Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Arkerus
09.19.2012 , 06:34 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by billyconnite View Post
Who cares...

How is this worthy of front-page news? lol...

How about fixing your game engine instead, then move onto the petty little improvements.
Maybe you missed the part about optimizations. Try reading.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

billyconnite
09.19.2012 , 06:58 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
Maybe you missed the part about optimizations. Try reading.
Umm... Shadow optimizations? Lol... You're funny - Sorry, try doing some testing and research - Any decent rig can far outperform this game engines limitations, unfortunately no amount of hardware can actually substitute for a broken engine. Shadow optimization, great... Not my issue at all, everything on high, everything on low, you will receive the exact same bottlenecks in warzones, some operations, and high population areas due to this games pathetic engine. This is with any PC. Let's not debate this here.

Read my thread here, and find countless others, then we'll talk: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=507316
Kramer // Cake is Real // Giddy Up

Nikei
09.19.2012 , 09:28 AM | #73
It is a step forward. It is not a step forward that is going to make me re-subscribe in and of itself, but it is a weight in the positive side of the balance pans as I decide what to do at the end of my next 3-month billing cycle. I look forward to seeing it and hope that it represents an affordable gain in realism on my rig when overall FPS is concerned.

Marry these changes to more things to do in game (especially for non-raiders), a more modern suite of cosmetic features, and some general improvements in load speed and high traffic handling and maybe I'll hand over the next ~$45.

Blightspawn
09.19.2012 , 10:54 AM | #74
This is really cool. But unfortunately, I have shadows turned off so that the game will run more smoothly . . .
Chaotic Benevolence

Blightspawn
09.19.2012 , 10:56 AM | #75
Umm... Shadow optimizations? Lol... You're funny - Sorry, try doing some testing and research - Any decent rig can far outperform this game engines limitations, unfortunately no amount of hardware can actually substitute for a broken engine. Shadow optimization, great... Not my issue at all, everything on high, everything on low, you will receive the exact same bottlenecks in warzones, some operations, and high population areas due to this games pathetic engine. This is with any PC. Let's not debate this here.

Read my thread here, and find countless others, then we'll talk: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=507316
I'm running SWTOR on a bootcamped Mac and the game doesn't have any bottleneck issues. If that doesn't bother it, then I'm sure there's a way to have PCs work the same way.
Chaotic Benevolence

Solar_Breeze
09.19.2012 , 12:23 PM | #76
Would be interested to know the metrics on the % of active players with shadows turned on if they can be provided.

For me optimizing an optional area doesn't seem so productive compared to a mandatory area would be interesting to see if the majority of players do play with shadows turned on.

Nice job though, I'm sure it will make fixed screenshots look a bit better.

Arkerus
09.19.2012 , 01:56 PM | #77

In addition to these functional changes, there have been numerous optimizations made to the underlying core technology to reduce the load on the player’s computer. In most cases, players should notice an improvement to framerate compared to the previous system. Players with high-end AMD CrossFire or Nvidia SLI machines should notice a large improvement when running the game with the new shadow system.

OK?
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Nerfherd
09.19.2012 , 03:07 PM | #78
[QUOTE=JonathanCP;5169340]Although the shadows are indeed pretty on the PTS, I can sadly tell that the promised optimization for SLI setups is NOT working.

I'm getting 60+ FPS whatever the settings on live servers.

On the PTS, whenever I put the shadows on high, it drops to 28-30... Even with today's patch (it even got a little worse?)

Dual GTX 570 with latest NVidia drivers.
[QUOTE]

Got to agree. Nice that shadows might be less silly looking, but perf got worse with this patch, so no chance of me getting to see them. Honestly, base perf is just awful, please fix that before worrying about frills.
Having to have an SLI set up to enable shadows is lame.

Riizen
09.19.2012 , 03:08 PM | #79
WHY DOES bioware waste their time fixing somehting that is not a major issue. Alot of people I know and play with would rather see content be released, or a ton of bugs be fixed than to see shadows a little clearer. SO close to unsubscribing.

Kamansus
09.19.2012 , 04:41 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Riizen View Post
WHY DOES bioware waste their time fixing somehting that is not a major issue. Alot of people I know and play with would rather see content be released, or a ton of bugs be fixed than to see shadows a little clearer. SO close to unsubscribing.
Yes, what they should really do is make a big patch full of new content and bug fixes and put it on the PTS for us to test it.

Because this is the internet, I'll point out that that was sarcasm (They did, if you didn't notice). Them renovating their shadowing method and improving performance on top of consolidating servers and giving us extra free character slots is icing on the cake. But yes, let us all continue to complain like entitled children and immaturely threaten to unsubscribe in order to get whatever our message is across.

Oh, I accidentally ended up in General Discussion, that explains it. Well, enjoy your angst, I'm getting out of here.