Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Overdoser
09.27.2012 , 02:05 AM | #121
was experiencing the drop in framerate all day and tried lowering shadows, disabling it but did not help performance. then i found this thread and after i disable the nameplate scaling the fps increase significantly back to normal levels. this while shadows are still set at high settings so it's definitely the nameplates scaling. i'm using gtx 680 sli btw

Bloodstealer
09.27.2012 , 02:22 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by SenatorPalpaTANG View Post
Yep, running shadows on High last night I was capped at 60fps (V-synced). Log in today and I'm struggling to manage 30 at the same settings with my SLI 560 Ti cards...

Come on, Bioware.
Yep I agree.. I have the same cards in SLi and struggling to see what your calling an improvement Bioware.. though at least you were getting 30FPS.. I was seeing alot of single digit rubbish across Tattoonie and fleet was pretty much a slideshow.

I am guessing they just slapped out the update to appease those that would jump down the throats on here if they missed their latest 6 week content turnaround statement.. slap it in then spend the next week or two fixing it with patches to patch a patch that was meant to patch other patches....... same story, same outcome.. is this the shape of things to come?
Leader of The Misfits & Mercenaries Guild.
Death or Glory - It's all just a game to me!

ChELiOS_
09.27.2012 , 02:28 AM | #123
GTX 570 SLI here and I've got bad stuttering. Tried shadows on and off, no difference

goldarken
09.27.2012 , 02:47 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by JonathanCP View Post
Lol. A single GTX 570 is way more than enough to play this game at high settings, with 60+ FPS.

See this thread about the SLI issue on the PTS, and test it yourself instead of bragging around

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=532684
i got a gtx 550 ti with a 1,8 ghz dual core and 4 gig of ram and i run it in full quality
And it run just fine !!!!!! What the game need right now is code cleaning and optimization and i am pretty sure that the game requirement could go way lower without affecting the visual quality of the game ...

Caltone
09.27.2012 , 07:06 AM | #125
My FPS were awful after the patch. I am running CrossfireX 5770's with crossfire enabled. When I turned shadows to low, FPS is now acceptable. I also noted the flickering in my mini map and map which is noted in this thread as a crossfire issue that was addressed on PTS but apparently reintroduced with the patch. I am running the latest drivers (12.8)
When in doubt empty the magazine

Goretzu
09.27.2012 , 07:10 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Spittle View Post
This is a good improvement, but should have been optimised a long time ago.

I've just turned them off, drops my GPU temp by a good 20 degress celsius.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

snoooze
09.27.2012 , 07:21 AM | #127
I had been playing this game on the highest settings. All of a sudden every time I walked I would get this weird stuttering.I tried it in different areas. Since I was on Dromund Kaas I figured it was the planet. There are some areas in the game where your framerate drops for whatever reason that I've not been explained. So I went to the fleet and it was a little better on the fleet. I went to Belsavis and started fighting and there was the stuttering again. There were more models present on the fleet then when I was questing so it made no sense that with fewer models on the screen that I was still getting the stuttering. I then set all the settings to low and it completely wiped the stuttering away. The problem is I dont play the game this way. I want my pretty graphics and be able to play my favorite game. It's the reason I spent a lot of money on a new rig. There must be an answer that is over my head because I dont know **** about game engineering or whatever. I just want the same game I was playing back. What changed except the patch? I've decided that I will not be getting MoP in order to keep supporting this game. Please dont make me stop playing because of this stupid ****.

Intel Core i5-2500
Zotac AMP2 GeForce GTX 580 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
12GB Memory

I shouldn't be having these issues.

Rogoo
09.27.2012 , 07:22 AM | #128
Quote:
Players with high-end AMD CrossFire or Nvidia SLI machines should notice a large improvement when running the game with the new shadow system.
But... but... but... you freaking broke it ?

Great job.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

Bleakmage
09.27.2012 , 08:22 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by xorcist View Post
This is anything but "useless" as you put it. Increasing the optimization of the Engine should be #1 on the list. After all, it is the foundation of the game. Since the Engine is very poor at the moment, its limitations are still staggering. But this is a step in the right direction.
LMAO at your signature, lolz!

Urael
09.27.2012 , 08:45 AM | #130
I am going to add my displeasure to the "shaow optimization in 1.4". If by optimization you ment that:
  1. I would have a drop in FPS
  2. Stuttering
  3. would have to turn OFF shadows and drop shading to the lowest level
and still have problems. You succeeded.

I have never had any problems with stuttering before patch 1.4.