Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gentlemen, I present to you…THE ULTIMATE POST.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Gentlemen, I present to you…THE ULTIMATE POST.

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.19.2012 , 03:11 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
When you have 1,000 actors voicing 4,000 characters and performing 200,000 lines of quest dialog in three languages it sure is possible.
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/new...ce-acting.html

http://tor.zam.com/story.html?story=28811
Are these figures correct? If they are, you sure as hell wouldn't know it from the game -- half the NPC's seem to be voiced by the same person. Sounds more like a marketing strategy to me. Any two-bit voice-actor is more than capable of voicing several characters at once, and I highly doubt Bioware would be dumb enough to waste such a ludicrious amount of money hiring a horde of different voice-actors.

fresnosmokey's Avatar


fresnosmokey
09.19.2012 , 03:16 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by mourasantos View Post
If you're not forced, then you ought to be. The distinction made between PVE and PVP servers is artificial, and one of the many outmoded tropes of MMOs that need to be well and truly done away with in order for the genre to survive.
You really need to stop thinking that you're way is the only way. If there was no demand for pve, there would be no pve servers, but they exist and they're heavily populated. Not just here, but in other MMO's, as well. You say that pve is artificial and outmoded and needs to be done away with for MMO's to survive? That's your opinion, buddy. Opinion. And it isn't any more valid that anyone else's opinion. And in my opinion, you are wrong (which, again, isn't any more valid that anyone else's opinion).

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.19.2012 , 03:25 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by fresnosmokey View Post
You really need to stop thinking that you're way is the only way. If there was no demand for pve, there would be no pve servers, but they exist and they're heavily populated. Not just here, but in other MMO's, as well. You say that pve is artificial and outmoded and needs to be done away with for MMO's to survive? That's your opinion, buddy. Opinion. And it isn't any more valid that anyone else's opinion. And in my opinion, you are wrong (which, again, isn't any more valid that anyone else's opinion).
If you genuinely believed that then you wouldn't really go through the trouble of sharing yours with the rest of the world, now would you? But getting back to the topic at hand, it's my understanding that the onset of PVE-PVP server distinctions came well after the rise of MMOs, and that several of the most succesful mainstaples of the genre managed very well without them.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
09.19.2012 , 04:14 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by mourasantos View Post
If you really believed that then you wouldn't really go through the trouble of sharing yours with the rest of the world, now would you? But getting back to the topic at hand, it's my understanding that the onset of PVE-PVP server distinctions came well after the rise of MMOs, and that several of the most succesful mainstaples of the genre managed very well without them.
That's because early MMOs did not have PvP. back then PvP was the exclusive purview of FPS games. Back then MMOs were exclusively PvE.

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.19.2012 , 05:20 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
That's because early MMOs did not have PvP. back then PvP was the exclusive purview of FPS games. Back then MMOs were exclusively PvE.
A perfunctory read of wikipedia indicates otherwise. Apparently PVP's roots stretch all the way back to MUD times. As far as the more modern conception of MMO's are concerned, some of the genre's archetypal entries, such as Neverwinter Nights, saw it implemented as well.

fresnosmokey's Avatar


fresnosmokey
09.19.2012 , 06:09 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by mourasantos View Post
A perfunctory read of wikipedia indicates otherwise. Apparently PVP's roots stretch all the way back to MUD times. As far as the more modern conception of MMO's are concerned, some of the genre's archetypal entries, such as Neverwinter Nights, saw it implemented as well.
Give it up. Too many people like pve for MMO's to eliminate that style. It just isn't going to happen any time soon, so you may as well forget it. There is no reason why you can't have what you want on a pvp server. For the life of me, I can't understand why people like you can't be satisfied playing your own game and have to screw with the way other's enjoy their games. I bought this game as advertised and pay my monthly sub. I will play the game I paid for the way I want within BW's TOS. Plenty of people that will jump on your bandwagon on pvp servers. Go there, play your own game, and leave ours alone.

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.19.2012 , 06:55 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by fresnosmokey View Post
Give it up. Too many people like pve for MMO's to eliminate that style. It just isn't going to happen any time soon, so you may as well forget it. There is no reason why you can't have what you want on a pvp server. For the life of me, I can't understand why people like you can't be satisfied playing your own game and have to screw with the way other's enjoy their games. I bought this game as advertised and pay my monthly sub. I will play the game I paid for the way I want within BW's TOS. Plenty of people that will jump on your bandwagon on pvp servers. Go there, play your own game, and leave ours alone.
You seem to have mistaken me for some kind of rabid PVP fan, but the truth is I'm not all that excited about it. Particularly in this game. You see, Bioware's pig-headed insistence to cling to the standard MMO combat model (a stats-centric system posessing about as much appeal for the masses as advanced calculus) has made it so I tend to avoid it more often than not. In fact I'd much rather engage in PVE scenarios. That said, I maintain the distinction made between these two is an artificial one. It exists in no other game genre as far as I'm aware, and they've had a history of doing a whole lot better than MMO's have (particularly as of late).

Understand that in the grand scheme of things your personal approach to gaming is a highly idiosyncratic one that's not shared by the majority. By majority I mean the huge, criminally untapped (as far as MMOs are concerned) portion of the market that consists of a more casual player-base, the kind of people for whom PVP-PVE server distinctions serve as no more than just another obstruction, another layer of exclusion in a genre that already suffers far too much from a lack of inclusivity.

Srual's Avatar


Srual
09.19.2012 , 07:25 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by mourasantos View Post
You seem to have mistaken me for some kind of rabid PVP fan.
Quote: Originally Posted by mourasantos View Post
If you're not forced, then you ought to be. .
Just sayin'

fresnosmokey's Avatar


fresnosmokey
09.19.2012 , 07:31 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by mourasantos View Post
You seem to have mistaken me for some kind of rabid PVP fan, but the truth is I'm not all that excited about it. Particularly in this game. You see, Bioware's pig-headed insistence to cling to the standard MMO combat model (a stats-centric system posessing about as much appeal for the masses as advanced calculus) has made it so I tend to avoid it more often than not. In fact I'd much rather engage in PVE scenarios. That said, I maintain the distinction made between these two is an artificial one. It exists in no other game genre as far as I'm aware, and they've had a history of doing a whole lot better than MMO's have (particularly as of late).

Understand that in the grand scheme of things your personal approach to gaming is a highly idiosyncratic one that's not shared by the majority. By majority I mean the huge, criminally untapped (as far as MMOs are concerned) portion of the market that consists of a more casual player-base, the kind of people for whom PVP-PVE server distinctions serve as no more than just another obstruction, another layer of exclusion in a genre that already suffers far too much from a lack of inclusivity.
There are pvp servers and pve servers. Go where you fit and there is no exclusion. However, it seems that there are people who want to control how other people play their game rather than focusing on their own game. My playstyle makes money. Period. If pve didn't make money, it wouldn't exist, yet half the servers on SWTOR are pve and (IIRC) about half of WoW's servers are pve. So there being some big want/need for everyone who plays to pvp is all in your mind.

mourasantos's Avatar


mourasantos
09.19.2012 , 08:11 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by fresnosmokey View Post
There are pvp servers and pve servers. Go where you fit and there is no exclusion. However, it seems that there are people who want to control how other people play their game rather than focusing on their own game. My playstyle makes money. Period. If pve didn't make money, it wouldn't exist, yet half the servers on SWTOR are pve and (IIRC) about half of WoW's servers are pve. So there being some big want/need for everyone who plays to pvp is all in your mind.
Games make money, not servers.

SWTOR is my first MMO, and I rolled my main on a PVE server myself. The reason why I did this was due to its description, which misled me into thinking the PVP variant focused primarily, or even exclusively, on highly competitive matches between players, to the detriment of what interested me the most—story (I suspect this happens to a lot of other new players as well, which may account for PVE's continued popularity). However, once I had advanced far enough into the game I began to realize it wasn't the intrusive playstyle it had been made out to be, that an MMO based on the Star Wars IP beckons for some kind of competitive element between the opposing factions, that PVP scenarios are, in a sense, its raison d'etre. As you can imagine, I've since regretted my decision.