Leveling without side quest's

TurtleJoe

Hi I was wondering if leveling without side quest's is a viable way to play SWTOR. Because after a level 50 alt on both the Empire and Republic side I am not really enjoying repeating side quest's. What I wanted to do was level up my character to 10 then from there only do PvP, Flashpoints, Heroics and my Class quest. So my question is, is this possible without having like a 50% EXP loss compared to questing the normal way?

It is possible. I have a character well on the way past level 40 and only completed a handful of Area and the odd Planet quest just to keep my level up. Boosting the XP with Flashpoints, Space and PvP as well as the class quest gives plenty if done right.

I felt the same way after getting 4 characters to 50 and wanted to try without doing every side quest or even every planet quest. So far so good.

I have done it with all but 2 of my characters. I do my class quest and the main planet quest line and skip everything else. Then I do PVP to make up the XP shortage. If you get the Legacy perks for Class Quest XP and PVP XP it works even better of course.

what do you consider to be the main planet quest line, do you just see the bonus series as the main planet quest line? just curious

On most planets there is a quest line you pick up inside or just outside the space port that takes you through all the areas of the planet.

For shure and each planetwide mission line give you plenty of xp I skipped alot of them so my main is a bit underleveled for Belsavis but seems to be able to hold its own. I dont plan on making the same mistake with my alts. Sometimes it pays to screw up on your main so you know what not to do when it comes time for leveling your alts.

Hi I was wondering if leveling without side quest's is a viable way to play SWTOR. Because after a level 50 alt on both the Empire and Republic side I am not really enjoying repeating side quest's. What I wanted to do was level up my character to 10 then from there only do PvP, Flashpoints, Heroics and my Class quest. So my question is, is this possible without having like a 50% EXP loss compared to questing the normal way?

The good news is that you can do it, pretty much, how ever you want. When I get tired of doing the planet and side quests, I just go do PVP, flash points, space missions or just run around mindlessly killing mobs and harvesting credits and mats.

Bump yourself up a level or 2 above the max level of the planet and then just do the class quests. Its completely up to you!

No.

No.

No.

And for the next ten callers only, hell no.

I would love to say yes. I have seven alts just so I can see all of the class stories. You can guess how annoying it is to have to do all the side quests again and have to stop for all the Heroic Missions and group for them another seven times because I learned the hard way on my main that you can't just trust Flashpoints, dropped commendations, and the GTN to give you the gear you need to complete the class story.

First of all, as weird as this is going to sound, the best gear you can get for your companions are the ones that drop from quests. I have no idea why. I just noticed that giving Jorgan his quest gear made leveling with him a lot easier than it was just giving Vette whatever I found on the ground or the GTN and sacrificing her gear for comms. Oh, by the way, you don't get anywhere near enough comms from regular quests to mod your gear worth anything, so sometimes you have to do the Heroic Missions for the free mods. And most of the time the ones that drop orange mod gear are 4-mans. Yaaaay.

I hate to admit it, but leveling my alts doing the "right" way was a hell of a lot easier than trying to cheat the system to get my main to 50 as quickly as possible. The "right" way being doing the side missions, including Heroics. Though I still cheat the system by looking up the Heroic Mission rewards on Torhead to check and see if they're worth the hassle.

That being said, this is only the case if you want to do the class missions at the appropriate level. If you want to PvP and Flashpoint all the way to 50 and then do the class missions, by all means overlevel to your hearts content and ROFLstomp Tarro Blood through a bulkhead.

As everyone except the previous poster has said ;) it's very possible to play without doing the side quests.

Note though that leveling through PVP is significantly slower than questing, but in my opinion it doesn't matter if it's slower if you enjoy playing PVP. That's what I do, since in my opinion once you've done the side quests once, doing them again on a different character on the same faction is not as fun.

However I do still like the main planet quest chains, they are usually the first quest you pick up as you land on the planet, and will on most planets follow you through the different zones on the map as you travel around doing the class story, so I do those.

No.

No.

No.

And for the next ten callers only, hell no.

I would love to say yes. I have seven alts just so I can see all of the class stories. You can guess how annoying it is to have to do all the side quests again and have to stop for all the Heroic Missions and group for them another seven times because I learned the hard way on my main that you can't just trust Flashpoints, dropped commendations, and the GTN to give you the gear you need to complete the class story.

First of all, as weird as this is going to sound, the best gear you can get for your companions are the ones that drop from quests. I have no idea why. I just noticed that giving Jorgan his quest gear made leveling with him a lot easier than it was just giving Vette whatever I found on the ground or the GTN and sacrificing her gear for comms. Oh, by the way, you don't get anywhere near enough comms from regular quests to mod your gear worth anything, so sometimes you have to do the Heroic Missions for the free mods. And most of the time the ones that drop orange mod gear are 4-mans. Yaaaay.

I hate to admit it, but leveling my alts doing the "right" way was a hell of a lot easier than trying to cheat the system to get my main to 50 as quickly as possible. The "right" way being doing the side missions, including Heroics. Though I still cheat the system by looking up the Heroic Mission rewards on Torhead to check and see if they're worth the hassle.

That being said, this is only the case if you want to do the class missions at the appropriate level. If you want to PvP and Flashpoint all the way to 50 and then do the class missions, by all means overlevel to your hearts content and ROFLstomp Tarro Blood through a bulkhead.

I disagree, with the caveat that what I'm about to say works for alts but not your first character.

My first two characters did every quest on every planet but on my third character I only did the class quest and main planet quest on planets after Tatooine. I ran a lot of Flashpoints instead but didn't take the XP perk because I didn't need it. My previous characters have Artifice and Cybertech so I was able to put my alt in orange gear and have them craft all the mods for it. I only used commendations for barrels and the companions I use are fully equipped in orange gear as well. I never had any problems doing any content, was over level for most planets, and reached level 50 while still on Belsavis.

So it is perfectly possible and even easy to level without doing the side quests if you run FPs or WZ, but only on an alt!

I disagree, with the caveat that what I'm about to say works for alts but not your first character.

My first two characters did every quest on every planet but on my third character I only did the class quest and main planet quest on planets after Tatooine. I ran a lot of Flashpoints instead but didn't take the XP perk because I didn't need it. My previous characters have Artifice and Cybertech so I was able to put my alt in orange gear and have them craft all the mods for it. I only used commendations for barrels and the companions I use are fully equipped in orange gear as well. I never had any problems doing any content, was over level for most planets, and reached level 50 while still on Belsavis.

So it is perfectly possible and even easy to level without doing the side quests if you run FPs or WZ, but only on an alt!

I find when I come up short on comms for mods I just upgrade the worst mods, then when I get comms from the next planet I do the same thing, it makes essentially for 2 sets of mods going, 1/2 a little under leveled 1/2 level appropriate.

Only time I don't take the comm reward is when they offer up the normally 7 comm Armoring as a prize vs 1 or 2 comms. But yeah I'm going swimmingly so far level 31.

I guess the best answer I can give is that a healthy balance of side quests and doing FPs and WZs is a good way to go. that "healthy balance" is dependent on the player though.

For example, on one of my alts, I tried to only do the class story on planets. And I accomplished this on most of them, however there were sections of the leveling process where I had to make a choice - put the story on hold while I ran FPs and WZs over and over in order to insure I was level appropriate for the class story quests, or bite the bullet and do A planet's worth of side questing. I chose the latter. You may choose the former.