piece to purchase. I'm not suggesting to set it up where everyone is farming cheap boots for their guts to place inside of their chestpeice to avoid cost. I'm actually suggesting doing something quite the opposite - buying the most expensive armor peice to modify cheaper items that don't have the desired armorings available for them.

For example, If I want a war hero armoring without a set effect bound to it - what do I do?

With the offhands the way they were previously - they didn't have a set effect and weren't bound to slot so I could do this at a steeper cost than I would with traditional gearing methods, something I'm fine with. Another suggestion would be to add pvp set that doesn't have set bonus bound to it's armorings and then we could purchase the individual gear pieces for their bound to slot armorings. Currently the only way to do this is with lower tier battlemaster armorings.

PvE players can currently do this because black hole armorings don't carry set effects, so they're free to chose between all the PvE and PvP set effects. PvP'rs are limited to PvP set effects or using lower tier armorings to achieve alternate set effects. They also are able to obtain armorings from loot tables that aren't bound to slot or carry a set effect.
Warlord Icuii Isa'Baddie of The Shadowlands.
Shadow | ( 27 0 14 )
Retired, PvP Veteran Status yea? May check back in on swtor when f2p hits or something, idk.

Soljin
09.21.2012 , 01:23 PM | #8
Ok so fair is fair....Remove all none slot specific armorings from PvE endgame loot tables. Then PvP folks dont have to Farm PVE encounters to Get armorings for their Wrist and Belt...Because no one else will have them either. Fixed.

Oh and on this note...BW any tips on what to do with the 4 glove, and 4 boots WH armorings that I have laying around my bank from fixing the horrible itemization of your gear?

We are not children(you dont have to punish us because your design had a loop hole) stop worrying so much about this kind of pointless dribble....Average the prices across all pieces and then remove the Slot specific tag then no one can buy the cheap pieces because there are none.....Instead you created an inconvenient complicated mess with armorings....Pfft.
Born on Bria.
Clone Zerging Since 2003!

Andryah
09.21.2012 , 01:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Soljin View Post
We are not children(you dont have to punish us because your design had a loop hole) stop worrying so much about this kind of pointless dribble....Average the prices across all pieces and then remove the Slot specific tag then no one can buy the cheap pieces because there are none.....Instead you created an inconvenient complicated mess with armorings....Pfft.
And... the developers take an arrow of rudeness to the knee.

Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Lord_Karsk
09.21.2012 , 01:35 PM | #10

Way to miss out on the entire POINT

People who raid can get 25 armorings to put in belts and bracers they can mod, PvP players can not get
these armoring ! PvP players are forced to use the default ugly gear from the vendors.