Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Glzmo
09.17.2012 , 04:50 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hello everyone,

Please discuss this week's Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4 blog in this thread!
Might be a good idea to upgrade the Engine to DirectX 11 for this to save some performance.

Also, will these engine upgrades make the engine more friendly towards chat bubbles (when can we expect them?), and GUI frames in general? Or is optimization for that next on the list for 1.4.1 or so?

xorcist
09.17.2012 , 04:52 PM | #12
OMG!

This is very encouraging news!

I have been running the game with shadows disabled because it did not really improve my play experience with it enabled, as my FPS was seriously suffering and the game was unplayable for the most part. Very pleased to hear about the other optimizations as well. Next, we'll need to see some fixes with environmental lighting / light sources.
"There is no calamity greater than lavish desires....
And there is no greater disaster than greed
."

Tiranea
09.17.2012 , 04:57 PM | #13
That's great news, the blocky shadows were the one thing that really bothered me about the graphics whenever I took screenshots.
My personal SWTOR Fan Blog: Going Commando

Skodan
09.17.2012 , 05:02 PM | #14
thats nice. ill stick with the shadows turned off though, will keep my performance up
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

xxadamtxx
09.17.2012 , 05:02 PM | #15
Hm, Thats pretty cool you guys are changing that. Ive never even seen that in game haha!
ADAM!!!!!

Selvec
09.17.2012 , 05:05 PM | #16
Next on the list, DX11 Rewrite.

alifaraaz
09.17.2012 , 05:07 PM | #17
It may just be shadows but it also mentions general game optimazations. This is a great step in the right direction if it works out well looking forward to it.

It's also evidence that they have no intent on letting this.game die.like so many haters wish. F2P, content and game optimisations, all steps to improve the game
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

Jacen_Starsolo
09.17.2012 , 05:08 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Hexxas View Post
omce again totaly useless crap in a patch , FFS fix the damm issues instead of spenting time on useless stuff like this !
the forced server merges is also in tomorrow's patch btw.

phill-fry
09.17.2012 , 05:10 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Hexxas View Post
omce again totaly useless crap in a patch , FFS fix the damm issues instead of spenting time on useless stuff like this !
I don't see how this is useless tbh , I for one am an aesthetics type of guy having improved shadows will greatly improve immersion when playing the game and also this is just one part of 1.4 not the entire patch there's also much more content related stuff if that's what your wining about.

Keep up the good work BW, how about adding a day/night sequence now?
"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege. "

Izorii
09.17.2012 , 05:12 PM | #20
Cant say I have ever noticed a problem with shadows, cant say I would have picked this as something I wanted changed, and can think of a hundred things I would rather have development time spent on but a lot of people seem happy with it, so who am I to complain.