Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I was John on The Harbinger....

Lowarro
09.18.2012 , 08:23 PM | #1
I am an alt-aholic but my favorite SWTOR character will always be my first, my main. I pre-ordered collectors edition from a few sites because the first company was slow with the code for early access. I took the first day of early access off of work and made sure to get online as soon as possible because I knew what name I wanted for my main character, and I knew I had to get it early if I was going to get it. I wanted my name, John, because this character was going to be me.

John was my first character, created early on the morning of first day of early access. Always my highest level character, he finished act 2 under level so I could get my last name as a legacy name. First to 50 and still my favorite story and combat style.

When the free character transfer happened I knew I would never move John because that name would be taken on any destination server. Luckily he was created on The Harbinger, which became a destination server, so there was never the need.

When I logged in today, expecting to need to rename some characters that I had created on Vonsker when Harbinger was down I was shocked to discover that John had the red exclamation point indicating he had lost his name. He's my oldest, favorite character. Level 50 and likely older than any John's that might merge in. How is it that he lost his name?

ItsToof
09.18.2012 , 08:25 PM | #2
Call him IwasJohnFirst
My specs:
Low spec, bro

xkellyx
09.18.2012 , 08:27 PM | #3
It was stated on another thread from a player who called CS that the name changes were random and by no seniority at all. Sorry John.
All your are belong to us!

Knockerz
09.18.2012 , 08:29 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowarro View Post
I am an alt-aholic but my favorite SWTOR character will always be my first, my main. I pre-ordered collectors edition from a few sites because the first company was slow with the code for early access. I took the first day of early access off of work and made sure to get online as soon as possible because I knew what name I wanted for my main character, and I knew I had to get it early if I was going to get it. I wanted my name, John, because this character was going to be me.

John was my first character, created early on the morning of first day of early access. Always my highest level character, he finished act 2 under level so I could get my last name as a legacy name. First to 50 and still my favorite story and combat style.

When the free character transfer happened I knew I would never move John because that name would be taken on any destination server. Luckily he was created on The Harbinger, which became a destination server, so there was never the need.

When I logged in today, expecting to need to rename some characters that I had created on Vonsker when Harbinger was down I was shocked to discover that John had the red exclamation point indicating he had lost his name. He's my oldest, favorite character. Level 50 and likely older than any John's that might merge in. How is it that he lost his name?
Just cancel already. BW screw the pooch on this one again.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess

Anarchistic
09.18.2012 , 08:32 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowarro View Post
I think he is asking why he has to change his name as he was on Harbinger from day one and it is the destination server, he did not move there but was always there.

CadaKai
09.18.2012 , 08:41 PM | #6
because everyone moved today. The new servers are new servers they just happen to have the same name as some of the old servers.
BW should have renamed them entirely to avoid confusion.

Lowarro
09.18.2012 , 09:30 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Knockerz View Post
I enjoy the game too much to just cancel. However before this happened I was planning on continuing subscription even through free to play, now I don't think I want to give them anymore money. Once it goes free to play, I will likely drop the sub now and not give them another penny.

Houzukimaru
09.18.2012 , 10:06 PM | #8
I love how Knockerz's answer in every thread is cancel. Cancelled, is proud of it, yet still comes to the game's forums.
Lieutenant Mij Galaar
2nd Assault Platoon Commander
Alpha Company
203rd Republic Expeditionary Legion

Greyshadow
09.18.2012 , 10:11 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CadaKai View Post
because everyone moved today. The new servers are new servers they just happen to have the same name as some of the old servers.
BW should have renamed them entirely to avoid confusion.
As I posted here, I wouldn't be so sure of that:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...8&postcount=31

KinCharBamin
09.18.2012 , 10:21 PM | #10
Dear John;

We got your Money, now go play quietly or go away.

BW.

Quote: Originally Posted by Knockerz View Post
There have got to be some really sore Pooches at BW for sure as they have been making all sorts of bad calls.
I have a question, where did all those old servers go? Did they sell them to someone? I'll bet that improves EA's bottom line for the 4th Quarter. It certainly will improve the Characters Per Server ratio (more slots per server+ less servers = some number that looks good in an annual report).

F2P, it's the way to be!
Kin-Char Bamin, Jedi Knight
The MTV Jedi
http://www.kincharbamin.com