Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JonathanCP
09.17.2012 , 06:21 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Unfortunately, the performance gain for Nvidia SLI powered systems doesn't appear to hold true, at least on my computer. To the contrary, my dual GTX 580 3GB Nvidia SLI powered PC (which I think is rather high-end - see the bottom of this post for detailed system specs), I am experiencing a massive performance loss with the new shadows on Public Test 1.4 compared to 1.3 on live. Two areas are all of Alderaan where there is lots of grass as well as the Jedi Knight's Defender' starship's big room with the big holocom in it (just examples, most areas of the game are affected by this performance hit). Framerate is halved from live (from around ~50 down to ~20 FPS on Alderaan, from 110FPS down to 43 FPS on the defender). The game also runs a lot more choppy with framerate being far less inconsistent in 1.4. 1.4 with new shadows is nigh-unplayable on my machine with the same settings as 1.3 with the old shadows.
Both 1.3 and 1.4 run on the "Very High" Graphics Quality Preset, at 1920x1080@60Hz, Full Screen (Windowed), same with proper Full Screen mode. I'm using 4x Multisampling FSAA + 2x SGSAA Transparency Anti-Aliasing. I'm using Nvidia's latest WHQL GeForce driver, 306.23.

Which video cards did your testers test with and which driver versions did they use? Perhaps you have tested with unreleased or older drivers?

With that in mind, I think it would be a good idea to leave the old shadows in as an option. Perhaps you leave the old, blocky, more static shadows for the High Shadow setting and then use the new, dynamic shadows/Ambient Occlusion as new, Very High shadow setting.

If you can't keep the old, more performant shadows as an additional option, it may be a good idea to leave the new shadows out until you have implemented DirectX 11 support (for increased performance) and a native x64 client.

Here are my system specs:
Spoiler

I tried to post my Dxdiag.txt as well, but unfortunately, the post would exceed the maximum character limit for posts as I have so many devices installed, sorry.
EDITED (cauz I made a mistake)

My issue was "fixed" by disabling the SLI in the NVidia software,

Using SLI and drivers 301.42 OR 306.23 does not work with the new high shadow settings.
If your thread title is not a variation on "open letter... BIOWARE,... fail... NOW!", then you are a fanboy

Quinntenfelde
09.17.2012 , 06:25 PM | #32
BW keep stuff like this up and people will stop leaving, good job. maybe try to fix the load screens? its stuff like this that make people happy.

Sarfux
09.17.2012 , 06:26 PM | #33
Very great to see this game coming together and into it's own more and more ! I am VERY excited to see these changes happening and believe this game will last a very long time. Congratulations on the game and I hope to see more of these little fixes more often. Things like this excite me!

Glad to see the game is being worked on!

See haters THEY DO CARE!!
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

Nastynas
09.17.2012 , 06:27 PM | #34
Great change.

The games shadows were embarrassing.
-the Kingslayer
-14th Prestige Black Ops

metalfenix
09.17.2012 , 06:28 PM | #35
Graphic optimizations are always welcome devs.
Koltowolf'Raf Commando Healer / Raf'HiredHealer Mercenary Healer
Rafa-el Scoundrel Healer
Server: The Harbinger

Sarfux
09.17.2012 , 06:30 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Quinntenfelde View Post
BW keep stuff like this up and people will stop leaving, good job. maybe try to fix the load screens? its stuff like this that make people happy.

I could see something in the future happening like

Load time optimization in 1.8! We have now the technology to further reduce the load times dramatically for everything in Star Wars: The Old Republic. For example, say you are on Belsavis and need to load to do dailies back and forth between your ship, well, the technology we now have available cuts that time in half or virtually seamless! Enjoy yourselves!!

Or something like that. The more and more they work out their own code for the heroengine and the more tools that become available within hero engine, I believe we will see things getting done faster because the heroengine is capable of A LOT more than other engines are. Faster to. The more they just optimize like this, the more it will become better

Mentor System

saremun
09.17.2012 , 06:40 PM | #37
great job

Sarfux
09.17.2012 , 06:40 PM | #38
you know what? I can really see slowly but surely and dynamic heroengine day/night cycle unique for every planet come in this game at SOME point. They just need to figure out how to do it to keep the art very nice. Because the art style is very nice. I think in time everything will be in. Just be patient

Mentor System

Ailie
09.17.2012 , 06:50 PM | #39
There were a number of things I'd rather the Devs worked on than shadow textures. Like enabling cross server queues, balancing pvp so it's worth playing something other than a sentinel or scoundrel, create new craftable items so it's worth levelling something other than Biochem, you get the idea.

JonathanCP
09.17.2012 , 06:53 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Ailie View Post
There were a number of things I'd rather the Devs worked on than shadow textures. Like enabling cross server queues, balancing pvp so it's worth playing something other than a sentinel or scoundrel, create new craftable items so it's worth levelling something other than Biochem, you get the idea.
The 3d software team is NOT going to fix the PvP balance, nor create new items. Is that so hard to understand?
If your thread title is not a variation on "open letter... BIOWARE,... fail... NOW!", then you are a fanboy