Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Name changes

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Blackavaar
09.18.2012 , 03:12 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
Link? People keep saying that, but they seem to be making an inference that this is what happened.
Look at the High Population Servers and Consolidation Matrix link on this page. Note how your server is likely listed as both an Origin and Destination? That is because the Destination is the new mega server.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.

_Babydoll_
09.18.2012 , 03:12 PM | #122
Then please explain the factors. Why can't you just explain how it worked. I have a day 1 character on Harbinger that I have to change.
It's based on characters level and active account. I'm pretty sure that these are the requirements since I had a level 1 character overwrite a destination server original character names owner. None of the characters I been leveling were overwritten, but a place holder character was overwritten, which I'm confidant had I level it would not have been overwritten.

This consolidation feature also overwrite bank characters. This big mess would never have happen in wow. It would always be first come and first serve like it should be. What they should have done is allow people to petition names like in wow to release names. This current system doesn't do any thing to add more names. It doesn't really matter I'm canceling. They will be fallout from this too no matter what. They should have just finish transfers back july to have avoid a second round of bad rep.

Darkness_Squall
09.18.2012 , 03:14 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by _Babydoll_ View Post
I only had one problem with a name that I was using as a place holder for when paid xfers were available. Why should I have to give any names to other servers? Oddly, the exact same name on the server I want to transfer I got the name I lost on the server i wanted to transfer into. Go figure. The system isn't very smart since that character isn't even level 2 and it overwrite whoever had the name on the destination server.

This system isn't being fair to people who transfer in July since we don't get a crack at names with our old origin server names. It gives benefit to late transfers and people moving from a second server. This is uncalled for. Why should late transfers get any benefit of doubt while us early transfers had to force name changed all our characters.
No one made you take advantage of the free transfer service. No one had to "force name change" their characters. It all was 100% optional, and you made your decision. This server merge WAS forced. You're telling me that you, who intentionally sacrificed your character names to transfer early, should have priority over players who refused to transfer because they didn't want to lose their names?

blindpig
09.18.2012 , 03:17 PM | #124
Every MMO that I have ever played has always required those who change servers to change their names if someone on the server already has that name. This has always been the case even if it was not your choice to move. There have even been cases in other games, that have required the person who is moving to change their name even in the when the name was held by someone who has not played the game for years. This is always done to avoid making your long terms customers from getting as mad as everyone is right now. People generally understand that things change when you have to move. They quite reasonably do not understand why they should have to change for someone who is choosing to move or is being moved. This is especially true for those of us who have had names on the same server from the first hours of early access. It also holds true for those of us who have chosen to re-roll those same characters on the same server, because we did not like the class, advanced class, or maybe the character just did not look quite right.

On what should be a related topic:

Is there any reason why you could not keep the legacy names unique to the server and then tie the character names to the legacy? This would let everyone on the server use most any name they like without having to worry about someone else having the same name.

Darkness_Squall
09.18.2012 , 03:17 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by rovatek View Post
I've been on The Harbinger since the begining and still lost 7 out of 8 character names.

And I never got a gannifari pet either.

Screw this. I'm done with SWTOR.
Mmhmm. How long have you had an active subscription? What level were your characters? When were they created? How many hours of playtime did you sink into them? That's why.

Master-Nala
09.18.2012 , 03:17 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Look at the High Population Servers and Consolidation Matrix link on this page. Note how your server is likely listed as both an Origin and Destination? That is because the Destination is the new mega server.

That's an inference. Not a fact. It's a reasonable inference, but still, I would just like to know how this went down. It is an equally reasonable inference, that they increased the capacity of the Harbinger (my server) and just merged everything into it.

Screaming_Ziva
09.18.2012 , 03:18 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as character play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.
I don't understand why this was not done with the original server transfers. My level 50 main lost her name to a level 13 when she transferred. That level 13 is still level 13. If I waited until the forced transfers, I would have been able to keep her name? That makes zero sense.

_Babydoll_
09.18.2012 , 03:18 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkness_Squall View Post
No one made you take advantage of the free transfer service. It was 100% optional, and you made your decision. The server merge was forced. You're telling me that you, who intentionally sacrificed your character names to transfer early, should have priority over players who refused to transfer because they didn't want to lose their names?
I frankly I don't care, but I do know how to vote with my wallet like those players who refuse to transfer. If BW thinks they will avoided subscription losses they are wrong. This second round of consolidation is favoritism. They don't want those people to cancel their subscription so in order to appease they put new rules in place for consolidating the servers. Had these exact same rules applied back when the majority transfer I would have no problem.

I'm cancel both my accounts this time for good over this gambit by BW to retain subscribers who didn't transfer back in July, which is clearly favors them in acquiring names over the rest us who transferred back in July.

Wodaz
09.18.2012 , 03:19 PM | #129
That's an inference. Not a fact. It's a reasonable inference, but still, I would just like to know how this went down.
Well I think its more then a reasonable inference based on people's complaints that they have day one characters on day one servers(Current Destination Servers) and still have to rename there characters.
"Wodaz here! I'm all about havin' fun. You know, get a couple cocktails in me, start a fire in someone's kitchen. Maybe go to SeaWorld, take my pants off. Anyway, I'm kinda known for my catch phrase WHAMMY!!!!!"

Jacen_Starsolo
09.18.2012 , 03:21 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post

There are more than one thing on that page that does not make it seem so as well. They are not very clear is the bottom line.

And I lost a couple of names but now I wonder if I would have not lost some last time if I just waited for this different standard they used.