Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Thoffs
10.05.2012 , 05:20 PM | #191
I was fine (smooth on highest settings, no complaints at all) until the 1.40b update on Oct 2nd, and then wham -- stuttering all over the place. This is ridiculous.

Roll back the graphic changes and get the game stable again!!!!!!

DarkSideTOR
10.05.2012 , 05:39 PM | #192
My FPS stays in the 60s on the fleet and in combat but there's awful stuttering all the time. My connection is still in the 20-30 ms, I have the latest drivers for my SLI setup which runs other newer games in high settings just fine, so this has to be something you implemented recently.

I have tried turning down graphics, turning off shadows, etc, and it still stutters like crazy.

Slurmez
10.05.2012 , 05:41 PM | #193
Time invested in something only a fraction of the player population wants and break the game for the majority of the players with inane stuttering. BW are retaining the wrong people it seems.

OptionExplicit
10.05.2012 , 06:17 PM | #194
My game stutters but the frame rate stays the same. There is no visible difference between any graphic setting combination. It really reminds me of micro stuttering but I have a single card. I have no other issues in other video games.

gtx-670
i5-3570k
8g ram
z77 chipset

Please fix this problem, it drives me insane and I can barely stand playing the game.

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.05.2012 , 06:29 PM | #195
I love the new shadows, hope liighting FX are next on the list

netslayer
10.05.2012 , 07:49 PM | #196
jumps between 50 and 60 fps constantly now with shadows off even it is like playing a slideshow.
And BW is silent on the subject because they really dont know what they did wrong because they dont know what they are doing to begin with.
I7 3960x (4.6 ghz) Asus Rampage IV ExtremeCorsair Vengeance 16gb quad channel 1333Ocz Vertex 3AMD Gigabyte 7970Corsair AX1200w PSU

netslayer
10.07.2012 , 08:02 AM | #197
we want answers.
I7 3960x (4.6 ghz) Asus Rampage IV ExtremeCorsair Vengeance 16gb quad channel 1333Ocz Vertex 3AMD Gigabyte 7970Corsair AX1200w PSU

Khosann
10.09.2012 , 02:53 AM | #198
It seems the upcoming patch (Oct. 9 2012) won't solve any shadow, UI and nameplate issues. Because they said that they are still investigating. The game is nearly unplayable at Alderaan. I have GTX 580. I don't accept any performance issues. Especially if before patch 1.4 the game was running at 60 fps! I PAY this game. I want quality experience. Or I WILL cancel my subscription.

Still investigating what Bioware? UI causes heavy stuttering. Nameplates causing heavy stuttering. Because these shadows are not new. They are an old beta build feature. All you have to do is to take shadows from beta build and put them into the latest graphics card optimized build.

If your game can't run or GTX 580 (a directx 9, old engine game) what good are you?

Besides why do you add Shadow Borders on creatures, NPCs, people? Those fake shadows look worse than Mass Effect 1. Crysis 2 comes with global illumination y'know? Besides I am not against new shadow formula. Just remove the stupid fake shadow borders from UI, nameplates, loot light shafts and creatures. The game will return to normal than even with the new shadows.

You also removed the grass transparency supersampling optimization from the game. Fix it!
There is no mistake.

Asavrede
10.09.2012 , 04:21 AM | #199
I run a single GPU and I DID get improved performance from disabling shadows (a lot better). But performance is still a LOT worse than in 1.3! Stuttering, framerate drops, corruption - space missions are plain painful now as well due to the poor performance.

morfius
10.09.2012 , 07:42 AM | #200
No matter of GPU - only thing that save us (at least me & my wife - Nvidia 670m & Ati 6750) from stuttering is forcing shadows remove... by the moment only way I know is setting Shaders complexity to very low.
Shadows to off simply doesn't do it.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."