Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forced Rename for preexisting characters on Destination server

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Forced Rename for preexisting characters on Destination server
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Chronox
09.18.2012 , 03:09 PM | #1
Hello,

With the advent of the server mergers I have found that three of my characters have been flagged for rename. All three of these characters existed on the designated destination servers prior to the merger. I have had these names for some time and I would like to retain them. I do not think that it is right that my characters should be flagged for rename when all three of them existed before the merger on servers that were marked as destinations. If they had been coming from Origin servers, I would understand that the names might already be taken, but that is not the case here. I have also filed a ticket through the normal process, but would appreciate it if this could be looked into.

Thank You,

Sutii
09.18.2012 , 03:17 PM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello Chronox,

We are aware that many players are being requested to rename some of their characters as a result of the Server Consolidation Process. Please rest assured that a number of differing factors were taken into account in order to ensure that the process was handled as fairly as possible, as we do appreciate how important character names are to our players.

More information can be found in our Server Consolidation FAQs, most notably the Will I keep my name when my server is consolidated? page.

Please also see the post from Joveth Gonzalez on this matter which I have quoted below.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please let us know.

Thanks.
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as character play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Fayrelle
09.18.2012 , 03:20 PM | #3
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=533430

I know..It sucks I lost a toon too. I'd rather delete than rename.

Chronox
09.18.2012 , 03:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post
Hello Chronox,

We are aware that many players are being requested to rename some of their characters as a result of the Server Consolidation Process. Please rest assured that a number of differing factors were taken into account in order to ensure that the process was handled as fairly as possible, as we do appreciate how important character names are to our players.

More information can be found in our Server Consolidation FAQs, most notably the Will I keep my name when my server is consolidated? page.

Please also see the post from Joveth Gonzalez on this matter which I have quoted below.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please let us know.

Thanks.
Thanks for your reply,

I have seen the other threads with similar postings and I'm still not pleased with the situation. In the case of these three characters they weren't the ones I played every day but still played on a regular basis. I understand that naming conflicts occur in a process like this but still, I did have the names on my destination server first. When I had to transfer from space slug to The Harbinger due to the "voluntary" transfer process I did not complain when I had to change my names because I knew that I was the one transferring in, it was on me to pick a name that was not taken at the time. This is a less voluntary change than that was but the situation is still the same, I had chosen those names for myself before the merger, the person or likely persons being merged in are the ones that should be forced to change.

Thank You,

DarthDackDaniels
09.18.2012 , 03:28 PM | #5
If you are going to take into account play time as a factor, then you should provide character name changes for EVERY character that was forced to change their names back in June taking into account the same factors.

This is completely outrageous that these name change rules were changed.

I am not a happy or satisfied customer.
"Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies"

Mustercriter
09.18.2012 , 03:39 PM | #6
Every game company apologizes for any inconience this may cause. Oh Bullcrap. They Do not care. I am sick of them always forcing people to freaking move to another server. It is their dang fault for having so many servers to begin with. If they can do all of this fancy computer crap, Why can't anyone incorporate the charatcer names w/ the legacy names and QUIT making people rename their toons? Or maybe it is too much work. I deleted a character rather than RENAME him. I am TICKED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are starting up with the SAME CRAP that WoW did. Good Luck keeping PAYING customers!

Tryedn
09.18.2012 , 03:39 PM | #7
i have the same problem with 1 character - SWTOR asked me to move my characters months ago and i did so with no problems - now after this update i am being asked to rename one of my favorite tunes. i'd almost rather just get back my money then have to change MY name because some other player decided he would wait to transfer . That is total BS - this means SWTOR is rewarding players who don't do what they are asked!!!

IOW's - why do anything SWTOR asks us to do? they apparently don't reward tentative players.

Heck i don't even feel like logging in ANY of my tunes right now!!!!

Wolfca
09.18.2012 , 04:10 PM | #8
I agree its wrong that a character that has been on the server since before the mergers is forced to change. I've been playing on nightmare lands for weeks under the name Becker and been told i have to change cos someone else with the name becker got merged to my server yesterday. that characters name was there first so should not be asked to changed. the ones that should change is the ones coming into the servers.

That's like telling me i have to change the name on my birth certificate because someone born an hour ago wants my name - totally wrong!

KurganNazzir
09.18.2012 , 04:18 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfca View Post
I agree its wrong that a character that has been on the server since before the mergers is forced to change. I've been playing on nightmare lands for weeks under the name Becker and been told i have to change cos someone else with the name becker got merged to my server yesterday. that characters name was there first so should not be asked to changed. the ones that should change is the ones coming into the servers.

That's like telling me i have to change the name on my birth certificate because someone born an hour ago wants my name - totally wrong!
All servers are new, we were all moved. The Nightmare Lands you were on yesterday is not the Nightmare Lands of today.
Dark Eclipse
GAF

LadyRaven
09.18.2012 , 04:21 PM | #10
I refuse to rename 2 of the 4 flagged. They were on my main server and are in my legacy. I don't care about the alts that were on other servers also now merged on one. But my mains...yes I do care.

I have been here since early access week. This and the Que business all over again is really too much.

If it wasn'r for BW's name on it I wouldn't even be playing. I steer clear of anything EA because how they treat customers and horrible CS.

What a waste of potential BW + SW.