Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gentlemen, I present to you…THE ULTIMATE POST.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Gentlemen, I present to you…THE ULTIMATE POST.

H-aTreD's Avatar


H-aTreD
09.20.2012 , 12:23 AM | #21
I wish we had a bounty system in the game. A few of the things people seem to have issue with are:

1) "The Bounty Hunter is only on the Imperial side of things".
- What if we're to make the Trooper in addition to the Bounty Hunter to be able to go hunting via an arrest warrent vs the player bounty so both factions have the ability to do this.

2) "I don't want to be forced into something.."
- Make it like SWG did, and have it be initiated via PvP in the first place. If you're killed by player A you have the option to put a bounty/arrest warrent on them and the credits come out of your pocket and placed on the board for Bounty Hunters/Troopers to pick up. So simply put, if you don't want to partake in PvP, you don't have to and those of us who do, can.

3) "How would you make it so when someone has your bounty you don't just go to your factions fleet and hide"
- I'd say this is one of the bigger problems. By telling the person they have a bounty/arrest warrent on their head, chances are they will go hide. By not telling the player someone is hunting them, if they partake in PvP they should be watching their backs from every Bounty Hunter/Trooper that is around them. This only adds excitement to the game for both the hunter and the huntee'. As far as the planets themselves or the safe zones, I'm not sure since a lot of the planets are seperated and not within reach of the other faction, some of the contracts would only be able to be hunted by the same faction if they were in these sections? I'm not sure how I feel about this but I'm sure there's an idea for it somewhere out in internet land.

4) "If no one puts a bounty/arrest warrent on someone then there wouldn't be very many contracts available"
- Very true, however if you put it to every 20 kills nets you a 1k bounty (just numbers for sake of arguement) then if you PvP'd you'd be taking part in it even if you didn't want to put your own credits up.

5) "How would we know when our bounties/arrest warrents were online or off"
- Well, we'd have to do something along the lines of the bounty/arrest warrents would only be available if the target was online. So if you were to go grab a bounty/arrest warrent from the board, you'd only see the ones available for those who were currently online. If while you were tracking someone and they went offline, your bounty/arrest warrent would no longer be available. This would prevent people from holding their own bounties from others trying to collect. If while you're hunting them and enguage in combat, the player is not able to log off, go into an instance, quick travel/fleet pass, ect..

I do like your ideas on the titles but don't agree with how they'd be given, for instance letting the hunted know they are being hunted is a problem. Just don't tell them, plain and simple. Your titles could still be rewarded to them for the same things basically, just that they'd get them from fending off hunters, evading them for however long, ect ect..

I don't have all the answers but I do know how much I loved Bounty Hunting in SWG as well as being the hunted. It is some of my favorite memories from that game and a big part of the Star Wars universe and I feel it should have it's place here in SWTOR.

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.20.2012 , 09:00 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by H-aTreD View Post
I do like your ideas on the titles but don't agree with how they'd be given, for instance letting the hunted know they are being hunted is a problem. Just don't tell them, plain and simple. Your titles could still be rewarded to them for the same things basically, just that they'd get them from fending off hunters, evading them for however long, ect ect...
There might be something to that. Not warning players that they're being hunted might be something to explore. However, the way you presented the issue actually made me think of a new approach: say you were warned that you're being hunted by the hunter himself through a conversation that would take place between you and him, via holo-com, a kind of war-of-wits preluding the actual showdown. The hunter or prey would receive either a minor boost to their stats, or a penalty, depending on the outcome of the conversation, which in turn would be dictated by how filled your social meter was (refer back to the FLASHPOINTS section to see what I mean by the social meter). Think of it as a variation of insult sword-fighting.

Oooh, this is shaping up quite nicely.

Maniple's Avatar


Maniple
09.20.2012 , 02:48 PM | #23
Easy fix to the PVP/PVE argument. Make it an option to be available for bounties (on the part of the hunted) but make it worthwhile enough via in game benefits that people even on PVE servers will want to do it. I have little interest in PVP itself, but the idea of outwitting a hunter or sneaking away from him sounds awesome.

This got me thinking about how the story line with my smuggler could be improved- Give me some optional missions to actually smuggle something in game as a daily or weekly mission that has a big reward but also puts me on the bounty board. This way I have two options for daily missions- the safe, group-oriented PVE missions or the more dangerous, but more lucrative "bounty-worthy" missions. I would be totally in for that.

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.20.2012 , 05:41 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Maniple View Post
Easy fix to the PVP/PVE argument. Make it an option to be available for bounties (on the part of the hunted) but make it worthwhile enough via in game benefits that people even on PVE servers will want to do it. I have little interest in PVP itself, but the idea of outwitting a hunter or sneaking away from him sounds awesome.

This got me thinking about how the story line with my smuggler could be improved- Give me some optional missions to actually smuggle something in game as a daily or weekly mission that has a big reward but also puts me on the bounty board. This way I have two options for daily missions- the safe, group-oriented PVE missions or the more dangerous, but more lucrative "bounty-worthy" missions. I would be totally in for that.
If you read my post on the Bounty Hunter class (which is still a work in progress) you'll have noticed that I addressed this very same issue of how to make Bounty Hunting an inciting proposition for the prey.

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.22.2012 , 05:06 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by KindlyOne View Post
Adaptive Conversation System
I like it. I think it'd be pretty entertaining. Trouble is, Bioware tried that with Dragon Age 2, I believe, but the impact seem rather negligible for the huge cost involved. I believe most players did not notice the difference because players tend not to fluctuate, so what happened was, for most players, their character's attitude swung one way and one way only. And so all the additional content didn't get the chance to be shown.

Personally, I'd be very entertained by it, but it just costs so much for such a marginal benefit to the player.

Cantina
Not sure where you're going with this. It sounds like fluff, but it's a hit and miss. For me, it's a miss. If given the choice of choosing some other feature, any other feature, I'd choose the other feature over this one. Sorry.

Classes: Bounty Hunter
Wasn't this done to some extent in SWG? Not a big deal though. It sounds intriguing. Can you get an entire guild to consecutively put out bounties on one character that you hate so that character can't leave the planet for days at a time?

My gut feeling is that these sort of feature works best in a full sim environment, like EVE online. SWTOR is aimed at a different kind of audience, one that is a lot more time constrained, and less likely to put up with this type of disruption to their plans, be it raiding or just logging on to do warzone dailies.

Companions
They already have a lot of flavour text. Just walk about the planets. Coruscant, especially, entering Dark Sun territory, Senate Tower, Senate Plaza, Slums, etc. Your companions will have something to say. Not all of them comment at the same places or for the same reasons. Kira Carson, for example, has lots to say about Taris locations.

I do like the other stuff you mentioned, like the cat-fight between Akaavi Spar and Risha, but it's very high cost content. It's entertaining as hell, but it gets consumed in a manner of minutes and it takes days to implement, not factoring cost for voice actors, staging, writing, etc.

A more feasible alternative would be like Leliana's dialogue options in Dragon Age, where you could always have a chat with her to get her to tell you one of her many stories. For SWTOR, it'd be nice once you've finished your companion storyline, to maybe just have a chat with them to hear their own stories or their interpretation of your major decisions in Acts I, II, and III. Sure, it's repeated, it's essentially listening to a story again, but it's better than the nothing you get now once your storyline is over.

Emotes
So you're saying that every SWTOR player now has to buy Kinect or similar device? I wasn't aware that the technology was so widespread on PCs.

Jedi Temple
That sounds kind of cool. How do Imperial players sneak inside the Jedi Temple for the archives though? And wait, weren't the majority of the archives destroyed by the Sacking of Coruscant? The library in the Jedi Temple on Tython is just what they managed to salvage.

World of Warcraft had something like that for cinematic shown when the major boss of the current expansion was defeated. Players that brought down the boss for the first time on the server unlocked the feature for other players to view.

I'd personally like to review the cinematics for the operations. Cause they had storylines, conversations, etc. Was really entertaining, especially the one you get for defeated Kephess. Too bad it was once-only. Would be nice if there was a holocron of the event that you could use on fleet.

The Kaon/Lost Island series was excellent too.

Flashpoint Conversations
Seems like the idea is to introduce an interrupts system that allows players to cut into the conversation being played out by other players. I don't see how makes this a more dynamic system. People will simply revert to interrupt as soon as they can, it becomes the new space-bar.

Player Housing
I thought ships were the player housing. All they'd need to a feature to allow us to decorate our ships (and I don't mean the current legacy unlocks.)

Sprint Ability
Sorry, but I hate this idea. The big problem with having sprint available at level 14, was that it created a dichotomy for groups at that level. People under level 14 could not move as a group due to them not having sprint. I remember what a pain it used to be. Vehicles weren't as much of a problem because for most flashpoints or instanced areas, you could not mount up on your speeder.

Also don't people unlock their Legacy at the end of chapter 2? That's a lot of levels where you won't have sprint.

I don't want to see people in Ord Mantell having group issues because they're in a mixed group of people completely new to the game and people with Legacy 1 unlocked.

Holoterminal
Don't click on it. But yeah, I guess we could have that disabled if you can't stop yourself from clicking on it.

Fleet
Sorry. I don't like this suggestion because I see it as a bad solution in search of a problem. Sure, for a newbie, fleet can get confusing. Why not fly someone directly to Coruscant after they leave the starting world? Just move the intro NPCs to Coruscant/Dromund Kaas and be done.

I don't like the idea of additional layers of segregation. WAR did that with their four tiers of content, making it troublesome for guildies to help each other out across different levels.

Huttball
For every player that hates Huttball, there's a player who loves it. Me? I don't care either way.

World Bosses
Nope. I hate world bosses. The engine doesn't handle them well. And some, like Nightmare Pilgrim, are so easy to disrupt (sure, it's a reportable offense, but it still ruins your night.) Also difficulty ramping is steep. You have Primal Destroyer, which is doable by most groups, the one in Hoth, which I can't remember the name of, (not Snowblind, the other one,) and then you get Nightmare Pilgrim, which requires two full groups of people decked in Rakata as their average gear level.

But yeah, a spiffy codex entry might be entertaining.

Group Finder
Nope. Sorry. Strongly disagree with you there. Group Finder is very buggy, and it lacks features, but the concept is good. It is in-keeping with the audience for which SWTOR was designed. That is to say, SWTOR players don't want to have to sit around in Republic Fleet hoping to form a group. They have limited time to play each day. They want to get things done. Group Finder helps this.

Travel
You want to kill a specific world boss? You got to the respective planet. You want to meet up for the role-playing event at the cantina on Nar Shaddaa? You have to go there. You want to do operations? Go meet up at Gav Daragon. You want two guilds to meet head on in a grudge match? Go to Tatooine's No Man's Land.

But I think I understand what you're saying. You're really talking about fluff that each planet could offer the player that is irregardless of leveling, wealth, gear, etc. Aren't you? Sure, I guess. Can't say no to more variety.

Player Role
This seems to be not so much player role, but impact on the server world based on player outcomes. It's a really intriguing idea. Reminds me of DAoC and how control of the relics and different keeps would grant bonuses to the players, given each realm a massive incentive to defend their lands.

I like the idea though, but it's like sitting on a pile of explosives. People tend to jump ship from the losing side. If losing warzones lead to penalties to the losing side, what do you think happen? DAoC could do it because they had three sides. If one side dominated, the other two factions would team up to mitigate the imbalance.

Sound
The grunt on jump is your personal preference. Maybe there should be an option to turn this on or off. I think most players will turn it off. As for the other stuff, I'm actually amused. SWTOR has many faults, but sound isn't one of them. SWTOR has some pretty amazing sound effects and music. So yeah, I'm quite amused that you'd find fault with it. But to each his/her own.

UI Design
Yeah. This is your personal preference. Sorry. Don't agree with you. I may hate the default layout, but at least I can move things around. That's essentially what 1.2 did. It gave me some ability to rearrange my UI to how I prefer it.

Voices
I agree with you. It does seem odd. But that's not a big issue for me in terms of all the other issues I have with SWTOR.
Even though you have some constructive thoughts, I think you need to re-read the Group Finder, U.I. Design, and Fleet sections a bit more carefully.

Eeleek's Avatar


Eeleek
09.22.2012 , 07:53 AM | #26
Very Nice post, i see you put alot of effort into writing and 98% i agree TBH.

Kalabakk's Avatar


Kalabakk
09.22.2012 , 08:05 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by mourasantos View Post
If you're not forced, then you ought to be. The distinction made between PVE and PVP servers is artificial, and one of the many outmoded tropes of MMOs that need to be well and truly done away with in order for the genre to survive.
You've got to be kidding. We should be forced to PvP??? You should never force someone into a scenario like that. The player should always have the choice. This also applies to the suggestion of forcing a bounty system on people who may not want to participate. I would never support a bounty system that forced it on me. If you wanted something that was disabled by default and required players to opt-in, then fine.

I understand that players prefer different play styles than mine, but the current setup allows you do play however you want without forcing it on you. If you want to PvP, then go for it, but don't force me to do it.

For what it's worth, I recall a few polls back in the beta talking about people's play style. Only 30-40% of them identified themselves as PvP players. Even if you went the route of forcing a play style on everyone, I don't think you'd do it for the minority like that.

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.22.2012 , 10:17 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalabakk View Post
You've got to be kidding. We should be forced to PvP??? You should never force someone into a scenario like that. The player should always have the choice. This also applies to the suggestion of forcing a bounty system on people who may not want to participate. I would never support a bounty system that forced it on me. If you wanted something that was disabled by default and required players to opt-in, then fine.

I understand that players prefer different play styles than mine, but the current setup allows you do play however you want without forcing it on you. If you want to PvP, then go for it, but don't force me to do it.

For what it's worth, I recall a few polls back in the beta talking about people's play style. Only 30-40% of them identified themselves as PvP players. Even if you went the route of forcing a play style on everyone, I don't think you'd do it for the minority like that.
First of all, nice nickname. Inspired by the New Gods?

As for your point, I don't believe the results of those polls are in any way elucidating, given that they're merely representative of a niche player-base—in other words, the typical MMO crowd—who're already predisposed to gravitate towards this kind of game.

I'd be much more interested in a poll that questions casual players with no prior MMO experience. Those are the people Bioware should be gunning for. If they captured that crowd's attention this game would stand the chance of becoming the single most profitable entertainment enterprise ever.

Kalabakk's Avatar


Kalabakk
09.22.2012 , 10:55 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by mourasantos View Post
First of all, nice nickname. Inspired by the New Gods?

As for your point, I don't believe the results of those polls are in any way elucidating, given that they're merely representative of a niche player-base—in other words, the typical MMO crowd—who're already predisposed to gravitate towards this kind of game.

I'd be much more interested in a poll that questions casual players with no prior MMO experience. Those are the people Bioware should be gunning for. If they captured that crowd's attention this game would stand the chance of becoming the single most profitable entertainment enterprise ever.
The nickname is actually back from Star Wars Galaxies. It was the name of my main character there, a Wookiee entertainer. I don't even know what New Gods is, so I'd have to say no to that.

Even setting polls and such aside, I still don't think it should be an all or nothing proposition. If you want to give people a choice to PvP or participate in a bounty system, I have no problem with that. I just don't like the idea of having those things forced on me.

In a choice system, everyone wins. You can participate if you want or choose not to do so -- everyone gets what they want. In a forced system, you will have a good percentage of your player base that won't be happy. Why alienate them when a simple choice would accomplish everyone's desires? You can bring in new players that enjoy PvP as well as those that do not.

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.22.2012 , 11:00 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalabakk View Post
The nickname is actually back from Star Wars Galaxies. It was the name of my main character there, a Wookiee entertainer. I don't even know what New Gods is, so I'd have to say no to that.

Even setting polls and such aside, I still don't think it should be an all or nothing proposition. If you want to give people a choice to PvP or participate in a bounty system, I have no problem with that. I just don't like the idea of having those things forced on me.

In a choice system, everyone wins. You can participate if you want or choose not to do so -- everyone gets what they want. In a forced system, you will have a good percentage of your player base that won't be happy. Why alienate them when a simple choice would accomplish everyone's desires? You can bring in new players that enjoy PvP as well as those that do not.
I'm a firm believer that if you design a game right you can make everyone into a PVPer, everyone into a Roleplayer, and everyone into a...well, everyone's a PVE'r anyway, regardless...but you get my meaning.
As for the New Gods reference, check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalibak